SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read a lot bad about them "crashing" and what not. what gives and what are the alternatives? monroe struts maybe? are oem mounts a must? and also what bushings because websites tend to be all over the place when it comes to bushings sometimes having the fronts but not the backs, i dont even know if there are back bushings. I know I sound dumb but any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Marshall

·
Registered
438 Posts
4c works great. For 3 people. They are over there somewhere. Everyone else either doesn't know what a good suspension is like or is crying themselves to sleep after every mountain drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Spend enough time on this forum and you'll start reading what others are using. You can get some KW coilovers or you can wait for RBbugBITme to finish his custom shock/spring set.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Some people are just incompetent when it comes to diagnosing and fixing suspension issues and/or to cheap to fix something right, so they prefer to blame it on the 4C system instead, lol.

FYI, the monroe struts and the OEM ones are one in the same.

If the AWD wasn't so important for the R you would see more threads about people wanting to delete the AG and haldex system too while claiming its all defective and not working right.

When I go mountain driving with my working 4C all I do afterwards is smile, lol. :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
4C is nice.... when you have smooth roads.

I replaced my 4C at 92k miles. Struts were still in good shape, they rebounded nicely. I opted to go with KW V2s to freshen the suspension, as well as having the ability to lower the car to whatever height I wanted. Cant do that with lowering springs!

Also, I have my KWs at 3 clicks from full soft for daily driving on crappy PA / NJ roads. the car just feels much more, "composed" how to say, and doesnt feel stupidly stiff

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some people are just incompetent when it comes to diagnosing and fixing suspension issues and/or to cheap to fix something right, so they prefer to blame it on the 4C system instead, lol.

If the AWD wasn't so important for the R you would see more threads about people wanting to delete the AG and haldex system too while claiming its all defective and not working right.

When I go mountain driving with my working 4C all I do afterwards is smile, lol. :p
Couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
4c works great. For 3 people. They are over there somewhere. Everyone else either doesn't know what a good suspension is like or is crying themselves to sleep after every mountain drive.
lmao...we have two...where is the third one...lololol

i bought my R with 32k and mine had 60k on them when they started crashing/failing and i am the second owner...before ordering a new set i decided cutting one up just to see how they are built internally " was not impressed at all " and you can judge for yourself just by watching them rust away externally as soon as you buy them...:D

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
lmao...we have two...where is the third one...lololol

i bought my R with 32k and mine had 60k on them when they started crashing/failing and i am the second owner...before ordering a new set i decided cutting one up just to see how they are built internally " was not impressed at all " and you can judge for yourself just by watching them rust away externally as soon as you buy them...:D
#3 right here! I'm a huge 4C fan. Just not a Monroe fan... 4C in the wagon works pretty darn good... Tires might have something to do with it, as does knowing where all of the bumps on my commute are. I never take it out of sport. It's not bad... Though I come from Land Rover EAS and XC70s so what do I know about sporty.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Having the ability to control the dampening setting is pretty awesome especially for people driving in areas where roads can go from blacktop to absolute sh!t like in my city. Until I get RBbugBITme's shocks I can't really compare them to anything but I think 4C is okay. I think it could've been done much better if the Volvo engineers/designers weren't facking idiots lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is sorta a fun thing imho on the forum too. Stealthy is just a few miles down the road so I actually hope to go for a ride in his R someday and feel what it should be like.

I'm just funning folks about their 4c. I think it might work good when it's all in newer condition. And I would like to be able to see that before I actually render a real opinion on them.

I think my issue is actually that both rears might be blown. The fronts were good on my R. I would replace the 4c parts but I'm concerned my springs are cooked too and at that point coil overs are economical. I also learned that BC coil overs were made in Taiwan and that got me off their case about Chinese car parts.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Some easily amused easily satisfied know-it-all slow learners are obstinate orifices who cannot -- can never? -- get it through their thick skulls that not all Rs are alike, and that their R is not necessarily representative of all, or even most, Rs. (Sadly, OTOH, for most people, this is not a difficult concept...)

Some people have never owned a well-behaved active-chassis vehicle, and so don't know any better, and thus are so impressed with 4C's ability to change suspension firmness from the cockpit that they think their system works great even though it actually sucks.

Some people make claims about what 4C is doing/thinking internally without a shred of evidence to back up their optimistic belief-based belief, and when asked for any, they vanish, only to pop up and pipe up elsewhere like an unwhackable mole...

4C, as implemented -- very poorly -- by Volvo in Rs, SUCKS!! It applies its suspension brakes with all the deftness of a bus driver who gets his passengers to fly towards the front of the bus when slamming on the brakes too abruptly time after time. It is an abomination, even if (accidents will happen...) it might work halfway decently in a few Rs (bfd...).

The fact that doing a SUM calibration with the headlights on will enable the caR to point its headlights down at the ground 15-20' in front of the caR is an indication of how much the poor misguided 4C SUM thinks the rear suspension is compressed (and how skyward the nose of the caR is pointed) at rest... Garbage in, garbage out. (Except for some otherwise-competent people who cannot help themselves from being simply garbage out on this particular topic.)

·
Registered
174 Posts
#3 right here! I'm a huge 4C fan. Just not a Monroe fan...
But 4C is Monroe(/Tenneco)'s invention. I'm unaware of any customer for it other than Volvo.

I'm a huge fan of a good active-chassis suspension system. There's no reason, in a good system, why every pebble or little pavement break needs to, or should, be felt at all, nevermind hard, when trundling along city streets at 20~25 mph in "comfort" mode. I guess Volvo just never got the memo?

I believe that Monroe knows more about ride control than does Volvo. I suspect that the glaring 4C suckiness (in so many Rs) is a Volvo, not Monroe, development.

Multiple Volvo owners who have(/had) an R and another Volvo with 4C have written that 4C is only (badly) screwed up in the R.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I wonder if it's the springs in that case. The r springs are pretty light damping rate I guess?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Its kind of funny to think that with all the reviews of the R by experts and the automotive media when the R was introduced, never was 'the ride of this car sucks' was a complaint made about this car. Body roll and understeer were some of the valid critiques that were made, so its strange to think that those people with bad suspensions think their experience trumps that of all the automotive experts who have driven a functional R.

I've seen everything from bad spring seats to bushings and bad sensors misdiagnosed as a '****ty 4C system' here, so you will have to excuse when I don't accept ignorant rants as a valid complaint, lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think part of it too is that a normal suspension has fewer failure modes. It's easier to troubleshoot and pretty predictable when it's hashed up.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I view the 4C the same way I do the AWD and anti-lock brakes. Complicated **** that can be hard to diagnose/fix when its broken and expensive to fix, but I take that in exchange for the capabilities it gives me versus not having it at all. I drive on everything from perfectly flat interstates and back roads to bumpy/rutted century old brick and dirt roads so I want multiple modes of operation instead of one. I sometimes either drive solo to having 5 passengers and hauling a one ton trailer and appreciate how the ride is pretty consistent across such a wide range of operations.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I like 4C, I'll be the third man. Not a perfect system, but doesn't bother me. The novelty of the changing settings is cool.

People always claim the suspension "crashes" over bumps. Yeah, if your sh*t is wore out and you hit potholes, it's going to feel like sh*t. No duh. If the occasional bump in the road bothers you so much, you are probably the kind of person who complains when their coffee is too hot or posts political memes on Facebook.

KW coilovers is the common replacement for the system. Everyone who switches to it seems to be pretty happy with the upgrade.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its neat to have and works for the most part, once things are tightened up or freshened up I'll be happier with it.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
"Its neat to have and work for the most part"

an official quote for R's 4C setup lololol....;)

it is very simply...you have those who are mesmerized by pressing those 3 buttons and then you have those that got rid of the 4c and still use those buttons for different boost setting...now lets look at the facts ...how many threads do you have on here from people that got rid of 4c and are dissatisfied or/and went back to 4c ???? I rest my case. lololol

i'll take my HD bilsteins ride over 4c anyday..;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
an official quote for R's 4C setup lololol....;)

it is very simply...you have those who are mesmerized by pressing those 3 buttons and then you have those that got rid of the 4c and still use those buttons for different boost setting...now lets look at the facts ...how many threads do you have on here from people that got rid of 4c and are dissatisfied or/and went back to 4c ???? I rest my case. lololol

i'll take my HD bilsteins ride over 4c anyday..;)

HD Bilsteins vs KW?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts