SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in Louisville and am tired of driving a bouncing car due to bent rims. The 18 inch pegs just won't hold up. I do everything I can to avoid anything but sometimes I'd rather bend a wheel than hit the car beside me. Also my wife drives daily and she does the best she can but we just can't keep them from getting messed up.

I would go as far a 16 inch wheel if I could drive in the dark and relax. I really don't care about the looks. Can someone recommend a sturdy, quality black wheel 16 or 17 inch that will hold up better?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Been on Vivaperformance and tirerack and there aren't a lot of choices. Looks like there are a bunch on ebay overseas. Any other websites I should check out?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think 16" wheels will fit over the brakes

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay...prolly ain't messin with the breaks. 16's are out.

Seems like I might remember the steel wheel you are referencing but I didn't see it on there anymore.

What is the differnce between aluminum and low pressure cast or stamped steel - weight, durability, eye appeal?

Where do you purchase OZs? (Never mind - see two on tirerack) Is there website the only place? They seem really expensive.

Will do on the tire pressure.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Just want to relax while I drive this beautiful car and enjoy a smooth ride.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My suggestion would be to pick up a set of 17" Sparco Assetto Gara wheels (tirerack has them listed for the regular s60, but not the R, because you'll need a 5mm spacer to clear the brake calipers on the R). I would also suggest picking up a set of tires that are slightly wider, but with the same aspect ratio as the stock 17" tires, which means you'll have a slightly taller side wall for added protection. Stock 17" tires is 235/45R17, so I would suggest going with a 245/45R17 tire.

Here is a link to the sparco wheels on tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Here is a link to a thread discussing the wheels and with pictures of them installed: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172567-Can-these-rims-fit-my-R/page6

The multi-spoke design should be stronger than the 5-spoke pegs. In addition, because you can get away with using a 5mm spacer, you don't need extended lugs and you don't need it to be a hubcentric spacer, which means you can pick up a universal 5mm spacer set on ebay.

Cheers,

Jeff

EDIT: I just noticed that the 17" sparcos are 17x7.5. I thought they were 17x8. The 18" sparcos that baxter bought and mounted were 18x8" and based on baxter's measurement they would fit with a 5mm spacer. However, due to the narrower width of the 17" sparcos (7.5 vs. 8) they may require a 10mm spacer to fit. If that's the case, you'll want to go with hubcentric spacers and extended lugs, which increases the cost by $160-250 depending on where you buy the spacers and lugs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Pete - Thanks

I learned something new today!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Pete - Thanks

I learned something new today!
Well I didn't...it looks like his post has been deleted. :facepalm:

Anyone care to share what wisdom was removed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts