SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new '06 S40 T5 FWD automatic and have several little problems (well hopefully they're just "areas of concern"). The first is that when the AC is on and cycles, there is quite a bit of wheezing from the unit; and after I turn the car off it emits one long, last gasp. <p>What worries me even more though, is that at low speeds when I step on the accelerator from zero load (like during slowly moving bumper to bumper traffic) I hear a slight but distinctive "clunk" from the drive train. When I take my foot off the accelerator I hear the clunk again. This seems to be present only at slow speeds, but between +- 15MPH to 30MPH or so it's always there, even when just lightly getting on the gas.<p>I addressed both of problems with my local dealer. The chief mechanic took a drive and says they're nothing to worry about - they are simply "Volvo" noises. Since this is my first Volvo I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. I agree - as he says - that different makes of automobiles have their own peculiar noises. But at the same time I have owned many cars over the years - both new and some quite old - and a wheezing AC or a clunking drive train always seemed to mean that something was wrong. It's certainly not what I would expect to be "normal" in a modern, brand new car.<p>Anybody out there have similar experiences? Should I get a second opinion from a different dealer? What are your thoughts? Thanks for all input.<p>

·
Registered
694 Posts
Re: wheezy AC, clunking drive train (jizerky)

I see neither were addressed in the newer years. Both are common 'annoyances'...<p>The noise from the AC is commonly referred to as a dog barking in the distance.<p>As far as the drive train, I thought it was only in the manuals, but perhaps it's in the autos also. It sounds if the drive train isn't assembled correctly.<p>In the future, expect (but hopefully address for your model year)<br>- all kinds of noise coming from different areas of the cabin<br>- the seat back pivots back about an inch during accelleration.<br>- e-brake needing to be pulled far to secure the car.<br>- lots of brake dust.<p>Otherwise, enjoy your car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2005 S40 2.0D SE Sport with 6 speed manual. Mine also makes a clunk on sharp torque reversal. More noticeable at low speed and also when changing up into 5th or 6th gear if the engine revs are lower than the gearbox input revs. Slow engagement of the clutch or ensuring engine speed is higher than the gearbox speed seems to avoid the clunk. A courtesy car with the same engine also had the same noise but to a lesser extent. It may be due to the dual mass flywheel which is supposed to even out changes in torque. If it is common to many of these vehicles then it would seem to be an annoying characteristic. Would be good to know from Volvo if this is supposed to be normal and that no damage is occurring. I have not experienced this on any other make of car owned. Please post any further information obtained.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
This A/C issue posted does not sound like the barking dogs noise to me but maybe the original poster can describe it a little more.<br>As for the drivetrain noise, it does seem to be agreed upon that in the Manual trans there is a clunk on certain shifts...my service manager agrees as well.<p>Can't speak for the auto on this car though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: wheezy AC, clunking drive train (jizerky)

I hear lots of clicking and clacking from my front axle, not really clunking. It happens when I'm slowing down to stop using the manual control and shift down to first, when I engage reverse, and when I give throttle when in reverse. It gets kind of annoying...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Big Will)

Thank you for all the posts so far. I will try to get to the bottom of these two problems but it's good to know that they really might simply be noises characteristic if a Volvo.<p>The best I can describe the AC noise is that it's an intermittent hiss or "ppppfffffffffffffff" noise which tapers off into silence and happens about once every 30 seconds or so (I didn't time it). Think of opening a new bottle of soda water very slowly - it sounds a lot like that. Not very loud, mind you, in fact I can't really hear it unless conditions in and around the car are pretty quiet. When I turn the motor off there is one last, long wheeze (just like the dying hero in movies) which lasts about 3-4 seconds... that's about it. The mechanic told me it was the AC "releasing pressure", though like I said before - many previous cars had AC and all were quiet. The only time I had an AC unit make a similar noise was when something was clogged on my 1990 Honda CRX. It eventually began hissing loudly, gurgling and spewing water into the passenger foot well - that's when I had it cleaned and after that all was good again.<p>But you know, all in all I love my Volvo. It's beautiful inside and out, super comfortable, very quick and get this: my record so far for highway consumption is 6.39 L/100km (36.8 MPG US, 44.31 Imperial)!!! In case anyone wants to know, that's with the cruise set at a sedate 100 kph (62 mph) traveling alone but with two cases of Mobil1 oil in the trunk. Also mild hills, dry pavement and moderate traffic where I needed to slow down and/or pass once in a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I completely forgot to mention that the AC sound I describe occurs ONLY when I actually have the air conditioning on, whether in manual or automatic mode. If I click the AC off the sound goes away.<p>Also, I read through the forums a bit to familiarize myself with "barking dogs". I too have some howling hounds but my noise is completely unrelated to them.<p>...I guess my car has barking dogs and dying actors built right in.<p>Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts