SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume 2-4 days before delivery?

Do OSD vehicles go through any extra processes or steps such as extra inspections, etc?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I assume 2-4 days before delivery?

Do OSD vehicles go through any extra processes or steps such as extra inspections, etc?
Anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month before delivery.

No extra process. Same as the cars sent directly to the selling country.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,805 Posts
Anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month before delivery.
I wonder about that. We had a delivery date of April 24, 2014 for our XC60. The manufactured date on the label on the B-pillar says 10/13. That was the same month we placed our order. Can you explain that?

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Production schedules are issued and both US dealers and the OSD staff have access to production slots. If there was an open production slot, then OSD
may have grabbed it and had the vehicle built...rather than wait to potentially find that there were no open slots for the vehicle you wanted. Once an OSD order is
placed, they usually try to get the next available production slot.
For example....if you ordered a new XC90 today....there is not an open production slot until mid-late summer.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,805 Posts
If there was an open production slot, then OSD may have grabbed it and had the vehicle built...rather than wait to potentially find that there were no open slots for the vehicle you wanted.
Bob,

Thanks for the explanation. That's kind of what I thought happened. I believe we placed our order right at the deadline for OSD vehicles. That being the case, there were probably not a lot of available slots before production ceased in order to prepare for the 2015 production run.

So... where do they store vehicles that aren't scheduled for pick until several months later?

BTW... Absolutely loving our XC60 R-Design. Thanks for your help making it happen.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We asked for a delivery date late this coming April. On our order confirmation, Volvo said that changes to the order will not be accepted after the first business day in March.

This sounds like they are trying to give themselves flexibility to slot our car in the schedule up to 6 or 8 weeks before delivery date.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
We asked for a delivery date late this coming April. On our order confirmation, Volvo said that changes to the order will not be accepted after the first business day in March.

This sounds like they are trying to give themselves flexibility to slot our car in the schedule up to 6 or 8 weeks before delivery date.
Correct. Every production slot has a deadline, or as we call it "last day of change", up to which changes can be made. Once that deadline passes, that slot does not automatically go into production; it can remain "car on paper" for weeks...

It is a global ordering system and the U.S.-bound cars are just a part of a giant puzzle that keeps its pieces moving around; when it's time for the "U.S. pieces" to fall in place, then they enter the production chain. It all has to do with global production timing, suppliers for cars that go to that part of the world and vessel schedules.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I wonder about that. We had a delivery date of April 24, 2014 for our XC60. The manufactured date on the label on the B-pillar says 10/13. That was the same month we placed our order. Can you explain that?
Nothing really to explain; Bob is correct above plus you could have chosen a car that was already built. OSD builds certain cars and they maintain a small stock.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Ordered ours in October 2011 for April 2012 pickup, car was built in December 2011. Custom build (ordered options normally only in packages, did not order full package).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Correct. Every production slot has a deadline, or as we call it "last day of change", up to which changes can be made. Once that deadline passes, that slot does not automatically go into production; it can remain "car on paper" for weeks...

It is a global ordering system and the U.S.-bound cars are just a part of a giant puzzle that keeps its pieces moving around; when it's time for the "U.S. pieces" to fall in place, then they enter the production chain. It all has to do with global production timing, suppliers for cars that go to that part of the world and vessel schedules.
This is standard production scheduling processes. In addition to Volvo's production line there are the capabilities of all the suppliers to consider. For instance, Nissan was not able to ship cars with their nav/foglights for a while in 2012 -- the supplier factories were impacted by the tsunami.

There are tradeoffs between a "fully utilized" production line (highest utilization) and one with some "slack" to allow room for closures or slow suppliers or even late orders. It wouldn't be much fun to have to order 6 months in advance...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ours was built a few months (6 I think) before delivery. BMW does just in time, so our OSD M3 was built 2 weeks prior to delivery. That's way more nerve wracking, believe me!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would prefer a shorter lead time, maybe a month. Are there any issues with a car sitting around, not driven, for that long?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would prefer a shorter lead time, maybe a month. Are there any issues with a car sitting around, not driven, for that long?
I wouldn't necessarily think so. Certainly not any more than a car sitting for a month or so then shipped then sitting for however many months at the dealership. Then it goes on test drives, people fart in the seats, etc etc. :eek: Kidding aside, I don't think it matters really, I'm sure they are stored in some warehouse and kept from elements for most part.

·
Registered
2015 XC60 T6
26 Posts
According to the bill of sale, our 2015 XC60 was built on May 7, 2014 in Belgium. We picked it up at the factory delivery center in Gothenburg on July 3, 2014. I don't know how long it sat around in Belgium before it was shipped to Gothenburg, or whether it was stored inside or outside, or some of both. There were 4km on the odometer when we drove it away.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started this thread, only fitting I finish it.

Order was placed Jan 2 2015, with an OSD delivery date of Apr 17.

Plate on the door shows car was made Feb 2015.

Q.E.D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts