SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

wheel bearing replacement

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  rmeillier 
#1 ·
Hey I need to replace my wheel bearing, which is integrated to the wheelhub from my understanding.
Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the wheel hub.
Thanks!
Tyler

#2 ·
You didn't specify front or rear.

Front:
Remove steering knuckle assembly from car and press out the bearing. Clean the mating surface of the new bearing before pressing it back in. Reinstall steering knuckle assembly.

Rear:
Remove brake rotor and unplug wheel speed sensor. The bearing is held in place with 4 Torx 50 bolts that are usually rusty - impact tools are helpful here. Once the bolts are out, sometimes the hub will fall out itself but usually you have to beat it with a hammer. Reassemble.

#3 ·
Oh sorry, its the front and I am replacing the entire hub assembly, I didn't think you could buy the bearing separately. This might be harder than I thought lol

#4 ·
You're right, the bearing is integrated with the hub.

In any case, it is a press in/press out procedure once you have the steering knuckle off the car. With the proper tools, it really is a pretty simple job.

#5 ·
Ok so I got most of the stuff done but how do I get the actual assembly off? Do I just hit it till it comes off? Thanks in advance!

#6 · (Edited)
you have to disconnect tie rod end, ball joint and strut, than you will be able to slide out the hub assembly.
Also, you gonna have to disconnect ABS wire etc. When you are undoing ball joint and tie rod end, make sure you dont damage the rubber boot.

#8 ·
I got it, I didn't know you had to remove the ball joint. Volvo is odd.... most manufactures just use bolts lol.

#9 ·
Does anybody have any ideas as to how to change the rear hub assembly? My wife's car is a 2006 V50 AWD. Wanted to know also if the rear hub on an AWD is different from the rear of as Fwd?

#18 ·
Done the rear passenger side twice (after affects of racing around in the SCCA) rear hub assembly on my 05 AWD is a complete unit, that has 4 bolts, pop them off, slide off the bad hub (hammering off the lugnut thingy's, good for spares since so many people seemed to be snapping theirs), lining up the splines, with the splines on the rear axle, and sliding it on. You can keep the hub, and punch in the bearing carrier assemblies, but I never found the carriers themselves. Hardest part is breaking tq on the star bolts, and lifting the car, it's an easy job.

#19 ·
Ok, I received my hub assembly today. It's like you said, 4 bolts. So not pressing is not required. I think my question was misunderstood earlier. I'm replacing the whole assembly, not just the bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.