SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set to pick up my XC90 T8 on Wednesday from the dealership, until they called to say it didn't pass their inspection so they couldn't let me buy it. The plug to charge it doesn't seem to make a connection within the vehicle to allow it to take a charge (I posted about this 2 days ago but no one responded so I'm guessing I'm the only one who has had this issue). The dealer told me Wednesday that he's getting a new T8 for the dealership (supposedly) yesterday and he has no problem switching out the part, but since they've never had their hands on this model before they don't know really which part to swap out until the Volvo technical expert comes to their dealership (with unknown ETA). The last 2 days I've investigated back-up plans - Audi Q7, Range Rover Sport, Cadillac Escalade, Porsche Cayenne - but I really just want the Volvo XC90 T8! So how viable are these options:

1) instead of swapping parts, potentially just take delivery of the vehicle that the dealer ordered (as long as it's configured close to what I'd wanted)
2) since my trade-in is losing value by the day, convince the dealer that for every day my car sits unfixed at their dealership they should take off $100 from MSRP (incentivize them to find the fix faster!)
3) complete the purchase and treat it like it's "in for service" so that dealership provides me a loaner T6
4) maybe since it was delivered with a serious flaw Volvo would be able to expedite shipping a replacement vehicle?

I'm just concerned they don't seem motivated enough to make this right... when they initially called me to tell me about this problem I would expect them to follow it up with "We called Volvo, they said it's x-part and it's being overnighted to us" instead of "yeah, we really don't know what the issue is, we have to wait for someone to come look at it, we don't know when he/she will be here, we don't know when we'll have more information."

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry to hear, it must be tough to have the excitement of a new vehicle dashed like this. Another bargaining chip might be to ask for a Volvo VIP extended warranty once your T8 is sorted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear, it must be tough to have the excitement of a new vehicle dashed like this. Another bargaining chip might be to ask for a Volvo VIP extended warranty once your T8 is sorted.
Very good idea.... and here I was just thinking of what accessories they could throw in for free.... but VIP extended warranty makes more sense!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I would wait for them to make the repair. You have waited long enough for the T8, give them the chance to work through the issue that has arisen and I am sure you will be enjoying it very soon!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I guess it really depends on what the issue is ... I saw your post in the other thread - not many people have T8's (I do) so that's one reason why the lack of response. (I honestly can't imagine what the issue is with the connection.)

Your dealer has unlikely seen a T8 as well - though they may have sent a tech off to some schooling to get an overview.

If it doesn't look like a major issue - I'd consummate the deal (even though you can't take delivery due to quality issues). And then ask the dealer to provide you with a loaner until the vehicle is ready for delivery. That way you dispose of your trade ...

I wouldn't trade my T8 for any of those other cars you listed! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it really depends on what the issue is ... I saw your post in the other thread - not many people have T8's (I do) so that's one reason why the lack of response. (I honestly can't imagine what the issue is with the connection.)

Your dealer has unlikely seen a T8 as well - though they may have sent a tech off to some schooling to get an overview.

If it doesn't look like a major issue - I'd consummate the deal (even though you can't take delivery due to quality issues). And then ask the dealer to provide you with a loaner until the vehicle is ready for delivery. That way you dispose of your trade ...

I wouldn't trade my T8 for any of those other cars you listed! :)
Looks like the car I ordered will be your twin! The dealer called and said they ordered the part and are anticipating having it ready within the next 24 hours if all goes well. I just happened to see they recently updated their online inventory and are showing my car... but without the 'dealer added' tow hitch and rear entertainment. After what I've read here I'd be fine if they left those off completely and I'll tackle the tow hitch when they figure out a more aesthetically pleasing way to incorporate!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I was set to pick up my XC90 T8 on Wednesday from the dealership, until they called to say it didn't pass their inspection so they couldn't let me buy it. The plug to charge it doesn't seem to make a connection within the vehicle to allow it to take a charge (I posted about this 2 days ago but no one responded so I'm guessing I'm the only one who has had this issue).
I've missed you're previous post but had exact the same problem. The T8 has to communicate with the wall station to figure-out maximal charge current. In my case it wasn't the plug inside the T8 but a bad connection inside the 'pistol' of the charger provide with the car. Simply by testing with another charger we found the problem directly. With the V60PIH on the market for some time, the dealer had enough experience to notice it directly. Did your dealer had the possibility to use another charger?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've missed you're previous post but had exact the same problem. The T8 has to communicate with the wall station to figure-out maximal charge current. In my case it wasn't the plug inside the T8 but a bad connection inside the 'pistol' of the charger provide with the car. Simply by testing with another charger we found the problem directly. With the V60PIH on the market for some time, the dealer had enough experience to notice it directly. Did your dealer had the possibility to use another charger?
I'm not alone!! Interesting idea... apparently there were 2 T8's on my shipment, but they inspected and delivered the first one before inspecting mine. So no chance to swap out the pistol until the next T8 is scheduled to arrive at the dealer (supposedly any day). I'm planning to drop by the dealer this afternoon if only to "visit" my car I've been waiting months for! The dealer already ordered a new plug inside the T8 - he told me it should arrive today, but the customer service person emailed me a couple hours later to give me the 'great news' the part will be here next week! I will definitely bring up your experience when I stop by to determine if they can test that. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Good point - the cable supplied with the vehicle (not sure what is provided in NL ... we get the dual voltage TurboCord EV in the US & CA) is more than just an extension cord - it has active electronics in it that communicate with the car. Trying another cable - even if the vehicle has to be driving to a third party charging station - may not be a bad idea!

My dealer noted that when they had received my vehicle they had neither a charging station or 240 VAC outlet ... so they had to use the cable supplied with my vehicle for charging the battery and testing the systems. For now I keep the cable with me at all times in the event I need any kind of electrical service

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was set to pick up my XC90 T8 on Wednesday from the dealership, until they called to say it didn't pass their inspection so they couldn't let me buy it. The plug to charge it doesn't seem to make a connection within the vehicle to allow it to take a charge (I posted about this 2 days ago but no one responded so I'm guessing I'm the only one who has had this issue). The dealer told me Wednesday that he's getting a new T8 for the dealership (supposedly) yesterday and he has no problem switching out the part, but since they've never had their hands on this model before they don't know really which part to swap out until the Volvo technical expert comes to their dealership (with unknown ETA). The last 2 days I've investigated back-up plans - Audi Q7, Range Rover Sport, Cadillac Escalade, Porsche Cayenne - but I really just want the Volvo XC90 T8! So how viable are these options:

1) instead of swapping parts, potentially just take delivery of the vehicle that the dealer ordered (as long as it's configured close to what I'd wanted)
2) since my trade-in is losing value by the day, convince the dealer that for every day my car sits unfixed at their dealership they should take off $100 from MSRP (incentivize them to find the fix faster!)
3) complete the purchase and treat it like it's "in for service" so that dealership provides me a loaner T6
4) maybe since it was delivered with a serious flaw Volvo would be able to expedite shipping a replacement vehicle?

I'm just concerned they don't seem motivated enough to make this right... when they initially called me to tell me about this problem I would expect them to follow it up with "We called Volvo, they said it's x-part and it's being overnighted to us" instead of "yeah, we really don't know what the issue is, we have to wait for someone to come look at it, we don't know when he/she will be here, we don't know when we'll have more information."
Upto you really. If its a minor fix, ask for a discount due to delayed delivery, take it and move on. I can only guess how long a new order will take. Warranty is a good idea, but please read the warranty terms before signing on the dotted line. Soo many people seem to hear warranty and then turn off their brain, only to realize later how warranty has its limitations.

If you feel the car will not be upto your standards, and feel its necessary to move on. You can do that as well. The dealership will not be faced with any hardship since T8s are a hot commodity. You will be able to figure out what you want.

Your situation is great one to be in, since you have yet to take delivery. Once you accept delivery is where we get into trouble.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going to have to start a new thread now... went by the dealer and they majorly screwed up the order, this is a MUCH bigger issue now!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Good point - the cable supplied with the vehicle (not sure what is provided in NL ... we get the dual voltage TurboCord EV in the US & CA) is more than just an extension cord - it has active electronics in it that communicate with the car.
The idea of checking the maximal available/allowable current to be supllied to the T8 is the same for the US and Europe. Of course, both continents use a different protocol and plug. In europe you get this charger from the German brand Mennekes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts