SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a couple of 4 cylinder T5 drive e equipped cars with R design wheels and body trim, seats, and such. Their website even gives them their own model category. Yet there's no mention of this dumbed down version of the RD at Volvo's website. Was it just an experiment they decided was a bad idea or what?

http://www.northpointvolvo.com/comm...60T5+R-D-2809f53a0a0a0002001c7a8191360b59.htm Listing for one

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I don't know why they are doing it with the T5 trim but the 6 cylinder is out of production now, so any "new" R Designs will be with the Drive-E drivetrain, just not sure why they aren't T6's.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Volvo doesn't update its website very often unfortunately. To me the T5 RD is just an attempt to capture a few more buyers with very little development cost. There may be some folks out there who like the RD seats, wheels, other features but don't want the T6 and AWD.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It kind of cheapens the RD idea. The RD is supposed to be the top dog regular production model, not just an appearance package. Oh well, the owners of these will never know how smooth the I6 is :)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It kind of cheapens the RD idea. The RD is supposed to be the top dog regular production model, not just an appearance package. Oh well, the owners of these will never know how smooth the I6 is :)
They're turning R Design into M Sport, S Line and AMG "Trim". The owners of ALL new Volvos will never know the smoothness of the I6 unfortunately.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
R Design was already a trim package, witness the later gen V70 RD and XC90 RD. I did think for a second Volvo was turning the corner with the S60 RD by keeping it unique with the I6, AWD, and Polestar tune.

No matter, I don't think they will sell a lot of the T5 RDs so they will disappear pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
No matter, I don't think they will sell a lot of the T5 RDs so they will disappear pretty quickly.
Why not, did they not sell a lot of C30 RD's. If I'm not mistaken the R Design has always been a trim package and in some cases a few performance improvements thrown in, kinda like the ES, GT badges of the 80's and 90's. Perhaps Volvo is reserving the true performance variants to the Polestar badge where it can be worn proudly.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Why not, did they not sell a lot of C30 RD's. If I'm not mistaken the R Design has always been a trim package and in some cases a few performance improvements thrown in, kinda like the ES, GT badges of the 80's and 90's. Perhaps Volvo is reserving the true performance variants to the Polestar badge where it can be worn proudly.
The last generation of R Design was a full performance package. It had the Sport Suspension, Sport Seats, and R Design trim to go with AWD and the most powerful engine offered at the time. At the end of the cycle they started including the P* tune with them as well. Polestar cars are a step beyond R Design and produced in very limited numbers. They have only sold 750 P* cars/year up until this point and want to increase that to 1,500/year. That doesn't replace R Design across the entire lineup.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The last generation of R Design was a full performance package. It had the Sport Suspension, Sport Seats, and R Design trim to go with AWD and the most powerful engine offered at the time.
Larger brakes up front on the R-Design too (model year 2013+).

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Remember that this is only true in the North American market.

In the Euro market, the R-Design trim has been available on this car with much smaller engines than we will ever see here, including the low-hp diesel varieties.

The R-Design trim offers a lot without the T6 engine. I'd love to have a T5 or T6 Drive-E AWD R-Design.

Sure the 3.0L I6 is mooth, but these drive-E engines are SO much lighter and the 8 speed is so much more practical for daily driving than the higher peak torque. Not as fun, but more practical. ;)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Remember that this is only true in the North American market.

In the Euro market, the R-Design trim has been available on this car with much smaller engines than we will ever see here, including the low-hp diesel varieties.

The R-Design trim offers a lot without the T6 engine. I'd love to have a T5 or T6 Drive-E AWD R-Design.

Sure the 3.0L I6 is mooth, but these drive-E engines are SO much lighter and the 8 speed is so much more practical for daily driving than the higher peak torque. Not as fun, but more practical. ;)
The weight difference is not that big between the two cars, ~150 lbs and you lose 25 hp and over 50 ft/lbs of tq. The 6 Speed is also a much better transmission for a Performance vehicle. The 8 Speed is not built for performance but for fuel economy and struggles when you try to push it. Anytime you try to give full throttle in any of the 8-speed cars, there is a pause where the transmission or transfer case or something prevents the car from accelerating. This car is also FWD, not AWD. This is not a performance car in anyway, just a money grab. Performance are all about the fun. Practical is what the rest of the lineup is for.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What's with the T5 "R design" S60's I have seen on my dealer's lot?

Here in Europe RD is just a trim level which you can get with any engine (gas or diesel), even the weakest ones. Guess they are moving to the same system in the US now.

The only cars that were tied to a specific engine were the "real" R Models, RDesign has always been what the name suggests: a design variant

·
Registered
223 Posts
The full model designation is- "2016 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition".

Compared to the S60 T5 Drive-E Premier, it includes-

Harman Kardon 12-speaker premium audio
R-Design Off-Black Sport seats
Adaptive Dual-Xenon HID headlights
Keyless Drive
19" alloy wheels (vs. 17")
Speed sensitive steering
Sport suspension
Paddle shifters

The only options available are-

Convenience Package (Reaview Camera, Homelink remote, power folding side mirrors, grocery bag holder)
Blind Spot Information System
Heated Front Seats (Full Climate Package not offered)
Metallic Paint (Passion Red is standard)

It is also FWD only and shared the same 240hp 2.0L Turbo I-4 with other T5 FWD models.

Color options are-
Passion Red (no charge)
Osmium Grey Metallic
Onyx Black Metallic
Crystal White Pearl Metallic
Power Blue Metallic

The T5 R-Design appears to be a good value when compared to the T5 Premier. The base price is $3,300 higher ($40,840) but a T5 Premier with 19" Sport Package, Sport Seats, Harman Kardon Audio and Keyless Drive would sticker for $40,765 ($75 less than the R-Design) and it wouldn't include Xenon headlights or speed sensitive steering.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
There is a new "top dog" and it is called Polestar.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do we consider the P* to be a regular production model? I was more that willing to buy one at MSRP, but with only 6 V60's in Eastern Canada I was quickly outbid.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Do we consider the P* to be a regular production model? I was more that willing to buy one at MSRP, but with only 6 V60's in Eastern Canada I was quickly outbid.
The last batch were a limited production model. I paid MSRP and so did everyone who talks on the forum from what I understand. I can't speak for what others beyond that have paid. The price was given to me by Volvo NA when I confirmed my order before choosing a dealer.

They are looking to increase production in the future.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I don't know how many C30 RDs were sold and I don't know if that's a relevant comparison. I don't think this car will sell well because this is the 6th and one of the last years of this generation of cars and I just don't think there are a lot of potential purchasers waiting on the sidelines for a car configured like this in order to take the plunge - just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The weight difference is not that big between the two cars, ~150 lbs and you lose 25 hp and over 50 ft/lbs of tq. The 6 Speed is also a much better transmission for a Performance vehicle. The 8 Speed is not built for performance but for fuel economy and struggles when you try to push it. Anytime you try to give full throttle in any of the 8-speed cars, there is a pause where the transmission or transfer case or something prevents the car from accelerating. This car is also FWD, not AWD. This is not a performance car in anyway, just a money grab. Performance are all about the fun. Practical is what the rest of the lineup is for.
It's not the total weight that matters as much as where the weight is. The 3.0 sits higher and further forward, so that weight is entirely where it shouldn't be. The 2.0 with touring chassis feels much more lean and nimble than the 3.0 T6 R-Design. It's noticeable as soon as you hit a good curve. Having the lowered sport chassis with that powertrain setup would be an improvement in handling, hands down. Driving a Polestar every day, and not an R-Design, maybe you don't realize that. The Polestar suspension and AWD system is much better tuned to accommodate the nose heavy layout. And I bet a Polestar with a 2.0 T6 would do even better.

Another thing which is much more well tuned on the Polestar is the transmission programming. The R-Design transmission programming is lazier than the Polestar - many reviews comparing the two have said the same. What you experience is the Polestar's responsiveness which is noticeably better than the R-Design's according to auto journalists. The 8-speed doesn't feel any lazier than the R-Design to me - in fact engine responsiveness at highway speeds is much better. The gearing is just not as pleasant at lower speeds, and that 2.0T engine isn't going to give you many thrills on its own. On the other hand, the 3.0 T6's 6SPD has a very lazy 4th gear and above 85mph that's really all you've got. Plenty of VW's (and not Golf-R's, but TFSI Tiguans and GTIs) have no trouble keeping up at those speeds with much less torque on hand because they can access it better. I'd be very interested to see how the Polestar tune affects the transmission on the 2.0 T6.

Look at C&D putting the 328xi and A4 Allroad ahead of the V60 R-Design and their comments on why they did so. I'm not the only one who would welcome a lower displacement engine in a car this size if it's going to be my daily driver. And the R-Design styling make me VERY happy. Aside from protecting some ego's, there's no reason not to put the same styling kit on a slower car.

Sure, you're sacrificing the great engine in our cars, but the T5 is still a GREAT car in its own right and if it's what you're considering buying, having the R-Design setup and styling on it is a nice option.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Production will increase with demand, and in fact has already exceeded demand it seems.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The full model designation is- "2016 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition".
I don't know if it's still on the showroom floor but when it was sitting next to my V60 the placard for the R-Design stated it was limited to the South East. I've never dealt with North Point Volvo before (this is my first Volvo) so I don't if this was hyperbole on their part or typical dealership salesmanship. Honestly, I didn't notice that it wasn't a full on R-Design and that worries me a bit. If I didn't notice the difference then I assume other less informed buyers wouldn't either. Of course, I was in the market for a V60 and not an S60.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts