SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to remove a front wheel on a 2015 XC70 recently bought -- rusted on pretty good. The trick I used poses no risk of warping rim....

The idea is to take the car for a short drive with the lug nuts loosened 1/4 turn. I applied WD-40 before heading out. Drove about 1 mile.
When I got it jacked up, the wheel slid right off.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I went to remove a front wheel on a 2015 XC70 recently bought -- rusted on pretty good. The trick I used poses no risk of warping rim....

The idea is to take the car for a short drive with the lug nuts loosened 1/4 turn. I applied WD-40 before heading out. Drove about 1 mile.
When I got it jacked up, the wheel slid right off.

That's about the dumbest most dangerous advise I've ever read on here. Wheel Off conditions can and do kill people. Driving around with a loose wheel is NUTS.
Next time don't hit it with your purse and use a mallet to hit the tire. Or loosen the lugs a few turns and let the vehicle down sharply from a jack and they pop right off.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mallet didn't budge it. My technique shows that only loosening the lugs 1/4 turn introduced enough play -- it's not recommended for those who might get distracted and keep driving till the wheel comes off. I'll try your idea of lowering the jack next time, I agree it's safer and more controlled -- thx.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You don't need to go for a drive, just let it off the jack and roll it back and forth a little bit.

I use anti-seize on the hub/rotor where the wheel makes contact to prevent it from happening. And the lugs.

WD-40 sucks at just about everything except water displacement. Kroil is a good penetrating oil.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You don't need to go for a drive, just let it off the jack and roll it back and forth a little bit.

I use anti-seize on the hub/rotor where the wheel makes contact to prevent it from happening. And the lugs.

WD-40 sucks at just about everything except water displacement. Kroil is a good penetrating oil.
Goofy side question, ever had anti seize get on the brakes?

I did this in the spring when I swapped winter to summer tires, and now I have a pretty permanent staining on my discs (don't care) and squeaking brakes (annoying).
I'm going to try to use brake cleaner when I swap back to winters in the near future, but if car washes & a summer of driving haven't cooked it off, I'm not sure what I can do.....

But I agree, I don't advise anyone drive w/ the lug nuts loosened, I've been known to kick the wheel to break it loose and that's usually more than adequate

·
Registered
22 Posts
I kick the tire hard with my foot, and it pops off everytime, i do rotate my tires every oil change, so they dont get the opportunity to get too stuck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts