SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Recently purchased an XC90 T6 Inscription and love it so far. Came with 20" wheels and all-season tires.

I'm coming from an Audi with Quattro and the difference in snow after switching from all-seasons to dedicated winter tires was night and day. Turned the thing from confident to an absolute beast that could handle just about anything.
I used a 19" summer set and a dedicated 17" winter set. Because of the tire sizing they took up about the same amount of space and looked great.

Would like to go ahead and get a winter set together ahead of time for the XC90 but am wondering if anyone out there is using 18" wheels on theirs? 19's?
Obviously the larger you go the more expensive the Blizzaks get and I'm just interested in getting the job done while we're traveling in these wild Wisconsin winters.

Interested to hear what kind of dedicated winter sets you all are running, if any.

Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
We had awful N’ferra tires on there from the dealership. Even in AWD mode we were slipping and sliding like crazy. Swapped in Nokian WR G3 “all weather” tired and it has been amazing (Colorado winter). The plan is to keep them year round and so far they’ve been amazing champs in snow, rain, ice and sun. I’d get these again for this car in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is a sticky I think for this

I find the blizzaks and x-ice are fantastic on prior SUVs, but I went cheaper as my volvo is a lease. I bought the new cooper studlless which looked very similar to blizzaks and were a steal. Tirerack sold them to me on rims RTG. See the sticky for lots of info

You may be disappointed in the volvo 'awd' system. Its really fwd with rear only on demand, so it understeers in the slippery stuff, whereas my prior jeep/dodge suvs run a little rear biased and ran true to oversteer which I much preferred

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ours wears 19" all year round, dressed with Dunlop Winter Sports during winter.
I wouldn't have bought these tyres were it not that they came on second hand rims
for the price of the rims alone (both rims and tyres were as good as new).
The Dunlops are good, no complaints. They get some good reviews in the EU:
https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tes...16.aspx?ComponentId=327012&SourcePageId=31821
Not exactly the size you would get for the XC90, but it gives some persprective.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I bought a set of 19" with Michelin winter tires to replace my summer 22". Couldn't be happier when it is cold outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts