SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have 2017 s60 inscription T5 . There is squeal noise coming out from front left side. It started to happen last year most of the time when its raining . Once the winter came the noise stopped dealer couldn't reproduce the issue. This year noise is back . The strange part noise only comes when i drive for about 2-5 min and speed btwn 30MPH-45MPH. The noise will stop after 10 min of driving or if i drive above 50MPH. Dealers are not very close to my home so by time i get there noise goes away only comes back when car seats for like 1 hour. noise very random you never know when it be back. Anyone had this issue? I am confused as hell if its hub bearing i would think it be making that noise all the time if it was Axel same thing or am i missing something.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hello i have 2017 s60 inscription T5 . There is squeal noise coming out from front left side. It started to happen last year most of the time when its raining . Once the winter came the noise stopped dealer couldn't reproduce the issue. This year noise is back . The strange part noise only comes when i drive for about 2-5 min and speed btwn 30MPH-45MPH. The noise will stop after 10 min of driving or if i drive above 50MPH. Dealers are not very close to my home so by time i get there noise goes away only comes back when car seats for like 1 hour. noise very random you never know when it be back. Anyone had this issue? I am confused as hell if its hub bearing i would think it be making that noise all the time if it was Axel same thing or am i missing something.
Do you get salting during the winter in your area?

I had low speed squealing noise coming from the rear passenger side on the first year of owning my car.
It was isolated to the caliper bracket rust pinching the pad slider hardware and causing one ear of the brake pad to have difficulty sliding.

Cleaning the hardware mount with a square file and leaving anti seize between the bracket and hardware solved the issue for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another possibility is a small stone caught between the brake rotor, the heatshield behind it, and/or the caliper bracket. I've had it happen twice, but only on the front end; it made a horrendous grinding noise until a combination of bumpy roads & highway driving either wore it away enough or kicked it loose.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Another possibility is a small stone caught between the brake rotor, the heatshield behind it, and/or the caliper bracket. I've had it happen twice, but only on the front end; it made a horrendous grinding noise until a combination of bumpy roads & highway driving either wore it away enough or kicked it loose.
Happened to me like that too. Tiny pebbles get wedged in there and make that horrible noise until the pebbles dislodge and get free from caliper and disc. Our local roads have seen a lot of digging up and sloppy construction resurfacing with loose tiny gravel always get caught up in there. The town is redoing the gas lines which have aged but it is causing these tiny pebbles to wedge in there.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for that fast answers. Will check tonight and will let you know if that helped .:) I hope it will help cuz it drives me nuts grrr lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
AWD? I had a mild grinding squeak that would come and go. Appeared in September and disappeared in December. Came back in April and the dealer couldn’t replicate at my 10k service in May. I drove off the lot and the noise came back. I went back to take a drive with the shop foreman and he heard it on the test drive. He put it in drive on the lift and it was diagnosed as a bad prop shaft. Replaced under warranty a week later. The strange part about it was the way the sound would bounce. You couldn’t really tell where it was coming from. Sounded like a front wheel issue, but it was basically the middle of the undercarriage. No issues a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i checked both front wheels brake shields and i dont see anything stuck there :(... Noise still there.. william9: This is FWD T5 car . But good thing its always there in morning when car is cold so i will drop car off tom night at the dealer for friday morning .Will take loaner. If dealer will say they don't hear it . I will tell them keep the car for month if you have to and i will keep using loaner till you fix it :) Most of the time loaners are xc60 2019:)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i got the car to the dealer and dealer is not helping. They herd the noise but when they put the car on a lift noise is gone but its deff Axel or hub bearing but they refusing to change ether one and being difficult. I even showed them 3 videos 1 from xc70 and 2 for BMW when they all had that noise and on all of them it was a HUB.BMW even showed example why noise comes and goes. I dono if am missing something but I even asked them to swap hub assembly put left one to the right side and right to left. so if noise goes on other side means deff a hub. As cars i owned i know hub assembly was not set for left or right it was just a part is volvo different you need to buy left side hub assembly and right side or they the same as well?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Can you find a different dealer? Sounds like you're wasting your time with them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ye will call volvo as well.. But My Q is Hub assembly is same for right and left side of the car or they side specific?

·
Registered
696 Posts
So i got the car to the dealer and dealer is not helping. They herd the noise but when they put the car on a lift noise is gone but its deff Axel or hub bearing but they refusing to change ether one and being difficult. I even showed them 3 videos 1 from xc70 and 2 for BMW when they all had that noise and on all of them it was a HUB.BMW even showed example why noise comes and goes. I dono if am missing something but I even asked them to swap hub assembly put left one to the right side and right to left. so if noise goes on other side means deff a hub. As cars i owned i know hub assembly was not set for left or right it was just a part is volvo different you need to buy left side hub assembly and right side or they the same as well?
Placing the car on a lift and running the drivetrain with the suspension at full droop changes the drivetrain geometry...not helpful for diagnosis. Instead, try supporting the wheels off the ground on stands placed as close to the front wheels as possible. Then run the drivetrain in the appropriate speed range. Even then conditions aren't the same since there's no drivetrain load. To accurately duplicate the driving condition, one would need to run the wheels on rollers.

The main suspect in the hub is the wheel bearing. I've never heard a CV joint squeal. With the suspension supported as described, a stethoscope probe or a long screwdriver held to the ear and touched to various surfaces will help identify the noise source.

william9 is correct...noises will travel. Recently our daughter's Honda had a phantom whining noise underhood which we were able to trace to the alternator using the method described above.

Another thought: you may have a harmonic vibration from a brake or exhaust heat shield.

Good luck sorting this...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Placing the car on a lift and running the drivetrain with the suspension at full droop changes the drivetrain geometry...not helpful for diagnosis. Instead, try supporting the wheels off the ground on stands placed as close to the front wheels as possible. Then run the drivetrain in the appropriate speed range. Even then conditions aren't the same since there's no drivetrain load. To accurately duplicate the driving condition, one would need to run the wheels on rollers.

The main suspect in the hub is the wheel bearing. I've never heard a CV joint squeal. With the suspension supported as described, a stethoscope probe or a long screwdriver held to the ear and touched to various surfaces will help identify the noise source.

william9 is correct...noises will travel. Recently our daughter's Honda had a phantom whining noise underhood which we were able to trace to the alternator using the method described above.

Another thought: you may have a harmonic vibration from a brake or exhaust heat shield.

Good luck sorting this...
I agree with you 100% but they not even trying to find the noise. they like we not just going to put parts in to it. They already wasted more $ on labor checking the issue when i pay 0 and i am sure volvo wont cover something they cant locate for days. they could of by now put new hub and 98% done with it. Yes its possible that it might be right side not left at all cuz noise will travel. .. The Exhaust heat shield is on right or left side or middle ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
my experience

I agree with you 100% but they not even trying to find the noise. they like we not just going to put parts in to it. They already wasted more $ on labor checking the issue when i pay 0 and i am sure volvo wont cover something they cant locate for days. they could of by now put new hub and 98% done with it. Yes its possible that it might be right side not left at all cuz noise will travel. .. The Exhaust heat shield is on right or left side or middle ?
I have the 2017 T6 awd and I had noticed - in the am only when I was pulling away from the curb a slight squealing sound (like a ringing). I didn't take it right in - but it kept repeating, would disappear when going above 25 mph - shows up the next am.

The car had been a leftover 2017 - sitting on the lot for a year - close to the ocean. Turns out the squealing was caused by a slight rust build up between the rotors and the brake pads & calipers. They changed the rotors (fronts only) and brushed the calipers and replaced the pads - problem goes away.

Do you live near the ocean? Did you buy a leftover new car? Find another dealer - if it is the same as my problem, it was easy to diagnose - just look at the rotors and see if they have some rust.

·
Registered
13,496 Posts
As cars i owned i know hub assembly was not set for left or right it was just a part is volvo different you need to buy left side hub assembly and right side or they the same as well?
You may want to look up the part number on a website like Tasca parts to see if they are different.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have the 2017 T6 awd and I had noticed - in the am only when I was pulling away from the curb a slight squealing sound (like a ringing). I didn't take it right in - but it kept repeating, would disappear when going above 25 mph - shows up the next am.

The car had been a leftover 2017 - sitting on the lot for a year - close to the ocean. Turns out the squealing was caused by a slight rust build up between the rotors and the brake pads & calipers. They changed the rotors (fronts only) and brushed the calipers and replaced the pads - problem goes away.

Do you live near the ocean? Did you buy a leftover new car? Find another dealer - if it is the same as my problem, it was easy to diagnose - just look at the rotors and see if they have some rust.
I wish i lived next to ocean would be nice ;)... No i live in regular NJ suburbs . The car was bought at the end of 2016 the 2017 model .So after filing a complaint with volvo dealer said they replaced hub bearing and so far they saying no more noise . So we will see. Picking up the car on sat. Yes i her about that as well that rust build up but this car gets driven every day except weekends.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after complaint was filed with Volvo Corp. Dealer replaced Hub bearing when they said it wasnt it and guess what the noise is gone. It said that you need to file complaint with Volvo before dealer start doing something about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have a link to any of those videos? I think I might have the same issue. Happens when I stop and take off sometimes. I thought it sounded like something is loose underneath like some of the body cladding on my v 60 cc.

Would like to check before I contact them.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
696 Posts
Do you have a link to any of those videos? I think I might have the same issue. Happens when I stop and take off sometimes. I thought it sounded like something is loose underneath like some of the body cladding on my v 60 cc.

Would like to check before I contact them.

Thanks,
Dave
Ours makes a single clunk when applying throttle from stop. I believe it's the brake hold function disengaging.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts