SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of bored at work today, so this should be entertaining for a bit... What is the dumbest thing you have done while working on your R?

My dumbest moment includes the disconnection of a wastegate and blown up engine so I doubt too many of you have done worse.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
While uninstalling downpipe, one of the three downpipe to turbo housing bolts was seized and wouldn't budge. Used the cutting tool on my dremel to cut the head off. The head of the bolt fell down my shirt when it finally popped off and now I have a hexagon tattoo on my back, literally.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
My dumbest moment was relying on our idiotic e-brake alone while I jacked the front end up to put on the new wheels I got. When I finished putting in the 2nd lugnut, the car rolled backwards and popped off the jack. I immediately thought that I had ruined the hub and the wheel, but both were completely fine. Since then, I always put things behind the wheel and left the car in gear whenever I raised the car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Installed Tommy's front sway bar upside down (he handed to me that way) :p
When we dropped the car and it was sitting high, I told him: "don't worry, it will settle" LOL
But then he could not turn his steering wheel... :facepalm:
Anyway, we are now very good when it comes to replacing sway bars (a lot of practice).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
BING BING BING BING

Prienzo I think you already have the winner.

"blown up engine" , details please. It was more than bent rods?

·
6,436 Posts
Installed Tommy's front sway bar upside down (he handed to me that way) :p
When we dropped the car and it was sitting high, I told him: "don't worry, it will settle" LOL
But then he could not turn his steering wheel... :facepalm:
Anyway, we are now very good when it comes to replacing sway bars (a lot of practice).
haha i KNEW you were gonna bring it up!

but seriously...the priceless moment was when I said "wow it sits kind of high" and you said "dont worry, it will settle"

...and the fact that I couldnt turn the steering wheel was another giveaway hahaha

·
Registered
997 Posts
When routing my boost gauge tubing through the firewall gromet, I accidentally popped it out and had no idea. A few weeks later it poured for about three days straight and my 4C buttons started having a mind of their own (all three were lit up at times). 2 new sum modules later the dealer found out that the tubing had been catching water and feeding into the car under the carpet.... :facepalm: Needless to say I got a new carpet and yet another new sum module. That was back in '08 at least I can laugh about it now.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Not on the R but back when I had a Mk4 Golf, I welded my wrachet to the starter positive terminal and grounding point. Disconnect your battery when working on these!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Well…… (I already regret sharing this) I was using a floor jack and 2X4 across the front of the sub frame to jack up the whole front end at once like I have done many time before, using the same 2X4 that I kept around specifically for this purpose.

Little did I realize that every time I did this the 2X4 was getting weaker & weaker.

I got the car up in the air and was reaching for jack stands when I heard the sound of splintering wood, followed by a very nasty sound of metal on metal & plastic bits breaking, quickly followed by the pleasant sound of running water, almost like a babbling brook deep in the wilderness.

Probably one of the most expensive oil changes in recorded history, but it could have been much worse – I could have been reaching under the car with jack stands when the 2x4 let go

·
Registered
459 Posts
After havin a bitch of a time replacing my alternator, I backed out of my friends driveway and scrapped my rims on his damn curb/rocks.....I proceeded to do a burnout,went home, drank beer and cried.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not on the R either but back when I had my 02 Z06 I was upgrading the clutch because it was having issues holding from my heads and cam I did. To replace the clutch on those you have to take out the entire rear cradle for the suspension and the transmission, torque tube (pretty much the driveline), and the rear diff all come out as one piece, it takes some work. Any way I put a new flywheel in and didn't get the pressure plate lined up with it. I put everything back together, started the car up, pushed in the clutch and put it in 1st gear, let the clutch out to drive out of the garage and the car didn't move. Had to take everything apart again to get that damn thing lined up. Talk about a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
swapped out 4c's in the front and forgot to tie up the accelerometer wires on the front driver side.

wire dropped down onto the axle boot. Rubbed a hole in the axle boot, need a new axle now. Only way i knew this was happening was chassis message come up and my BSR tool said front right sensor.

Stuck my hand in there to jiggle it and out came a handfull of black thick GREASE. No towels or anything in my car, except some plastic bags. Guess who drove home from the gas station with bags as gloves.

So, repaired the wire today. Ordered new used axle from erievovo for $65 delivered. Monday i get to put two new front axles in my 168k VR.

Not mad at all since both axles were cracking and it is a matter of time before they busted. they look like stocks from day one.

Here is the fubar wire

·
Registered
727 Posts
put my directional tires on backwards, wonder why i had no traction in the rain :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
2 things:

When jacking up the rear I needed to get it about 2-3 inches higher than the little car jack could go, so I put it on a 2x4, which ended up breaking and the car dropped off the jack, I had to jump out of the way since it also hopped towards me. Probably the scariest moment I've had.

When installing my FMIC I had to hammer the AC drier line out of the way, I got it to the right position after slowly hammering it for about half an hour, started to walk away to grab the coupler I needed, but decided to give it one last whack for being a pain in the ass...needless to say that last whack tore a hole in the line and all my AC refrigerant sprayed out, I ended up replacing the AC condenser and drier (this current AC condenser has a f***ed up input connection so I'll probably have to replace this condenser also...:facepalm:)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
2 things:

When jacking up the rear I needed to get it about 2-3 inches higher than the little car jack could go, so I put it on a 2x4, which ended up breaking and the car dropped off the jack, I had to jump out of the way since it also hopped towards me. Probably the scariest moment I've had.

When installing my FMIC I had to hammer the AC drier line out of the way, I got it to the right position after slowly hammering it for about half an hour, started to walk away to grab the coupler I needed, but decided to give it one last whack for being a pain in the ass...needless to say that last whack tore a hole in the line and all my AC refrigerant sprayed out, I ended up replacing the AC condenser and drier (this current AC condenser has a f***ed up input connection so I'll probably have to replace this condenser also...:facepalm:)
Why on earth would you use a hammer?! I was able to bend mine out of the way by hand.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Why on earth would you use a hammer?! I was able to bend mine out of the way by hand.
I wasn't, I used a screwdriver at first to just bend them inwards, but I needed to move a specific section that I couldn't do by hand, so I used a 1/4" socket extension pressed up against the line and lightly tapped it with a hammer until it was in the right place

1 - 20 of 40 Posts