SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Illuminati, My sister has a 2008 c-30 with 17" wheels & lo profile tires. It looks sweet but she has an issue. She was transferred to a location for work that has a mile and a half of cobblestone streets. Since being transferred she has cracked 3 rims, they have been welded but now she has issues with her tires, the belts have shifted around. She has to do something and I suggested going to a steel 16 inch wheel/wheel cover (available from Volvo) and a taller (if you will) sidewall non lo profile tire. Aside from changing the look of the car what other affects would she possibly have...change in speedo? change in driving dynamics your collective thoughts/opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance JHW

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Where in NJ is she cracking rims on cobblestone streets? I've driven my S60R and now my S60RD both with 235/40/R18 tires and never cracked a rim, maybe dented one here and there (not the new car). If she is running a 45 sidewall on her 17" wheels, she may be able to run a 50; my fiancee's new S60 T5 AWD has a 50 sidewall on her 17" wheels. I can't really see a 16" wheel bringing it any higher of a sidewall than a 50.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She works for NJ Transit and the drive is actually over railroad riprap in addition to the roads of Hoboken, I will see if there is a 50 available that will clear the fenderwells. I thought i would get more feedback from knowledgeable folks here!! I cannot get a real answer from the dealer, they say none of this is possible and her car is the only one they have ever heard of this happening to!! Balderdash, we cracked a rim on our S-80 in Canada I had the rim welded, the original Michelin tire had a bubble (from same pothole crossing border)and was replaced by cooper cs-4s' w/ 50 sidewall.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I work for NJ Transit as well, small world! I work in Newark Penn Plaza though. 50's will clear the fenders, its just she may get rubbing on full lock turns, but spacers can fix that.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

1 - 5 of 5 Posts