SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't crucify me, I searched and found a few threads with similar issues but not quite what I am looking for.

In a few days I will be driving a few hours to look at an 04R. It comes with 17" winter tires and aftermarket rims (as well as 18" pegs with summer tires).
The current owner told me that with the winter tires he has mounted on the car right now the car vibrates around 100kmh.
He said this is normal for a volvo and that it does not do it with the stock rims.

Is this true?
Any input?

I've wanted to get one of these cars for so long and this is a good chance for me.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It is not normal for the car to vibrate at 100kmh... Given that he said that, I wouldn't really trust anything he says.
I agree. Even though the wheels may not have been balanced properly, there may be other problems that aren't worth dealing with. Maybe try to convince him to put the other set of wheels on and see what he says about that.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I can't tell if you are (also) from Canada or from Europe based on km/h quote, but no Volvo (especially an R) should have ANY vibration at 100 km/h, nor 200 km/h (I've checked.) These are the smoothest caRs I've ever driven. The likely culprits range from the winter tires needing proper balancing through one or more out-of-round wheels to various suspension, engine mount, steering, or brake ills. If you like the caR insist that any issues like that are diagnosed by an independent mechanic before you make an offer.

If you are in or near Toronto, VoT has had a customer's '04 VR with 89,000 km on its lot for several weeks while the owner decides what to do about a dead auto transmission. I'm sure it could be had 'as-is' cheaply then put right for as little as $2000 for a used transmission.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Have him put on the pegs before you come to test drive it and let her rip. If they vibe. Walk away. I know its tough. I drove 10hours to get my 04sr. If they are aftermarket perhaps they dont have proper hub rings. If so then the wheel is not centered on the hub. That would not happen with the factory rims. The alignment may be off or the wheels out of balance too. Or the struts may be going. That's a 1000$ ouch but it happens on cars with 100k + miles that havent already had them replaced.
Look up how to see if modules have trouble codes in them. Most of those codes wont throw a CEL. You hold the message button on the turn signal stalk and press one of the foglight buttons and the message center will show you info. Dont try to decipher it. If you see somthing that ends with Set, i.e. Dem set. Tell him you want the car taken to a Volvo dealer and the codes read. Or and independent volvo shop with atleast a launch tool as this should read all those codes.
Sorry to throw so much at you but I speak from experience. Where is the car you are looking at?
Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't tell if you are (also) from Canada or from Europe based on km/h quote, but no Volvo (especially an R) should have ANY vibration at 100 km/h, nor 200 km/h (I've checked.) These are the smoothest caRs I've ever driven. The likely culprits range from the winter tires needing proper balancing through one or more out-of-round wheels to various suspension, engine mount, steering, or brake ills. If you like the caR insist that any issues like that are diagnosed by an independent mechanic before you make an offer.

If you are in or near Toronto, VoT has had a customer's '04 VR with 89,000 km on its lot for several weeks while the owner decides what to do about a dead auto transmission. I'm sure it could be had 'as-is' cheaply then put right for as little as $2000 for a used transmission.
I'm from Windsor. And sadly I don't have time or money to buy a project. Although this car might turn into one. It does come with safety and etest...

Have him put on the pegs before you come to test drive it and let her rip. If they vibe. Walk away. I know its tough. I drove 10hours to get my 04sr. If they are aftermarket perhaps they dont have proper hub rings. If so then the wheel is not centered on the hub. That would not happen with the factory rims. The alignment may be off or the wheels out of balance too. Or the struts may be going. That's a 1000$ ouch but it happens on cars with 100k + miles that havent already had them replaced.
Look up how to see if modules have trouble codes in them. Most of those codes wont throw a CEL. You hold the message button on the turn signal stalk and press one of the foglight buttons and the message center will show you info. Dont try to decipher it. If you see somthing that ends with Set, i.e. Dem set. Tell him you want the car taken to a Volvo dealer and the codes read. Or and independent volvo shop with atleast a launch tool as this should read all those codes.
Sorry to throw so much at you but I speak from experience. Where is the car you are looking at?
Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Good stuff. At one point during our conversation he did mention that he was willing to put the pegs back on if I want for the test drive.
So I will ask him to do that and I'll report back to you guys.

Does a traditional OBD2 code reader work with these cars? I have one on my phone that I can easily hook up to the car.
I'm assuming it does but maybe it doesn't give as much info as a dealer scan would.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have same issue on my xc90 with aftermarket rims. My fix was hub rings.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Few hours for a commute to the seller isn't that bad, think of it as insurance or such; I know Canada don't have S60R/V70R all over the place for sale, so finding one is a 'find'. If its not far, just go there and test drive it for yourself. Shaking 50% means unbalanced wheels, the other 50% is split between mechanical, uneven wear, low air pressure, etc.

GL!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Whiplash, I am a car guy like many on here, but i probably see wheels on cars 1000% more than the average guy on here.

My pegs did not vibrate @100km they were 17"
My new 18" wheels did not vibrate initially, ~1000 miles later they did. Had it rebalanced and it stopped.

Had a 2004 Porsche Cayenne turbo S come in yesterday complaining about vibrations. Culprit: used car, new to him.. had one old repaired bent wheel in the back, and all four tires were out of round from balance being off for so long. New tires and $1400 later he was a happy camper(tires cost $300 each 285/35/22) labor and taxes came out to $200..So it wasnt that bad.

Moral of my story is, sound like there are stories with this car. Vibrations, shakes, clunks are all NOT normal. A experienced ear and driver can hear and feel if the car needs control arms, motor mounts and struts. Mine needed all that stuff plus AC compressor. I also took a 4 hour train ride to meet the seller and took it home that day. for 3/4 of the original asking price once i found out about the problems.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yeah, he said issues with aftermarket rims are the cause.
Aside from unbalanced tires as mentioned earlier, if the wheels require hubcentric rings and are not installed with the wheels, you will also have vibration. Do you have any pictures or the brand/model of the winter wheel? The seller may simply not know about the requirement for hubcentric rings...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I will talk to jim oday and I'm hoping he will but the stock wheels back on for my test drive.
And maybe he doesn't have the hub rings on it. Who knows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah thing is dirty. If I get it I will give it a good cleaning. I'm still waiting for more pictutres from him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Its not a big deal, this will be my winter car /DD when I have to drive my son.

Quote from his email.
I sure can. . . I will do that for you no problem. Does Wed work? Monday is a no go for me my wife is away over the weekend and will be back late Monday night from boarded shopping . Tuesday it's in for service I'll get the tires put on then and will be ready for Wed. I don't want the summers on too long though cuz of weather and others will question how I got a safety with worn tires
I should add that he said hes taking t in for service to replace balljoints...

I think as long as it drives straight with no vibration or clunks of any sort; this car is mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts