SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to upgrade wheels on my 04'.
The wheels im looking at are 19x8.5 with a +30 offset on a 235 35 tire.
Will this combo fit without rolling the fenders? Will I need a spacer?
If decide to put IPD's lowering springs on later, will this be too much?
many thanks'

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Bigger issue than fender clearance will be brake clearance. Diameter isn't a problem but clearance behind the spokes always is. The R Brembos are FAT.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This too is something im concerned about, and hard to get from wheel websites. I was wondering what others who have done 19" wheels have run into. Unfortunately searching for 19 on here is sort of ambiguous.
One nice member PM's me and said on his almost identical setup he ran a 10mm in the front and a 15mm in the rear.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Use the calculators, Luke *spooky disembodied voice*

Spacers of X width are really only part of the equation. Ya gotta know wheel width and the size of the tires going on, too.

For an idea of this, here's some calculator fiddling. Stock wheel/tire size is on the left.

Circumference, inboard clearance, and % speedo error (ideally within 2% of stock) are the big numbers to worry about. Outboard movement is also important, as beyond a certain amount, fender rolling will be needed (though I don't know that certain amount).

Ride height can mess all of these up. If you're dumped/slammed/hellaflush, even stock dimensions can rub.

Caliper clearance is also important, but that can't really be shown here and varies between models/sizes of wheel. PROBABLY safe with 19"s, as generally speaking, larger diameters of wheel like 19" will have less difficulty clearing our calipers than smaller ones.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I am running 19x8.5 et35, stock ride height, no spacers, 245/35/19 tires, and it's pretty flush. Could maybe use a 5mm spacer in the rear yet. 10mm spacer in the rear rubs over bumps.

·
Registered
218 Posts
::puts flamesuit on::

The wheel/spacer combo on my Rotiforms is 18x8.5 et20 front and et5 in the back. I'll have to double check, but my tire size is 225/35/18. I am maximum low on my BC coils and it only rubs on extremely hard cornering. Some sway bars would solve that issue.

A more conservative ride height would suit 19's very well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
One nice member PM's me and said on his almost identical setup he ran a 10mm in the front and a 15mm in the rear.
On the calculator sites, if you are going to use spacers, just add the space thickness to the ET and you have it. Desired wheel has a +35 ET and you want to run 10mm spacer, then put +45 in the calculator.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
On the calculator sites, if you are going to use spacers, just add the space thickness to the ET and you have it. Desired wheel has a +35 ET and you want to run 10mm spacer, then put +45 in the calculator.
Nope, you have it backwards. If you're running a 10mm spacer with a wheel that has a +35 et, then the effective offset would be +25 et.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone with bigger wheels running lower springs on 4c struts?
The 19" 235 is less than a half mph off at 70 vs stock
And 25.33" vs 25.48 overall. Seems like a perfect fit. Im wondering how springs will affect this. Not sure theres a calculator for this. (fit that is)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone with bigger wheels running lower springs on 4c struts?
The 19" 235 is less than a half mph off at 70 vs stock
And 25.33" vs 25.48 overall. Seems like a perfect fit. Im wondering how springs will affect this. Not sure theres a calculator for this. (fit that is)
I run 19x8.5 vanillas with 235/35 + IPD springs on stock 4c.. Zero clearance issues or rubbing. However...ride quality notsogood...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Lower profile tires will always give you a harsher ride (less give in the sidewall). That, plus less give from the stiffer, shorter springs, plus how unforgiving 4C already is over large bumps...

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Lower profile tires will always give you a harsher ride (less give in the sidewall). That, plus less give from the stiffer, shorter springs, plus how unforgiving 4C already is over large bumps...

Some tire brands are better than others. When I ran michelins PS1s, they were quiet, soft and plenty of grip. The current Bridgestone RE760s aren't bad either, a bit stiffer due to the firmer sidewalls, but the ride is acceptable. Of course you can't compare to the realm of 17" sidewall cushions.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Bigger issue than fender clearance will be brake clearance. Diameter isn't a problem but clearance behind the spokes always is. The R Brembos are FAT.
This ^
Design of the spokes and if they concave too much towards the center of the hub.

Offset , Diameter and Width are surface numbers and the true-test is the test fitting the wheel on the R. So if you want to be unique and run a set nobody has tried before, this is what you'll need to do.

Here's me test fitting my last set of wheels (in my Signature).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting, what do you attribute that to? Ride harsh?
Definitely the thinner sidewalls. I just put on 18s with 40 series (getting the vanillas refinished) and it smoothed out some. The IPD springs are sort of bouncy too. Might be worn struts contributing....I have a full 4c refresh coming, including a swap to TME springs. I hope that helps the ride quality issue...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Definitely the thinner sidewalls. I just put on 18s with 40 series (getting the vanillas refinished) and it smoothed out some. The IPD springs are sort of bouncy too. Might be worn struts contributing....I have a full 4c refresh coming, including a swap to TME springs. I hope that helps the ride quality issue...
Where did you find TME springs? Only vendor I can find stateside is VIVA, and they're sold out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts