SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a 2015.5 XC70 T6 (my second Volvo. Had a V70 for many years prior). I need dedicated snow tires. The dealer told me to get a 16" wheel/snow tire package instead of matching the 18" I now have on the car.

Reading up on this online, I found this: "It's not recommended that you go much more than plus or minus one inch, as the car's suspension and springs were designed around the original wheel/tire setup. Too radical a change may lead to handling issues as well as suspension damage. Similarly, many brake calipers and rotors are designed with very little clearance between the components and the wheel. Trying to move from, say, an 18-in wheel to a 16- or 15-in wheel probably won't work, as the wheel won't fit over the brakes."

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I wouldn't get anything smaller than 17" myself. Not only would you get too much sidewall on a 16", which would significantly affect the handling of the car, but it would look ridiculous. 17" rim and tire package from Tire Rack shouldn't set you back too much more than 16", if you can even find a decent 16" rim to fit these cars any more.

I went in a somewhat different direction than you and mounted 18" Blizzaks to my stock wheels and put a new rim/tire set for summer use. But the summer set up cost more than a 17" winter package would.

And congrats on the new Volvo!!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Get 17x7 wheels, and no wider than a 215 tread pattern, even 205 on snows would be good, it'll cut through the snow better.

Here's a link to a similar discussion from 6 years ago: 2010-XC70-T6-and-16-rims-Not-Recommended

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
A narrower tire does work better in the snow, but you should select tire size based on "plus/minus" sizing to make sure the speedo doesn't get thrown off, and dealers can't give you any grief if something should need to be repaired under warranty that they can relate to the tire size. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
16" does look like crap on an XC70 and I'm unsure if they'll fit on the brakes. Unless the XC70 T6 also has smaller brakes compared to the europe spec ones. Either way, I'm running 17x8" on my S80 with 225/50 tires. I think most standard XC70 wheels are 7.5" wide which Volvo recommends 235 mm wide tires for. If I can run 225s on 8" wide ones, with lower profile ones I should add, without it looking stretched or silly I think 7.5" should take 205-245 mm wide tires. I'd opt for 215-225 though. Narrow is good but you're not going to spend your entire winter going through deep snow or snow slush and in those situations wider is as usual better. Comfort, ride and sound is very good with the stock 235/xx-17 tires on the XC70 so I think you'll be happy with 17" rims. Though depending on how much snow you get, I've heard more sidewall is better because it'll flex more than a lower profile tire which helps with grip on snow... apparently. So I'd rule out 18" for that reason.

(When it comes to the XC70 the quote in the thread start is sort of right. A car magazine in Sweden (teknikens värld, ni som känner till den) did an elk avoidance test with an XC70 running 19" wheels and I don't remember the specifics but the performance was very appalling.)

·
Registered
189 Posts
What ever wheel and tires you settle on - Don't forget to be mindful of the load rating the OEM tyres. XC70s are heavy and the load rating is often overlooked when selecting types. For my 2013 XC70 with 16"wheels there are only two types sold in North America that are 'Proper' fitment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts