SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First post, joined specifically to ask this question.

How much noise are people experiencing in their cabins?

I have a 2016MY XC90 momentum with the standard sized wheels.

I'm a little disappointed in the amount of noise I hear towards the rear of the cabin, the Volvo engineer told me it was expected.

Has everyone else's experience been better, or is this expected? I came from a 5 series Saloon which is a different experience so maybe I simply have different expectations.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Each model is probably a bit different based upon the amount of sound deadening material used. I have the 2017 T8 Inscription and find it really quiet. We also have the third row folded and a mat on the floor and sides. The rear area is like a cave and probably amplifies the sound from the suspension and tires. Also I have the air suspension and find on the freeway it appears almost silent. In the old days folks would have their undercarriage covered with an asphalt like material that protected from water/salt and acted as a sound dampener.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Each model is probably a bit different based upon the amount of sound deadening material used. I have the 2017 T8 Inscription and find it really quiet. We also have the third row folded and a mat on the floor and sides. The rear area is like a cave and probably amplifies the sound from the suspension and tires. Also I have the air suspension and find on the freeway it appears almost silent. In the old days folks would have their undercarriage covered with an asphalt like material that protected from water/salt and acted as a sound dampener.
Thanks. I don't think the noise I'm hearing sounds like road noise, more creaks and some rattles from the rear, regardless of whether rear seats are folded or not. The fact you don't notice anything otherwise does make me think I have a duff one

·
Registered
332 Posts
check tires closely for chopped or feathered tread, especially on inside edge of tires. what tires are on your car? oem pirelli get quite loud toward the end of their life

·
Registered
223 Posts
The first thing I noticed when I drove the car home was how quiet it was compared to my X5. Doesn't the XC90 have active noise reduction? I do notice now that some outside sounds do get somewhat oddly amplified.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The first thing I noticed when I drove the car home was how quiet it was compared to my X5. Doesn't the XC90 have active noise reduction? I do notice now that some outside sounds do get somewhat oddly amplified.
Only the T8 has active noise reduction.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The sound insulation is one of the weakest points of XC90 - especially in the earlier models. The cabin noise, especially from the wheels and chassis is not in pair with other cars in the similar class (Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes etc.). Really rough and noisy. From MY2018 they seem to improve and civilise it a bit though ... Especially the engine noise ... The chassis and wheels, especially in higher speeds on highway still produce some noise ... But much better than before ...

·
Registered
994 Posts
T8 is one of the quietest cars I have ever driven (even when the ICE is running).

T6 is a bit noisier, and T5 is even noisier. (From service loaners I have had both T6/T5).

My T8 is a 2018, not sure if Volvo improved the sound insulation across model years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The sound insulation is one of the weakest points of XC90 - especially in the earlier models. The cabin noise, especially from the wheels and chassis is not in pair with other cars in the similar class (Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes etc.). Really rough and noisy. From MY2018 they seem to improve and civilise it a bit though ... Especially the engine noise ... The chassis and wheels, especially in higher speeds on highway still produce some noise ... But much better than before ...
I have not driven a 2018, I can tell you with the 2017 i have driven multiple and I consider the cabin noise louder than expected for the price point of the car. I typically crack open the sunroof or turn the radio up a little louder to compensate. It not defining by any means, its certainly livable. Just wish it was much quieter.

Has anyone attempted to add sound deadening to the cabin or fender liners to try to combat this?

·
Registered
849 Posts
The car is very quiet. We often listen to classical music, and it is a pleasure in the XC90. For me, that is the best practical test of cabin noise. It is to some degree a personal judgment, but there is no way you can reasonably say that it is a noisy car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've dug around and found the SIM card holder unclipped which was the major rattling issue that was driving me nuts.

Since then I've been intently listening and the odd rattle and crack is still noisier than I'd expect for a premium level car. Through for the responses above. I'm happy with the motorway driving sounds, but I generally have a few short journeys also which highlight the poor quality in the cabin.

I was initially overjoyed with the purchase but should I swap my car, I'd be leaning away from choosing Volvo again

·
Registered
391 Posts
There are plenty of choices to pick from. We are living in a great age of automotive engineering. If you don’t like something, there’s another 10 to pick from, price not withstanding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are plenty of choices to pick from. We are living in a great age of automotive engineering. If you don’t like something, there’s another 10 to pick from, price not withstanding.
True. I do think maybe it's the SUV format that I'm not used to, I suspect with the big open cabin there was always going to be more noise than I'd previously experienced. I've gone around sticking/tying things down and it's acceptable now. I do quite like the car otherwise

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
My 2016 is loud; always has been. I've also chased countless rattles, squeaks and vibrations since the beginning.

Have had experience with two 2019 loaners over the past few months for extended drives and it's no doubt much quieter than my 2016.
It appears to me that Volvo has done a lot of work in this area.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I was taking apart some (2019 T8) interior trim for dash cam installation / wiring only to find some pretty darn thick and dense insulation all over the cabin floor - then in some places below that another thick layer of insulation. Looked pretty serious!

·
Registered
994 Posts
The T8 is extremely quiet due to extra insulation for the battery system and active noise cancelation in the audio system. Interestingly 99% of the posts I see here where people say their xc90 is noisy are 2016 models. Makes me wonder if Volvo added more sound deadening after 2016.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The T8 is extremely quiet due to extra insulation for the battery system and active noise cancelation in the audio system. Interestingly 99% of the posts I see here where people say their xc90 is noisy are 2016 models. Makes me wonder if Volvo added more sound deadening after 2016.
No need to wonder, they absolutely have made changes that have resulted in the 2019 being on par with Audi.

·
Registered
702 Posts
No need to wonder, they absolutely have made changes that have resulted in the 2019 being on par with Audi.
Does anyone know if this applies across the trims for 2019? Specifically I am looking at 2019 T6 models (not T8). Was the sound insulation improved for both the Inscription and Momentum trims?

·
Registered
702 Posts
To answer my own question for future posterity, the answer is NO the Inscription trim does not offer improved sound insulation over the Momentum. The dealer answered this, and I confirmed myself during test driving both trims on the 2019 T6.

I can confirm however, that to my ears anyway, there is a significant improvement in road noise reduction on the MY2019 T6 vs my 2016.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks. I don't think the noise I'm hearing sounds like road noise, more creaks and some rattles from the rear, regardless of whether rear seats are folded or not. The fact you don't notice anything otherwise does make me think I have a duff one
There are many TJs for these rattles. You need to identify the sources and ask dealer to apply TJs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts