SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car came with the clear protective film on the front fascia, bumper and rearview mirrors. Is that from the factory or as a dealer installed option? What is the correct name for it if I decide to sell it?
BTW, I am in feeler mode as I am considering getting an XC60.
Thanks boys!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Clear bra. Most likely not a factory installed option.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks! What is the proper verbiage used by Volvo for it?
Again, it's not offered by Volvo.

Colloquially it's referred to as "ClearBra" but that's like saying Kleenex when referring to tissue. There are many different manufacturers. You can get it at many places: dealerships, body shops, tint shops, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Paint Protection Film is likely the proper term (but not mainstream, it's more like for the installers), or Stone Guard is the other term.

But JonnyRock, Clear bra is pretty commonly used, most people know what that means. Most people say "Band aid" for a bandage.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Still better than a stupid stone chip when you get one.
I have had it n two cars. It helps if you are moving slow and a pebble hits your car but at higher speeds with small to bids size rocks it does no good. It's only good if you can get it cheap and installed cheap. It also turns slightly yellow after time.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I have had it n two cars. It helps if you are moving slow and a pebble hits your car but at higher speeds with small to bids size rocks it does no good. It's only good if you can get it cheap and installed cheap. It also turns slightly yellow after time.
Well yeah, a golf ball sized one won't help too much, but at least 90% of all the smaller ones are deflected. It's a film, not a miracle. I wouldn't say that's overrated.

As for some turning yellow, that's true, but there are other brands out there that are more resistant than others. It's the cheaper brands that turn yellow quicker (dealer uses these more often for said obvious reasons).

·
Registered
83 Posts
The dealer I work at calls it Star Shield.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The dealer I work at calls it Star Shield.
There is numerous brands out there that make this stuff, whatever they call it, but I doubt they'll be able to deflect comets and stars landing on your car. Talk about bad product name LOL

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My car came with the clear protective film on the front fascia, bumper and rearview mirrors. Is that from the factory or as a dealer installed option? What is the correct name for it if I decide to sell it?
BTW, I am in feeler mode as I am considering getting an XC60.Thanks boys!

I thought I heard that bit at the beginning of the year. When are you going to decide to just keep the R?

·
Registered
272 Posts
But JonnyRock, Clear bra is pretty commonly used, most people know what that means. Most people say "Band aid" for a bandage.
That was exactly my point. Kleenex = tissue, Band-Aid = bandage, ClearBra = protective paint film.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sell that R and get an XC60. Join Volvo Club of america and get A plan discounting or jsut ask your dealer for the A Plan pricing, I saved 3K on my '13 S60.

Mmmmmmm
I'm trying but I guess 18" chrome Pegs are not in high demand!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3,788 Posts

Told you!...chrome anything is a gagfest....trade that thing in on a new car....them then to give you the A Plan pricing and you should also get $1000 loyalty credit. Volvo isn't selling a lot of cars so the ball is in your court.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
How can any car with chrome wheels NOT sell in NYC? You must live in the wrong burrough. Try Jersey.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts