SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an issue with upgrading the stock 15" wheels on a Cross Country to 17"? I'm concerned that there may be an impact on the AWD drivetrain.
Thanks,

·
Registered
126 Posts
in theory as long as you dont change the stock Dia of the wheel and tire you could put any wheel on you want. however im pretty sure if you put on a set of 16" or 17" wheels with 55 and 45 series side walls respectivly, you should be all set the only thing i would even worry about is tripping up the odomator to make it thing its going faster or slower than stock..

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Make sure that the circumfrence of your wheels/tires is the same and you should be fine. Verify that with your owner's handbook, as I haven't read one for the Viscous Coupling system that you have, but that should be what you're looking for. Just make sure you buy the tires all new (not used with different tread wear) and follow the rotation instructions as you would with your current setup.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by rskeefer:
Is there an issue with upgrading the stock 15" wheels on a Cross Country to 17"? I'm concerned that there may be an impact on the AWD drivetrain.
Thanks,
>>>check the IPD website, they did this to a '98 Cross Country, along with some other mods, then sold the car (but why??? did they have to get rid of it because the tire/suspension/nivomat thing drove them insane??).

Yes there are some issues. Let's not talk about how the Volvo engineers carefully tuned the suspension components to match the "stock" tire size...everybody knows that you can't just change one thing--but you already know that.

And let's skip over the bit where almost every tire built leaves the factory in almost any shape *but* round; that the unlikelyhood of having even two tires of the same size and shape, let alone a matched set of four, almost guarentees that your transmission is working overtime trying to match wheelspeed from the moment it left the factory in Belgium (or is it Mexico, now that Ford owns them??)...that is to say...don't worry about your tranny...just be happy the car isn't crabbing sidways down the interstate...something you can only see from behind...and try not to think too much about the pull to the right, no matter how may times you check the tire pressures and alignment...every V70 AWD for the American market does that...they are built for conservatives...the lefties don't own cars.

Let's talk about my issue:

Let's talk about tire load ratings. If you ask Volvo or check a site like Tire Rack they will tell you to go 215/45/17 for a 17" wheel "upgrade". But before you press play, click the "specs" button for your tire and look at the data. Check out the diameter and circumference and "load rating" of your stock tire and see if your 215/45/17 tire choice is the same. No? Well then if it's just a little bit different then your speedo/odo will be just a little bit wronger than it was. No worries. Who really cares to know exactly how fast they are going, or how far, or for how long? The only thing that really matters is, does that woman talking on the cell phone while she does her maskcarra in the cocked rearview of that SUV bearing down on you...does she see that the light is red?

... i digress...

But what about the load rating? For my situation, the load rating for the 215/45/17s was SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS LESS !!! than the stock tires. And it was less for every brand of tire made in the 215 size! I bought a wagon because I occasionally load it to capacity, with family, and drive several hundreds of miles in dense traffic at idiotic speeds. Some call this "vacation", but if you have children, you call this "a trip". You can't have a vacation when you have children...but you already know this.

But that's ok, because what I wanted to do was go 225/45/17, which matched the stock tire diameter/circumference almost exactly, *AND* had the same load rating: BUT WOULD IT RUB???? because it was getting pretty wide...(and why doesn't Volvo recommend this size??!!).

you see that's what IPD put on their '98 Cross Country (see: "http://www.ipdusa.com/project_cars_xcr.aspx"), so I emailed them twice asking if the tires fit ok, and they wouldn't say. they just refused to answer...which makes me very suspicious. they aren't talking...must be a lawyer involved somehow...very suspicious indeed.

so I asked around all the Volvo websites I could find, and mostly was ignored, or received a description of a completely different car--you know how sick people who hang around these places can be...most aren't taking their meds, and the rest don't yet know they need them.
some people say "no way--they will rub, fool", and even "the 215/45/17s rub on my 850 wagon" (same car as the V70, but costs less), while others say, "what the hell--who cares if the tires rub a little?" (the horror!)

so...I'm waiting for you to try it. let me know will ya? I have a nice set of 17x7.5" Comet rims sitting new-in-box. I'm just waiting for someone somewhere to tell me it's ok to mount the 225/45/17 tires. My Volvo dealer ain't talkin', and God forbid Volvo America ever did anything to help it's customers...just try asking them a technical question--"....(run away! run away!)...they ain't talkin', and IPD ain't talkin'.

Somebody's gotta come clean on this...

some brave soul, with money to burn (rubber that is) is going to try it.

i think it should be you!

be my hero! and if you live to tell the tale, would you please post it here, for the rest of us?

ps. what ever happened to the guy who bought IPD's XC with the wrong sized tires???

very suspicious...

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Hey Pete,

An enjoyable read.... Some suggestions though....

On IPD - Try calling them. *If* they were ignoring you, it'd be tough to do so on the phone.

On tire size, if you have a good relationship with your dealer or a friend with an R or a C70, you could always ask them if they'd let you swap the 17s on the car so that you can take it for a test drive.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Hey Pete,

An enjoyable read.... Some suggestions though....

On IPD - Try calling them. *If* they were ignoring you, it'd be tough to do so on the phone.

On tire size, if you have a good relationship with your dealer or a friend with an R or a C70, you could always ask them if they'd let you swap the 17s on the car so that you can take it for a test drive.

thanks George. I've called them (IPD) a few times but always seem to get the person who takes the orders (can't help with my questions)...had a few good email exchanges with Cameron and Paul, but forgot to ask how they managed to fit the 225's on their project car. But you're right, I should call them again...I'm going to wait 'till the TME dual exhaust system arrives and see if I have any questions.

The folk at IPD have always been nice to me (I'm the customer from hell); have tolerated all my rants and raves and reversals with smiles and politeness. As a result, I've sent them lots of money. Their parts fit right, and do what claim. I'm very happy with the tailgate clip repair kit! What a fantastic deal that is. Did the motor mount bushing yesterday--looks very suspicious--that bright baby blue in my filthy engine compartment. Went back and forth on the exhaust, ordering then canceling after reading posts about how loud it is...then I ordered it again. We'll see.

I'm flattered that you enjoy my posts. Ranting is a way for me to vent, and I hope everone recognizes that I'm having fun--that my seriousness is entirely artificial. I think we are just a bit silly with this hobby, and I hope my posts keep reminding us (myself mostly) that cars aren't all that important, and we shouldn't be hanging around here when there's people who would like to talk to us in person--like our families. I have to watch out for foam around my mouth when I talk about cars--things get all out of perspective....did you see that very long string on the Mercedes site about big (AMG) brakes vs stock brakes? sheesh! I bet that was fun though. Wish I had been there...I bet I could have foamed those guys up some with my silly-ass comments.

As for swapping wheels, I think everyone has completely missed my point on this tire thing. I don't know how to make it much more clear, so I'll have to give up.

Gotta go. Just installed a set of cross-drilled rotors. for the next 1000 miles I'm supposed to drive at 50 mph for 45 secs. and then brake to 30mph. Yes, I'll be doing this for the next few months. If you see me up ahead, don't follow--I'm insane.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Yeah Pete, I just enjoyed reading it. Nice mix of humor thrown in...

Sorry if I missed the point.

I took your advice and called IPD about the 225's. phone connection wasn't great (not going to admit my hearing loss in that ear) so I didn't get the guy's name, but what he said makes sense: the 225's will rub when you have the wheel turned to full lock--like when you're doing a three-point-turn or parking lot maneuvers. Not an issue during normal operations. I suppose if you're crusing down the interstate and suddenly turn the wheel hard as far as it will go you may have a tire rubbing issue (not to mention rolling and tumbling end over end).

He agrees with me that the 215s can't carry the same load as the stock 205s, but most people don't load up their cars to capacity. So I'm not most people--I carry my house on my back. I'm going to get the 225s so I can keep filling my car with sh*t...literally. It's not uncommon for me to pull into the driveway with 400 pounds of composted cow maneure on board. My car is not always pretty, nor does it smell like those christmas tree air fresheners dangling from the rearviews of morons everywhere, but I can live with ugly, stinky, and wickedly fast.

Then he goes on to give his opinion on 17" wheels...they are too fragile for typical everyday road use. Well, then why are they seen more and more often as standard equiptment on the new cars? Are the new wheels stronger, the new tire sidewalls tougher? Or is it just a way to sell more wheels and tires--curb bashing hasn't suddenly become unpopular, has it? I see the '03 R's are offering the option of 18" wheels...the horror! Are we moving towards the solid rubber tires of yesteryear? Was Mr. Dunlop out of his mind when he gave us the pneumatic tire--setting automobile suspension technology back almost a century?
Forward men! Into the past!

Took my new rotors out for a spin this morning, driving a few hundred miles out into the PA countryside on empty, pastoral roads. It's so beautiful here--a variety of hills and straights, hairpins and one lane bridges criss-crossing the farms and woods and creeks. Every few minutes I'd brake moderately and listen to the soft hissing of the rotors. They kind of sound like rattlesnakes, only softly. They are wonderfully smooth and firm--the mechanic finally figgured out what was making the car pull to the right and fixed that... been doing that for 60,000 miles--since new in spite of several alignments and sets of tires. I'm obsessive about tire pressures.

Anyway it's time I jacked the car up and checked the torque on the wheel bolts--have to do this after every service. Those air wrenches are totally useless for accurate and even torquing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by petew:
>>>check the IPD website, they did this to a '98 Cross Country, along with some other mods, then sold the car (but why??? did they have to get rid of it because the tire/suspension/nivomat thing drove them insane??).

Yes there are some issues. Let's not talk about how the Volvo engineers carefully tuned the suspension components to match the "stock" tire size...everybody knows that you can't just change one thing--but you already know that.

And let's skip over the bit where almost every tire built leaves the factory in almost any shape *but* round; that the unlikelyhood of having even two tires of the same size and shape, let alone a matched set of four, almost guarentees that your transmission is working overtime trying to match wheelspeed from the moment it left the factory in Belgium (or is it Mexico, now that Ford owns them??)...that is to say...don't worry about your tranny...just be happy the car isn't crabbing sidways down the interstate...something you can only see from behind...and try not to think too much about the pull to the right, no matter how may times you check the tire pressures and alignment...every V70 AWD for the American market does that...they are built for conservatives...the lefties don't own cars.

Let's talk about my issue:

Let's talk about tire load ratings. If you ask Volvo or check a site like Tire Rack they will tell you to go 215/45/17 for a 17" wheel "upgrade". But before you press play, click the "specs" button for your tire and look at the data. Check out the diameter and circumference and "load rating" of your stock tire and see if your 215/45/17 tire choice is the same. No? Well then if it's just a little bit different then your speedo/odo will be just a little bit wronger than it was. No worries. Who really cares to know exactly how fast they are going, or how far, or for how long? The only thing that really matters is, does that woman talking on the cell phone while she does her maskcarra in the cocked rearview of that SUV bearing down on you...does she see that the light is red?

... i digress...

But what about the load rating? For my situation, the load rating for the 215/45/17s was SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS LESS !!! than the stock tires. And it was less for every brand of tire made in the 215 size! I bought a wagon because I occasionally load it to capacity, with family, and drive several hundreds of miles in dense traffic at idiotic speeds. Some call this "vacation", but if you have children, you call this "a trip". You can't have a vacation when you have children...but you already know this.

But that's ok, because what I wanted to do was go 225/45/17, which matched the stock tire diameter/circumference almost exactly, *AND* had the same load rating: BUT WOULD IT RUB???? because it was getting pretty wide...(and why doesn't Volvo recommend this size??!!).

you see that's what IPD put on their '98 Cross Country (see: "http://www.ipdusa.com/project_cars_xcr.aspx"), so I emailed them twice asking if the tires fit ok, and they wouldn't say. they just refused to answer...which makes me very suspicious. they aren't talking...must be a lawyer involved somehow...very suspicious indeed.

so I asked around all the Volvo websites I could find, and mostly was ignored, or received a description of a completely different car--you know how sick people who hang around these places can be...most aren't taking their meds, and the rest don't yet know they need them.
some people say "no way--they will rub, fool", and even "the 215/45/17s rub on my 850 wagon" (same car as the V70, but costs less), while others say, "what the hell--who cares if the tires rub a little?" (the horror!)

so...I'm waiting for you to try it. let me know will ya? I have a nice set of 17x7.5" Comet rims sitting new-in-box. I'm just waiting for someone somewhere to tell me it's ok to mount the 225/45/17 tires. My Volvo dealer ain't talkin', and God forbid Volvo America ever did anything to help it's customers...just try asking them a technical question--"....(run away! run away!)...they ain't talkin', and IPD ain't talkin'.

Somebody's gotta come clean on this...

some brave soul, with money to burn (rubber that is) is going to try it.

i think it should be you!

be my hero! and if you live to tell the tale, would you please post it here, for the rest of us?

ps. what ever happened to the guy who bought IPD's XC with the wrong sized tires???

very suspicious...

Hey Pete,

I have purchase a set of 225/45/17ZR Dunlaps, and my 98 S-70 T5R is lowered with Eibach sport springs. I have about .25 inch play from edge of wheel base. Perfect look and handles extremly well here on the German Autbahn.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by TooFast:
Hey Pete,

I have purchase a set of 225/45/17ZR Dunlaps, and my 98 S-70 T5R is lowered with Eibach sport springs. I have about .25 inch play from edge of wheel base. Perfect look and handles extremly well here on the German Autbahn.

Thanks TooFast,

I will probably order the 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport (91Y load/speed rating) to fit the new set of Comet rims that have been sitting in the garage for weeks. There may be some differences in the clearance between the 1998 S-70 and my '98 V70R AWD, but I will not know that until I try it.

I have just installed a set of cross-drilled rotors. The 16-inch Meteor wheels do not show them off well. I was going to wait until it was time to replace the current set of Michelin Pilots on the car, but now I think life is too short for us to be practical.

I've decided not to lower the car after reading the experiences of a V70 owner who posted on the Volvospeed website. The stock "sport" suspension on the "R" version of the V70 is good enough for 95% of the driving I do.

I think Volvo has been listening to us...the new "R" cars have driver adjustable suspension--perhaps this is a response to the Audi All-track...active suspension systems will likely be common on cars of the future.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to see a 2003 V70R...I think Volvo has finally built the car I have been waiting for all my life. Then again, it probably will not be long before we will have to "fix" the design "flaws" by making aftermarket modifications...I am an audiophile--a home stereo lunatic, and we like to say, "there is not such thing as too much power" when talking about audiophile quality amplifiers. I think that applies to my family car, don't you?

what fun!

see you in the fast lane

pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts