SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm researching for our late April trip, it seems like much of Scandinavia doesn't kick into action until May or June. It's understandable since it appears April is still pretty cold and dark. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what's there to do during that time of year. Like, what's happening and what's not? For example, the ferries that go into both the Gothenburg and Stockholm archipelagos aren't running until later in the summer. Are places like Marstrand & Lysekil pretty dead during that time of year? It would stink to go to some area just find that that it's the low season and all the shops still closed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the ferries don't run yet, it seems the bus is the only way to get to Marstrand (unless you drive, of course).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
We picked up late april this year, apr 15 to 24. We hit Sweden for the only week of no rain, beautiful (60) sunny weather, and cool nights (it was rainy and cold before we arrived, and started to get cloudy when we left :D).

EVERYBODY was out enjoying the sun and warmth.

Its not that dark that time of year, I believe Goteborg gets at least 13 and up to 14 hours of sun late april.

If you hit a stretch of nice weather, it will be very rewarding and a real treat to live like the locals.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since you should be able to make one stop over on your flight to Sweden, you could go to Amsterdam and take a side trip to Keukenhof Gardens for the annual tulip displays if that is your sort of thing. Plus you can enjoy Amsterdam! We did this this spring from late April to early May on our trip.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We flew out 4/8 and got back home 4/28. The ferries were definitely running because we traveled on the Marstrand, Ockero/Hono, Rodby, and Helsingor ferries.

You can get really nice and yucky weather. We went south and did a fair amount of outdoor activities including Ales Stenar ("Al's stones" -- a Stonehenge) in Ystad Sweden, Keukenhof Gardens (really incredible), Waterloo battlefield, Ypres cemeteries, Calais' garden (Rodin sculpture) and beaches, V2 launch site, Monet's gardens, etc. Plus lots of museums and other indoor historic sites.

We had rain every day (but not all day any of the days) and the temperatures tended towards chilly.

It really depends on what you have interest in and how you travel.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We flew out 4/8 and got back home 4/28. The ferries were definitely running because we traveled on the Marstrand, Ockero/Hono, Rodby, and Helsingor ferries.
That's actually great to know. I am thinking about heading south towards Denmark on the days that we have the car. Because we have an extra day between returning the car and the flight back, I was considering about going to Marstrand for the day. Is the Marstrand ferry fairly accessible by foot? We'll be traveling with our 3-year-old, so we're not likely to do anything overly vigorous.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The Marstrand ferry is largely a pedestrian ferry anyway and the ride is only about 200 meters (2 US football fields +/-). Google maps is a very good source for figuring journeys and distances -- but I found the travel itself took 1.5-2x the time Google noted. I believe there's a bus to town if you're not driving; I have no other details than a memory of signs for it.

Marstrand: https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...2!3m1!1s0x46455d49af62ff95:0xa96b8c8d4241b6de

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The Marstrand ferry is largely a pedestrian ferry anyway and the ride is only about 200 meters (2 US football fields +/-). Google maps is a very good source for figuring journeys and distances -- but I found the travel itself took 1.5-2x the time Google noted. I believe there's a bus to town if you're not driving; I have no other details than a memory of signs for it.

Marstrand: https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...2!3m1!1s0x46455d49af62ff95:0xa96b8c8d4241b6de
I see. But you have to get to the road-accessible part of Marstrand from Gothenburg first before taking the ferry to the smaller island, right? So it's still a bus that you need to take from Gothenburg in order to get there. On the stromma.se site, they talk about a boat that can take you there directly from Gothenburg. But that one doesn't run until July.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I see. But you have to get to the road-accessible part of Marstrand from Gothenburg first before taking the ferry to the smaller island, right? So it's still a bus that you need to take from Gothenburg in order to get there. On the stromma.se site, they talk about a boat that can take you there directly from Gothenburg. But that one doesn't run until July.
Ahh, now I understand what you're asking. That boat doesn't show on google.

You can also check public transit rouging on google maps -- about an hour from downtown. I imagine the bus/train could be faster than the boat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I guess we're about to find out...

Flying out tomorrow. Forecast for all of our stops call for rain, cloud, thunderstorms, and even a chance of snow. It'll be an adventure for sure. Just pray that it's only a weather-related adventure and not an adventure with the vehicle. As I was telling GregK over PM, it doesn't feel real yet. Both he and I put in our orders back in August and it always felt like a long way off. In a weird way, I'm still at a "I'll believe when I see it" state-of-mind.

Thanks to all the forum contributors that have helped along the way.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
So I guess we're about to find out...

Flying out tomorrow. Forecast for all of our stops call for rain, cloud, thunderstorms, and even a chance of snow. It'll be an adventure for sure. Just pray that it's only a weather-related adventure and not an adventure with the vehicle. As I was telling GregK over PM, it doesn't feel real yet. Both he and I put in our orders back in August and it always felt like a long way off. In a weird way, I'm still at a "I'll believe when I see it" state-of-mind.

Thanks to all the forum contributors that have helped along the way.
LOL....share with us when the moment is that OKAY....this OSD is for REAL!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have time to travel further afield, I can thoroughly recommend Berlin. After our OSD we drove down to Copenhagen (the Oresumd bridge is spectacular) spent one night there, then on to Berlin via the ferry from Gedser to Rostock. A quick blast down the autobahn (fun!) to Berlin.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you have time to travel further afield, I can thoroughly recommend Berlin. After our OSD we drove down to Copenhagen (the Oresumd bridge is spectacular) spent one night there, then on to Berlin via the ferry from Gedser to Rostock. A quick blast down the autobahn (fun!) to Berlin.
I would be interested in your recommendations for Berlin. Where did you stay? What did you see? What would you do different? Any tips and tricks? Etc. etc.

Cheers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
We splurged on the hotel (after all we didn't have to pay for flights or a rental car!) and stayed at the Adlon Kempinski. Plenty to see and do: Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust memorial (both close to the Adlon), Reichstag (prepare to wait to get in unless you make a reservation for lunch), Tiergarten, the Berlin Wall remains and exhibit on Bernauerstrasse and other places, the Rittersport chocolate shop(!), the Olympic stadium, Checkpoint Charlie (which was to be frank very disappointing, cheesy and commercialized), KDV - the oldest and best department store, Berlin's equivalent of Harrod's.

Make sure you have good walking shoes unless you want to use the U-bahn (subway) or the S-bahn (overground). Rather than pay for extortionate hotel breakfasts we went to Cafe Einstein, a few blocks from the hotel, every day - traditional German breakfasts. My wife speaks fluent German and on our fourth visit we were shown to the back of the Cafe which we think was (secretly) reserved for locals - proper tablecloths etc! Also for dinner the Adlon has a great Thai fusion restaurant - Sra Bua. We also ate a couple of evenings at Ständige Vetretung to satisfy my wife's cravings for German food and it was very good, but be prepared to wait if you get there after about 7:00.

I would recommend buying a good guidebook too - there is plenty more to see.

If you go, enjoy, it's a great city. We also asked in advance (called Babara at the Volvo Baltimore reception center) for them to install European maps in the GPS which made navigating much easier. They said they would install US maps before the car is shipped to the US.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a quick check in to swedespeed. We're currently at the Radisson Blu. Delivery is tomorrow morning. Weather was great today. Sunday in Stockholm, on the hand, had just about everything: snow, rain, hail, and a little bit of sun for an hour or two just before sunset. Two days in the books and the trip has been enjoyable so far. But tomorrow's the big day.

kb

1 - 20 of 27 Posts