SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to any fellow members that have added spacers to their wheels - what are the steps involved in replacing the existing studs with the longer ones that come with the spacers?

I tried a search but couldn't come up with anything so i apologize if this has been addressed in previous threads...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I thought the S40 uses bolts and not studs??? It's been a very long time since I changed an S40 wheel.

If it uses bolts, then when you remove the bolts to take the wheel off the car to add the spacers, you simply use the longer bolts that were provided when you put the wheel back on...

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I thought the S40 uses bolts and not studs??? It's been a very long time since I changed an S40 wheel.

If it uses bolts, then when you remove the bolts to take the wheel off the car to add the spacers, you simply use the longer bolts that were provided when you put the wheel back on...
The hub has integrated studs which need to be removed to put the spacer in. Because the spacer add thickness, new, longer studs are included to allow the same amount of thread for the lug nut, but somehow need to be put into the hub. Maybe they're press in style?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bolts cannot be pressed out of the HUB

Interesting. It's amazing how similar, and different the P1 and P2 cars really are.
http://www.vivaperformance.com/wheel-spacer-kit-10mm-m12x1-5

The bolts in the HUB are not removable. They need to be cut in length after you bolt these spacers on your HUB.
There are numerous videos in YOUTUBE on how to do this.

Why do you need spacers. If you adjust camber and get an off-set wheel you'll likely be flushed in the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
709 Posts
FYI this is how my car is set at the moment:

--> You can see they are longer wheel studs

Original wheel studs where removed and new studs pressed in. Depending on the wheel/spacer combo I either use the OEM lugs or open ended ones when it's too long.
It's a setup that works great. Couple of trips to the Nurburgring and no problems so far

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
On the Rears , the Hubs come off so easy on Our Cars and it's a Press Carefully out and Press New one's In which should be a Hair larger - Dia.

The Fronts I don't think that's Happening so easy .

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI this is how my car is set at the moment:

--> You can see they are longer wheel studs

Original wheel studs where removed and new studs pressed in. Depending on the wheel/spacer combo I either use the OEM lugs or open ended ones when it's too long.
It's a setup that works great. Couple of trips to the Nurburgring and no problems so far
Hey Mjro. this is exactly what i am looking to do. any advice on the removal of the original studs and how to press in the new longer ones?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Since the rear hubs bolt in they can be easily removed and then pound out the old, slip in the new, and just use an oversized nut/washers and a correctly sized nut to squeeze them tight into the hub.

The fronts I don't know how you would slip them out of the hub without pressing it out, installing the studs, and then pressing it back in. I don't think there is enough space to do the swap while the bearings are still in place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i stand corrected

I had no idea these studs were pressable...I guess if you had access to a press you can do that. The other solution I mentioned only requires a steel hack saw and a sharpee pen.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since the rear hubs bolt in they can be easily removed and then pound out the old, slip in the new, and just use an oversized nut/washers and a correctly sized nut to squeeze them tight into the hub.

The fronts I don't know how you would slip them out of the hub without pressing it out, installing the studs, and then pressing it back in. I don't think there is enough space to do the swap while the bearings are still in place.
Thanks FF.
the rears are my concern as i am doing 15mm so will need extended bolts. the fronts i am only using 5mm so i think i will be fine with the existing length studs.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Oh ok, that should be easy enough then. I ran 20mm spacers just so I didn't have to mess with stud replacement, most Volvo wheels have enough spacing on the mounting pad to clear the small amount of stock stud that extends passed the spacer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi would you be able to tell me where did you get those extended wheel studs for S40 ? Thank you
They come with the spacers when you buy them (10mm+)
You can try emailing H&R to see if they'd sell you just the studs but thats about it lol

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
we can special order just the extended wheel studs if you'd like! Just send us an email: [email protected]
I'll be selling my car soon and getting a 2012 S60 T5, I will have 10mm and 15mm spacers from my S40, so I'm wondering if I could get the extended studs (or whatever the new S60 has) through you guys?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I think I have a set of those occupying a tote in my shop somewhere. Will have to rummage through my old stuff.

George you offer BMW stuff now? I'm transitioning into an E92M hopefully soon. Some Stoptechs may be required. Why does every other flagship model get stock Brembos, M gets big ugly brakes :(

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I'll be selling my car soon and getting a 2012 S60 T5, I will have 10mm and 15mm spacers from my S40, so I'm wondering if I could get the extended studs (or whatever the new S60 has) through you guys?
Yes, that's not a problem! Just send us an email when you're ready to place an order for the extended wheel bolts!

I think I have a set of those occupying a tote in my shop somewhere. Will have to rummage through my old stuff.

George you offer BMW stuff now? I'm transitioning into an E92M hopefully soon. Some Stoptechs may be required. Why does every other flagship model get stock Brembos, M gets big ugly brakes :(
Yes sir! I just installed some StopTechs on my E92 335is. Take a look below:

Happy to help you upgrade when you're ready!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Nice glad to see you still have it, I shopped a 135is the other week but then started peeping more towards a 1M since they are nearing the 50k mark. I get the insider discount right haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts