SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to decide if I should keep the r. I love the car. But I have to do timing belt, clutch kit, collar sleeve, possible 1rear shock and a steering angle sensor.

So what have you guys paid to have the clutch done? One local European shop quoted me like 2,700. And I think the other quote was 1,200.00. So I'd just like to get some input for you guys.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
So I'm trying to decide if I should keep the r. I love the car. But I have to do timing belt, clutch kit, collar sleeve, possible 1rear shock and a steering angle sensor.

So what have you guys paid to have the clutch done? One local European shop quoted me like 2,700. And I think the other quote was 1,200.00. So I'd just like to get some input for you guys.

Thanks.
I hv a local dealer that treats us mad good. He did a clutch job on my moms R, and it was like 1700$ but I think that included flywheel and slave cylinder because hers crapped the bed.

Anyways...I have a Volvo master tech buddy who does side work and he told me 500$ gets me installed new flywheel,clutch and slave kit.

Helps to know people ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow $1700??! I need to get my Slave Cyl, Clutch, and Flywheel replaced and I called 2 indy Volvo shops and a Volvo dealer, all quoted me around $2800 before taxes. Man I need to move to MA

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
What symptoms are you having that indicates you need to replace the clutch? Is it slipping or?

Of those the repairs the clutch job will cost the most so be sure of the need.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My local Volvo Indy charges $600 Labor on a clutch job.

Clutch Kit <$300
Slave $150
Collar<$200
Fluids $100 or less

$1200 is a very good deal.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I run wot through 1st 2nd then when I hit third it slips. A few times when hitting 2nd gear hard it will slip. Bone stock no power adders. Plus my pedal feels very weird at times. Like very short engagement then next time it will be normal. So either the clutch master or slave is having problems too. Crazyace, I'm on my phone while reading your post so as I read it I could not see where you were from but as I scrolled to the left to see I was really hoping that you were in the pacific NW! Oh well. I'm sure I can get it done cheaper. Just have to find someone capable and willing to install my parts.

I found the parts on viva. Is there a better place to buy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
OEM Parts - Tasca is the cheapest.
Make sure to have the VIN for correct parts.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
OEM clutch and Viva lightweight flywheel is what I'll be going with either when my clutch fails or over next summer. The lightweight flywheel is so much nicer, and it's cheaper than the OEM dual mass flywheel.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
But it makes noises^
Actually it is the transmission, e.g., gear rattle that makes the noise. However noise is noise, and the role of the dual mass is to dampen out the power pulses which cause the gears to rattle in neutral with clutch out. It is a much simpler manufacturing process to make a single mass, so they should be cheaper. Unless there is an overwhelming desire to go to single mass, more often than not the flywheel will not need replacement.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually it is the transmission, e.g., gear rattle that makes the noise. However noise is noise, and the role of the dual mass is to dampen out the power pulses which cause the gears to rattle in neutral with clutch out. It is a much simpler manufacturing process to make a single mass, so they should be cheaper. Unless there is an overwhelming desire to go to single mass, more often than not the flywheel will not need replacement.
I have no desire to change flywhels. Would be nice to get a light weight one, but this engine makes plenty of TQ. And there are a lot of hills around here. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have no desire to change flywhels. Would be nice to get a light weight one, but this engine makes plenty of TQ. And there are a lot of hills around here. Thanks for the suggestion though.
A lightweight flywheel takes load off of the engine, allowing the revs to rise and fall much quicker, making shifting faster possible. The differences are very noticeable and if you have to replace your clutch you might as well replace the flywheel at the same time..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a few cars that I did the light weight fw in. Where they don't help are in a hill heavy area. There is nothing wrong with my fw. And I'm trying to decide if it is even worth keeping at this point. So another 500 for a fw won't happen.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to have one but at this point repairs , mods and prevenetive maint is going to aproach the trade in value of the car.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I had a few cars that I did the light weight fw in. Where they don't help are in a hill heavy area. There is nothing wrong with my fw. And I'm trying to decide if it is even worth keeping at this point. So another 500 for a fw won't happen.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to have one but at this point repairs , mods and prevenetive maint is going to aproach the trade in value of the car.
Going too light with a lightweight flywheel makes for an uncomfortable daily driver. How many pounds lighter than the factory flywheel was your lightweight flywheel on your other cars?

Since flywheels have come up again in the R Forum, I'd recommend you inspect the DM flywheel for run-out/play before you simply reuse it. Depending on your mileage/flywheel condition, it may need to be replaced anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts