SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I need new front wheel bearings (at least one) on my 2007 V50. I assume they are the same or very similar as the ones on the S40 and I am wondering what I could expect to pay to have them replaced. Although I always appreciate those who suggest ways I could change them myself, unfortunately I cannot do the work myself and I don't have the space or the tools.

I'm hoping to avoid having the work done at the volvo dealer so hopefully that will be possible. Does anyone have any experience with this cost and care to share their opinion? It is greatly appreciated. I live in Michigan, if that helps the estimate.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Dealer charge was around $375ish if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have plenty of tools and still had to take it to a shop to have the old bearings pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I saved quite a bit by pulling the hub assemblies myself but I did snap a tie rod end in the process. $50 for the bearing work and $75 for the tie rod end. The front bearings are not for the faint of heart, the rears are much easier. If you just noticed the problem then you have some time before they "need" to be done. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Well... have you considered getting an entire (used) hub / knuckle assembly and installing it that way? If you do it like that, then (I think) you just need to pop the knuckle off the ball joints.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I used to buy knuckles with bearings for my audi cause I didn't have a press

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had both my front bearings replaced by the stealership. It was just shy of $700 out the door for parts and labor (plus I talked them into an oil change, car wash and tire rotation) I joined VCOA and saved a lot of $$$$ on the job.

The good: Lifetime parts warranty so these are the last hubs I'll pay for and I know it was done correctly.
The bad: $700 dollars (for both sides).

To my knowledge, this is not a DIY job as you need the specific press and it has to be done with precision. I called a few indy places and they said they don't do them/ it would be the same price because it's a difficult job. Obviously if you buy the spindle assembly you could DIY but I didn't feel good about putting used hubs on my car.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
My thought: aren't most wheel bearings supposed to last the "liftetime of the car"? At least, most of them do. IMO for like $50 and a afternoon of your effort, not a bad investment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had both my front bearings replaced by the stealership. It was just shy of $700 out the door for parts and labor (plus I talked them into an oil change, car wash and tire rotation) I joined VCOA and saved a lot of $$$$ on the job.

The good: Lifetime parts warranty so these are the last hubs I'll pay for and I know it was done correctly.
The bad: $700 dollars (for both sides).

To my knowledge, this is not a DIY job as you need the specific press and it has to be done with precision. I called a few indy places and they said they don't do them/ it would be the same price because it's a difficult job. Obviously if you buy the spindle assembly you could DIY but I didn't feel good about putting used hubs on my car.
Thanks everyone for the replies!!

When you said you saved money by joining VCOA, do you mean that $700 was the discounted price? What was the price before discount? Forgive my new-to-Volvo-ness... but how exactly does joining VCOA save you money on repairs?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies!!

When you said you saved money by joining VCOA, do you mean that $700 was the discounted price? What was the price before discount? Forgive my new-to-Volvo-ness... but how exactly does joining VCOA save you money on repairs?

Thanks again!!
$700 was post discount. VCOA fee is like $40 and one of the benefits is discounted parts/labor at volvo dealerships

·
Registered
259 Posts
^ not bad. i was quoted about $430 for parts and labor in a dealership. it might be a bit cheaper in the US.

·
Registered
95 Posts

It should look like this one:

..And if you get a 78mm bearing kit, you should be able to tackle the job without removing the spindle:

A shop installed my front left bearing a few months back and I suspect they just brute-forced the installation without the propper kit. The car ended up stranded 350 km from home on a Saturday with one front wheel making all kinds of strange noises. It left me with the only option of buing the kit and a bearing and do the job right myself to get my car and myself back home safely.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It should look like this one:

..And if you get a 78mm bearing kit, you should be able to tackle the job without removing the spindle:

A shop installed my front left bearing a few months back and I suspect they just brute-forced the installation without the propper kit. The car ended up stranded 350 km from home on a Saturday with one front wheel making all kinds of strange noises. It left me with the only option of buing the kit and a bearing and do the job right myself to get my car and myself back home safely.
Do you know the part number off hand?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a couple of independently owned carquests near me that have machine shop. If you bring the knuckle and bearings to them they will press old out and new in for a nominal fee. On charges $35.00 and the other charges $50.00. I ended up taking it to a indy mechanic place closer to me and they did it for free. Got lucky I dropped it off, they were busy. Came a couple of days later and they had forgotten to do it. I waited a few minutes and didn't charge because of the inconvenience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was quoted $750 for mine and I ended up doing it myself. It's not very hard, you just need the right tool. The most difficult part is pressing out the bearing and pressing in the new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
I need new front wheel bearings (at least one) on my 2007 V50. I assume they are the same or very similar as the ones on the S40 and I am wondering what I could expect to pay to have them replaced. Although I always appreciate those who suggest ways I could change them myself, unfortunately I cannot do the work myself and I don't have the space or the tools.

I'm hoping to avoid having the work done at the volvo dealer so hopefully that will be possible. Does anyone have any experience with this cost and care to share their opinion? It is greatly appreciated. I live in Michigan, if that helps the estimate.

THANKS!!
Hi,
I have just been quoted NZ$1000 (@US$650) including labour and parts for mine. :rolleyes:
I have a slightly rumbly bearing on a slight left hand steer or on a road where the camber makes the car lean right. Damned nuicance but it needs to be fixed because according to Murphy's Law, it will crap out at a VERY inconvenient time and place!!:angryfire:

Oliver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts