SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you read, my wife and I recently (Christmas Eve!) placed a $1000 deposit for our (3-year leased) fully loaded XC90, and we're beside ourselves with excitement and anticipation. Too bad it doesn't arrive until May/June.

But the staggering volume of technical issues -- some trivial; many not so trivial; some serious -- I've been reading here has me a bit concerned. And apparently I'm not alone; just see the other recent post asking for "happy" XC90 owners.

I get that due to the nature of this board, people with technical issues will be more likely to flock here to complain, but it's still concerning. Do we have enough data points to know, yet, whether the seeming spate of problems is indeed a legitimate and statistically significant concern, or whether it's just amplified here on this board?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aaah!!! Lying in my bed, covering my phone so my wife doesnt kick me out, reading the latest post on swedespeed!! Then to sleep!! Right after i wake up, ill put on my apple watch! Pre heat my fully loaded T8 and then lets hope i hit a traffic jam so i can see my car drive it self!!!!!! Woehoe sweet dreams!!

Night night!

Just another very VERY happy t8 owner!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I get that due to the nature of this board, people with technical issues will be more likely to flock here to complain
You answered you're own question. It's arguably the best 7 passenger SUV on the market and even many of those on the board with certain issues (myself included) still absolutely love it. It is the 2016 SUV of the year, and you need to consider how many have actually been sold (in relation to the insignificance of the posts on this board). :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was contemplating seriously about buying a new XC90 this summer but now either will hold on for another year or buy a loaded Denali instead.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Aaah!!! Lying in my bed, covering my phone so my wife doesnt kick me out, reading the latest post on swedespeed!! Then to sleep!! Right after i wake up, ill put on my apple watch! Pre heat my fully loaded T8 and then lets hope i hit a traffic jam so i can see my car drive it self!!!!!! Woehoe sweet dreams!!

Night night!

Just another very VERY happy t8 owner!!
:D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
As some of you read, my wife and I recently (Christmas Eve!) placed a $1000 deposit for our fully loaded XC90, and we're beside ourselves with excitement and anticipation. Too bad it doesn't arrive until May/June.

But the staggering volume of technical issues -- some trivial; many not so trivial; some serious -- I've been reading here has me a bit concerned. And apparently I'm not alone; just see the other recent post asking for "happy" XC90 owners.

I get that due to the nature of this board, people with technical issues will be more likely to flock here to complain, but it's still concerning. Do we have enough data points to know, yet, whether the seeming spate of problems is indeed a legitimate and statistically significant concern, or whether it's just amplified here on this board?
My suggestion to you would be to stay the course, treat every piece of information with a grain of salt but also use it to gain some insight/experience and look forward to getting in your possession the Motor Trend SUV of the Year or the North American Truck of the Year or the Business Insight SUV of the Year, etc. There is a reason why the press is gushing over this car and why it has, arguably, already won most awards than any modern SUV.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Happy owner here! Car spent some time in the shop to fix one of the cameras and for software updates.

I honestly don't think there's a better car on the market.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As some of you read, my wife and I recently (Christmas Eve!) placed a $1000 deposit for our fully loaded XC90, and we're beside ourselves with excitement and anticipation. Too bad it doesn't arrive until May/June.

TL:DR Your buying the second model year of a new vehicle, aka the factory producing it probably has had enough time to figure out the big glitches and problems plaguing the vehicle. Now there might be new minor issues popping up, but by the time your VIN is produced, expect to get a quiet refined version of the XC90.

As others have said, take the issues as things to look out for at pre-delivery and beyond, but dont expect these issues to be present in the second model year (at least for Volvo's sake).

BTW in regards to the awards, its a testament to the modern design and engineering standards Volvo has introduced in this class. Very big props to Volvo on there achievements. But for the sake of being correct, I do not believe these awards were given for reliability or long term testing. So until one of the mags decided to purchase one on their own dime, as a long term tester vehicle, for evaluation purposes, I think we cannot associate reliability (OPs concerns) to the awards the vehicle has won

·
Registered
381 Posts
My buying experience, beginning with the pre-order in Sept 2014 and ending with delivery, was subpar and a bit weird to be honest. I gave Volvo all the benefit of the doubt in the world before delivery. Car arrives, it is great and beautiful. Issues begin to come up, such as the very minor software issues that people have reported (such as annoying lumbar screen and a pesky "wiper error", to Sensus rebooting, to very scary false City Safety alarms including one that occurred when water splashed onto the front of the car, to squeaky brakes, to vibrations in the door panels caused by the B&W speakers.

And then came the water leaks, which by all indications that I have received from my service department is an engineering design flaw and not a factory assembly error.

The communication between Sweden, VCNA and the dealers is just downright bad. I don't need to prime you with examples, you can browse various threads on the forums and find reports of frustrated customers regarding the handcuff that service departments are so often under as they troubleshoot and attempt to fix these vehicles. The misinformation and bad communication evident company-wide during the First Update Delay Debacle was just hard to watch.

I don't care what ANYONE on this forum tells you that is either biased or has been lucky enough to not encounter an issue yet, the amount of reported issues that everyone on this forum that has been here and paid attention for the last several months has seen is astounding. Couple that with the diversity of the issues, the severity of many of the issues, and the sheer randomness at which some of them occur and it really is alarmingly unacceptable.

There are plenty of people on this forum that had reported no issues with their car after X number of miles that came back later and, sure enough, reported issues down the road. Sometimes issues pop up right away and sometimes they don't. Sometimes X event triggers a specific issue, and sometimes it doesn't.

Even if my wife and I agree to have a new car built to replace our defective one, I will not trust this car upon receipt.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Uh have you seen the latest reports on reliability for the Tahoe & GMC?? They got killed and ranked one of the lowest in the segment not to mention the droning sound that is physically making some ill. I think your better off with the XC90.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
BTW in regards to the awards, its a testament to the modern design and engineering standards Volvo has introduced in this class. Very big props to Volvo on there achievements. But for the sake of being correct, I do not believe these awards were given for reliability or long term testing. So until one of the mags decided to purchase one on their own dime, as a long term tester vehicle, for evaluation purposes, I think we cannot associate reliability (OPs concerns) to the awards the vehicle has won
True. However, some people here have had some legitimate early issues which happen with all brands. The overwhelming majority of XC90 owners are having a great experience.

The press has had countless XC90s for lengthy periods and these cars have exchanged many, many hands (hundreds of journalists, bloggers, etc). You would think that if this car was systematically problematic, quite a few journalists would have had issues and would have reported them.

Again, bad news makes splashier headlines. It is what happens in any industry.

·
Registered
419 Posts

According to my dealer, the type and proportion of issues reported here pretty much reflect what they encounter. It is a great physical SUV, but there will almost always be some software problems, and there can be more serious problems as well.

If you are taking delivery of a new XC90 EVERYTHING has to be checked carefully, and that means everything, no matter how long it takes. If the dealer does not want to cooperate, don't take delivery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You cannot read a car forum and make any assessment on the overall reliability of a vehicle. The percentage of owners that post to an Internet forum is like 1% and people with problems have a much higher probability of posting to a forum.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

Why not just push your delivery a few months and take a MY17? Not a full refresh, but at least a reset.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You cannot read a car forum and make any assessment on the overall reliability of a vehicle. The percentage of owners that post to an Internet forum is like 1% and people with problems have a much higher probability of posting to a forum.

If I had a powerball ticket for every time I've heard this one...

·
Registered
381 Posts
You know, I bought a 2015 Porsche Macan in it's first year of production.. 12,000 miles in and not a peep from the car. Mosey on over to the Macan Forums. Hardly a peep. Crazy. Literally the biggest gripe that the car endured on the forum when I first bought it was that the rear windshield wiper would *occasionally* activate at car start up for some people. That was the biggest gripe.

And the dealer actually knew things about the car when I ordered it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You know, I bought a 2015 Porsche Macan in it's first year of production.. 12,000 miles in and not a peep from the car. Mosey on over to the Macan Forums. Hardly a peep. Crazy.

And the dealer actually knew things about the car when I ordered it.
Every forum is going to have a mix of folks. This one has a few vocal Debbie downer types like yourself , which is not uncommon. Some people don't have enough hobbies.

I took delivery of one of the first Bmw 135i models in the USA, and had no issues after 8 years, yet there were lots of Internet forum complaints.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Even if my wife and I agree to have a new car built to replace our defective one, I will not trust this car upon receipt.
I'd almost certainly feel the same as you if my car develops a multitude of issues as yours has; that's a natural emotional reaction for such a large ticket purchase. However I'd be an outlier, as you are. The leaking issue would put me over the edge, but I am fortunate to garage my car and the instances in which it will be parked on an incline in heavy rain are few to none luckily.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My buying experience, beginning with the pre-order in Sept 2014 and ending with delivery, was subpar and a bit weird to be honest. I gave Volvo all the benefit of the doubt in the world before delivery. Car arrives, it is great and beautiful. Issues begin to come up, such as the very minor software issues that people have reported (such as annoying lumbar screen and a pesky "wiper error", to Sensus rebooting, to very scary false City Safety alarms including one that occurred when water splashed onto the front of the car, to squeaky brakes, to vibrations in the door panels caused by the B&W speakers.

And then came the water leaks, which by all indications that I have received from my service department is an engineering design flaw and not a factory assembly error.

The communication between Sweden, VCNA and the dealers is just downright bad. I don't need to prime you with examples, you can browse various threads on the forums and find reports of frustrated customers regarding the handcuff that service departments are so often under as they troubleshoot and attempt to fix these vehicles. The misinformation and bad communication evident company-wide during the First Update Delay Debacle was just hard to watch.

I don't care what ANYONE on this forum tells you that is either biased or has been lucky enough to not encounter an issue yet, the amount of reported issues that everyone on this forum that has been here and paid attention for the last several months has seen is astounding. Couple that with the diversity of the issues, the severity of many of the issues, and the sheer randomness at which some of them occur and it really is alarmingly unacceptable.

There are plenty of people on this forum that had reported no issues with their car after X number of miles that came back later and, sure enough, reported issues down the road. Sometimes issues pop up right away and sometimes they don't. Sometimes X event triggers a specific issue, and sometimes it doesn't.

I truly hope Volvo learns from this how NOT to handle a problem vehicle. I am not directly in the automotive industry and cannot offer some secret pearl of wisdom, but as a costumer, I feel Volvo should do its best to listen and try to satisfy the costumer. In this interconnected world, one unsatisfied costumer can cost Volvo much more than just the price of replacing the vehicle. Take ownership of the problem, a reputation is hard to fix. The XC90 is a great vehicle and the awards that it has won are a testiment to that and I wholeheartedly feel that most XC90s that come off the assembly line will be problem free. I am a very satisfied owner, but for those few with issues, do the right thing because that costumer should not feel shortchanged. Not all issues necessitate a refund or replacement and in those cases, make sure the costumer understands the problem, if it is a problem at all and if so, what is being done about it. Again, the costumer should not feel shortchanged, unlucky-maybe, but not shortchanged. Bolinp78, I very much hope things work out for you in the future whatever you and your wife decide.
To the OP, I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing an XC90! Like hdejongh mentioned, I now look forward to traffic jams just to watch her steer on Pilot Assist. And Adaptive Cruise Control is awesome! I love finally being in the future, finally! :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts