SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I just put new rotors and pads on the front. Car steers much better, and more firm control.

Initially, I was feeling vibrations from the steering wheel around 45-55MPH and when braking from there. So, I figured the rotors were warped and just old. Having 105K on my S40, I'm sure the rotors were well due to be replaced.

Well, those vibrations went away completely after I did the brakes, but I still hear the lower "dumdumdumdum" sound if ever so subtly, like something is rotating, but a lower frequency sound, if that makes sense.

Looked at threads about wheel bearings, but unless I take apart the suckers, I don't know for sure. Haven't rotated my tires yet, however. I have 1mm more tread in the back tires than the fronts. Haven't had an alignment done yet after doing new rotors, either.

So, I'm at a loss for an explanation. I do have aggressive tires, so after I get these rotated to the back and get an alignment, maybe the sound will go away, but would such a sound be related to tires and/or alignment. The car doesn't pull to one side or the other, and in my opinion drives rather straight, so not sure an alignment would do any good.

Another possibility is I have NOT done the back rotors yet. Pretty sure it's coming from the front, but who knows. Maybe it's the back rotors and they are causing the rest of the sound I'm hearing?

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I had to replace my rear right rotor around the same mileage. Took a lot of experiment to figure it out. It got progressively worse until I finally replaced it.
I guess you can check if you take off the tire and try to turn the hub with your had. See if there is any grinding or resistence. With the wheel on, it is really hard to detect.

Replacing the rear hub is not that bad.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Jack the wheel making the noise up and see if it has any play in it. If it doesn't, rotate the tires.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I am bumping this thread, does anybody have a write-up to replace the hub assembly? I get a squeaking sound out of my driver-side front under 10 mph constantly and I can feel the wheel rotating through my floor at fast speeds. I am pretty sure its the bearing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts