SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know there a posts about this but i could not find them so i need to know if anyone has problems with aftermarket wheels wobbling ? <p>Mine seem to wobble and are really loud ? <p>Are they on correctly do i need hubcentric rings ?<br>"

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: wheels causing wobble!? (jdsr917)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jdsr917</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are they on correctly do i need hubcentric rings ?<br>"</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Is the hub size on the wheel the same as your S40 hub?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: wheels causing wobble!? (Mach_T5)

<B>most </B> after market wheels aren't hubcentric to any particular application and NEED hubcentric rings. My Evolve wheels required them. I accidently put one on without rings and it made noise , best bet get those rings!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Check to ensure that you have no mud in your wheels. This is always the first thing to look at. It can get in there and cake on and dry and cause a wobble.<p>Next check each wheel individually to make sure the wheel weights are still on there. If they aren't, one probably fell off and put your wheel out of balance. Go to a tire shop and have them fix it.<p>Now break your lugs and put the car in the air. Give the front wheels a shake. Any excessive movement means you probably have a ball joint or tie rod that needs replacing, or some other issue. A<p>Take each wheel off and check the tire tread and the wheel.... look for anything out of the ordinary such as bad tread wear, bent wheel, etc.<p>Put the wheel back on and make sure that it's on there properly. Torque it evenly with the car in the air, to spec (62 ft lbs).<p>If none of those helps you to find anything obvious, go to your favorite tire shop and have them look it over for something you might have missed.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (mofolicious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mofolicious</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check to ensure that you have no mud in your wheels. This is always the first thing to look at. It can get in there and cake on and dry and cause a wobble.<p>Next check each wheel individually to make sure the wheel weights are still on there. If they aren't, one probably fell off and put your wheel out of balance. Go to a tire shop and have them fix it.<p>Now break your lugs and put the car in the air. Give the front wheels a shake. Any excessive movement means you probably have a ball joint or tie rod that needs replacing, or some other issue. A<p>Take each wheel off and check the tire tread and the wheel.... look for anything out of the ordinary such as bad tread wear, bent wheel, etc.<p>Put the wheel back on and make sure that it's on there properly. Torque it evenly with the car in the air, to spec (62 ft lbs).<p>If none of those helps you to find anything obvious, go to your favorite tire shop and have them look it over for something you might have missed.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Did all this before,after,during install and everything is great But im still confused ... I know when i hit the brakes they also wobble as well when i start going ..<br>I do know that these are 1mm off but they are tight enough that it should not matter .... I do need an alignment because i have spings installed(myself) and carmber arms that need to go on so havent had the alignment yet, could that help !?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: (jdsr917)

Are you using after market wheel nuts. The Volvo nuts have the wrong size diameter and taper for normal rims.<p>This fixed my wobble instantly.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (VictorVDC)

Im just using the nuts that came with car, now if you say aftermarket is what i need what brand do you use i am willing to try it !

·
Registered
953 Posts
eep.<p>Get the alignment done as soon as possible. You could be running down your tires. Putting it off will only cost you money, and doing it might fix your problem!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: (jdsr917)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jdsr917</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do need an alignment because i have spings installed(myself) and carmber arms that need to go on so havent had the alignment yet, could that help !?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You answered your own question... you dropped the car and didn't get things aligned yet. That will cause all sorts of driving imperfections, especially if you don't have the rear camber arms on.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Re: (40 Rouge)

Alignment should have been done after being lowered for certain... I torque my aftermarket wheels in the air thus technically centering the wheel and still have a shimmy. Ive yet to install hub rings but still feel that they probably wont fix my issue.<p>Verifying that the wheels have been properly balanced is also important. Cheap tires can also effect how your vehicle reacts to the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts