Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might rub with that size tire. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gah! That is what I dreaded. I guess, I’ll have to go lower. But the question which parameter do I reduce the width or the aspect ratio?

Volvo for Life

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gah! That is what I dreaded. I guess, I’ll have to go lower. But the question which parameter do I reduce the width or the aspect ratio?

Volvo for Life
Aspect ratio and width with 22" wheels. The 21" wheels are 275/40R21, which has a diameter of 29.7" and width of 10.8". Try to come close to this, you can use: https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and punch in one of the OEM sizes, and then look at the alternative sizes in the diameter wheel you want on the right. I honestly would not go with 22" wheels, you're going to have so little sidewall it's not going to ride as well and potholes will be a very real concern. Tire selection also becomes very limited. I'm thinking of downsizing to 20" wheels so I can use better tires than the Pirellis, and gain a little more sidewall.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aspect ratio and width with 22" wheels. The 21" wheels are 275/40R21, which has a diameter of 29.7" and width of 10.8". Try to come close to this, you can use: https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and punch in one of the OEM sizes, and then look at the alternative sizes in the diameter wheel you want on the right. I honestly would not go with 22" wheels, you're going to have so little sidewall it's not going to ride as well and potholes will be a very real concern. Tire selection also becomes very limited. I'm thinking of downsizing to 20" wheels so I can use better tires than the Pirellis, and gain a little more sidewall.
Hmm, good advice. Mind to point out the “...use better tires than the Pirellis...” please?

Volvo for Life

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm, good advice. Mind to point out the “...use better tires than the Pirellis...” please?

Volvo for Life
It depends on your climate. Michelin just came out with Pilot Sport 4 SUV tires which are probably amazing (I had the Pilot Sport 4S on a high power AWD sports car, and they were as good as you could get before going to slicks) - but they are summer tires, you can't use them if it drops below freezing or they will be destroyed. Seeing you're in NY, you deal with harsher winters than we do in TX, so you should consider true all-season tires if you want just one set. The Michelin Premier LTX are considered good all-season tires - just know most people get about 30k miles out of them and then they are done.

Ideally, you'll get two sets of wheels, and put winter/snow tires on one, and summer tires on the other. All-season tires are definitely a compromise, and are good at everything, but not great at anything. On to brands, Michelin isn't the only good option - but it's almost never a bad choice. Pirelli, on the other hand, I've never had a tire from I've liked. Nor have I ever heard anyone else singing their praises at the track or at car meets. There's plenty of other great brands out there, just surf Discount Tire and Tire Rack to see what's out there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts