SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a very slow seep in the endcap on my radiator for about 2 years. Last week, it decided to dump about 2 cups of fluid on the ground after I parked. Filled with water, took it to the dealer, and now its not leaking. Dealership inspected and says they see dried coolant but no active leak, WTF.
Just to be per-emptive, I've been calling around to see what the cost will be to replace. :eek:
Everyone wants $900-1200. Most of the "Volvo Shops" I called had never done an "R" before, and didn't know if it would take extra time or not. For once I might have to pony up and use the dealership. My confidence in the indie shops around the bay area took a serious nose dive.
I wonder if I should just do it myself, its a $350 part. Anyone know how hard it is?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have had a very slow seep in the endcap on my radiator for about 2 years. Last week, it decided to dump about 2 cups of fluid on the ground after I parked. Filled with water, took it to the dealer, and now its not leaking. Dealership inspected and says they see dried coolant but no active leak, WTF.
Just to be per-emptive, I've been calling around to see what the cost will be to replace. :eek:
Everyone wants $900-1200. Most of the "Volvo Shops" I called had never done an "R" before, and didn't know if it would take extra time or not. For once I might have to pony up and use the dealership. My confidence in the indie shops around the bay area took a serious nose dive.
I wonder if I should just do it myself, its a $350 part. Anyone know how hard it is?
Easy, just remove the bumper and top cover thing (look up the phuz intercooler install for easy instructions), unplug the battery (just to be safe), take off the 4 bolts holding it to the AC condenser and intercooler, remove the two mounting bolts, remove the bolts to the fan, drain the fluid, pull the two hoses off, and voila you can pull it out. Insert the new one and reverse the steps and you're there. It's not a $900 job by any means, but may be a little intimidating for someone who's never done it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hmm yeh, I just ordered a new one, $183 shipped. Should be here Thursday. Easy install.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gorge @ Viva had all aluminum radiators talked about for a while. Wonder what ever happened to them. I still want one for my SR GT

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well If I could do it myself, than maybe I'll add in the IPD Intercooler while I'm at it. I mean I am saving money, wife shouldn't care if I spend $1200 at the dealership or $1200 at IPD,,,right?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well If I could do it myself, than maybe I'll add in the IPD Intercooler while I'm at it. I mean I am saving money, wife shouldn't care if I spend $1200 at the dealership or $1200 at IPD,,,right?
Now you have got the idea! Go for it!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
No clue where you are but the removal and install is pretty straight forward. Unless it is under warranty I wouldn't take it too the dealer. Any indy should have no problem doing this at a much lower price. If you have been to an indy shop that has screwed ya over just try another they are everywhere. I was screwed by an indy and I looked around for one with good reviews and asked friends and found a great indy and he is very fair on his prices and installs although he is closed on weekends but I can't blame him there :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Definitely agree that it's the perfect time to get an aftermarket intercooler, whether it's IPD or Viva/Todd.

Also, if you have a manual, there was an all-aluminum radiator on eBay that dougy or pirate had found for ~$350

Would also be a good time to get a water temp gauge installed if you like those kinds of things...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
^^ you have a temp gauge already...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
^^ you have a temp gauge already...
Yeah, it kind of tells you the temperature in a non-linear fashion...

Besides, one can never have too many gauges. Duh! :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have called about 4 indy shops and 1 radiator place. The cheapest for factory parts was $900. For $1200 I get the dealership to do it with a two year warranty, everywhere else was 1 year. Plus if the other shops screw something up, they probably won't fix it. I might just go the way of DIY. I can get the factory from viva for $350ish, than buy the intercooler from ipd plus all new hoses and thermostat (just in case), and still be under the $1200 mark. Just need to find some ramps to put the car up on. Anyone in the Bay Area want to help? I make my own beer!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Check tascaparts.com for prices on oem parts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Either FCP or Tasca for OEM parts and buy the parts and just have an indy do the install it's what I do, no need for them to buy the parts at a markup but if you think you can do this DIY then more power too ya good luck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have called about 4 indy shops and 1 radiator place. The cheapest for factory parts was $900. For $1200 I get the dealership to do it with a two year warranty, everywhere else was 1 year. Plus if the other shops screw something up, they probably won't fix it. I might just go the way of DIY. I can get the factory from viva for $350ish, than buy the intercooler from ipd plus all new hoses and thermostat (just in case), and still be under the $1200 mark. Just need to find some ramps to put the car up on. Anyone in the Bay Area want to help? I make my own beer!!!

do you mean the SF Bay Area? if you go the DIY route and you're in the SF Bay Area, let me know - i'll help.

·
Registered
386 Posts
so happy, the radiator was the last thing to replaced umder my cpo warrenty last summer. with like 26 days left in the warrenty, the dealer replaced it, and a bunch of other parts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts