SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home tonight, it had been raining so the roads were wet and it was still coming down but not that bad. Anywho, after leaving a red light I wanted to accelerate away from the car behind me pretty fast and in 2nd gear I hit the gas only to experienced major wheel spin and the car swirved a little as I managed to quite easily regain traction and control.

I was quite surprised as I would have thought that TRACS would have kicked in and not even allowed this to happen, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of having TRACS?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Re: Wheel Spin?! (Barry)

Happens to me all the time when it's that wet. TRACS is crappy and almost non existant on this car. Unlike the traction control on our 328i which kicks in at the slightest bit of wheel spin, and the little indicator light turns on everytime the wheels loose grip, and off again when grip returns.

In all honesty, I don't feel any difference launching or driving with the traction control on or off.

What is the point of it?

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
did the triangle in the dash light up as you were spinning..signifying that the computer understands that there is wheelspin? if it didn't come on, you should have it checked, because you shouldn't experience wheelspin to that degree.

·
Registered
480 Posts

If you have a 98, you have TRACS. Later cars have STC. Both TRACS and STC use the ABS system to apply braking to the spinning wheel below 25 mph. The STC cars have electronic throttle, which the system uses to throttle back if wheel spin (difference in speed between the front and back wheels) occurs over 25 mph.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Wow, I had the same problem with wheelspin a couple of days ago. I tried to accelerate in 1st and 2nd gears reasonably hard in wet weather and the wheels spun. The STC icon came on in the instrument cluster but I'm not sure what STC actually did. As soon as I saw the icon I slowed down anyway. I guess the S60R doesnt have this problem with the AWD.

As soon as your wheels spin, the slippery road icon will come on. If it hasnt then maybe a sensor has blown.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: (Token)

My STC comes in very hard and take all the power away, I had it last week at 120km/u on very wet road. STC works at all speeds indeed.
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Barry »
I was quite surprised ...

You drive a FWD car with 240hp in the rain and your surprised the wheels spinned when you hit the gas quite hard?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Wheel Spin?! (BenES)

Quote, originally posted by BenES »
You drive a FWD car with 240hp in the rain and your surprised the wheels spinned when you hit the gas quite hard?

Rica chip baby: 310hp (so the website claims) but its nice to brag

I just thought it would be much harder to achieve wheel spin with the traction control on, and it was on at the time (have been having issues with the ABS/TRACS lights coming on). Rear only fishtailed about 10' before I straightened her out again.

Are there any kits out there to convert our cars to RWD?

While on the subject of power, would it be possible to swap the engine with the 4.4 V8 from the XC90? (in terms of size). What about with an LS engine?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

At the most 280hp with the stock exhaust , but even then an even stranger question to ask

RWD won't solve the problem, in heavy rain it will spin too and then you can fishtaling (not with a FWD).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Wheel Spin?! (BenES)

wasn't necessarily trying to fix the FWD wheel spin by converting to RWD

·
Registered
480 Posts

I wonder if any of you have seen the following:

My 01 HT does not have STC. If I get on it in a turn and one front wheel starts to spin, the auto trans sometimes goes into neutral. Nothing like tearing down the road with the engine on the rev limiter and NO power to the wheels. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

I'm thinking that some computer looks at speed difference between the two front wheels and throws the trans into neutral to keep the driver from shredding the spinning tire. Sometimes with the windows up, A/C on, and the mighty SC-901 blasting away, it can be hard to detect wheel spin.

I suppose another possibility is that I am low on trans fluid. Anybody know how to get at the @@@!!! dipstick on the 5 sp auto?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: (flat_six)

This is not something Volvo built in... you have a tranny problem, or maybe it's just the handle that's moving

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: (BenES)

I disagree. My 2001 does the exact same thing in turns depending on how hard the turn is and at certain trottle positions...

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Barry »
I was driving home tonight, it had been raining so the roads were wet and it was still coming down but not that bad. Anywho, after leaving a red light I wanted to accelerate away from the car behind me pretty fast and in 2nd gear I hit the gas only to experienced major wheel spin and the car swirved a little as I managed to quite easily regain traction and control.

I was quite surprised as I would have thought that TRACS would have kicked in and not even allowed this to happen, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of having TRACS?

FWD, RWD, or AWD, you're still only as good as the tires and road surface under you.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: (MiamiC70)

Quote, originally posted by MiamiC70 »
I disagree. My 2001 does the exact same thing in turns depending on how hard the turn is and at certain trottle positions...

Then maybe you have the same problem... My parents C70 doesn't do that and I never heard of that before. THe wheel spins as hard as possible but the trans. will never change to neutral.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Token »
How can a 2001 C70 not have STC? It must at least have TRACS?

Because it was an option... TRACS only exist on '98 models.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: (MiamiC70)

Quote, originally posted by MiamiC70 »

Have you ever had a dealer look into the issue? I had them check the fluid level (since I could not get at the dipstick), and they said it was OK.

Sounds like this is either a design feature or a design flaw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts