SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes I know Magnaflows have been covered a lot, and I searched thoroughly. I have been reading threads on this & other forums for days now. Nobody seems to have asked or answered what I want to know.. Most people favor the 4" round units or 14" long ovals. I want it quieter than that.

Basically, will a 5x8x18 (or 4x9x18) oval fit in there and still be able to do the 2.5" pipes to/from it? From what I have seen, you have to mount it on a bit of an angle, since the stock setup enters from the sides and not the ends. And if that size body will fit, do I want center/center or center/offset or offset/offset?

Model #s I am looking to use are #12256, 12246 or 11266..

Currently I have stock DP (will likely get OBX at some point but no rush) with cat removed, stock piping to the OEM suitcase, and stock piping from there back. Thats it. The stock suitcase sounds crappy from an exhaust note standpoint, and having seen one cut open its a restriction and a half. I like the type of sound T5's have with straight through Magnaflows, but I want to keep the volume levels & drone out.. I plan on doing 2.5" pipe from where the cat used to start, to a big Magnaflow where the suitcase is, and then another Magnaflow at the back. That part is easy to figure out what fits since its a straight run.

Any help is appreciated gents! Oh, and the car is a 96 855 T5 with intake & ARD Green, in case.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you should be fine with any of them I'm running a 14226

which is 21x8x6 it was a tight fit but the shop got it in with out any issues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's awesome. Any chance you have, or can take, a pic to post? I would love to see the layout and have something to show the shop if needed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually, are you sure about that model #? According to Magnaflow's site that's only a 14" long body....

And they don't show anything in 21" length, or 6x8 oval. Closest oval is 5x8. And 5x8's only come in 14", 18" or 24" lengths....

When I say 18" long, I mean the muffler body, as Magnaflow describes it, not reflecting pipe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
correct 14" body but overall with the tips that stick out its about 21" long. I do have pix if you PM me your number I can txt you the pix. They are not great photos, but what they did was 3" DP to 3" high flow cat, then put in the muffler at a (sorta) 45 degree in the spot when the orignal muffler was, then 2.5" over the rear and a Y pipe into my dual exhaust outs. (855 with an XC70 rear bumper).

The shop I took it to only charged me $250 (I provided the muffler, DP, and Cat). all mandrill bent pipes and everyone that see's it says the guy did some super tight bends in it. The pipe to go to the passneger side tip is actually stuffed up behind my rear bumper were the trailer hitch would go. its crazy how he did it but looks and sound sooo good.

Its honestly all a matter of the "skill" of the muffler shop. I took the exact same set up to a well known shop here in Orlando and the guy said their was no way in hell he could get it to fit. Then went to 3 other shops and they all said he was lazy. its a little more work but it can be done. I got the Muffler BNIB for $40 on craigslist, so I was willing to spend a little extra to make it fit vs spending $100+ on a new muffler.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info, but I am looking for 18" body. I have seen a lot about 14" body units, I know they fit, but I want bigger/quieter..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got cha, I mis understood and thought it was total of 18" not body of 18" I will say there is still alot of room under the car where the muffler is and if you find the right shop they might be able to shoehorn the 18" in there. Also you said you wanted to do a 2nd muffler at the rear... Might I suggest waiting and doing just the oval. I did mine and to be honest its not Much louder than the V70R exhaust I had on before. I mean it has the Magnaflow "grunt" to it. but as far as drone and loudness its not much different. Then again I do still have a CAT and I'm sure the Y pipe and dual exhaust (extra distance to travel) help to dull the sound.

Also just a suggestion make sure they use GOOD pipe. I checked a few shops and they were using really thin pipe and I thought "thats going to create alot more resonance in the exhaust, its going to be like a giant pickle fork humming." This guy used a heavy guage pipe to do my exhaust. I can tap the pipes with a hammer and all I get is a THUNK vs Humming from the resonance. People don't usually think about that kind of stuff but this shop I went to showed me all that. He actually had an old Motorcycle motor set up with exhaust and showed me how identical mufflers with different kinds of pipes gave different sound and loudness.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed, piping makes a huge difference. This is far from the first car I modified, I have learned a lot about exhausts over the years. My Audi runs mid-upper 11's , and that exhaust is dual 2.5" with a total of FOUR Magnaflows that are all 18" long! Two 4" round X 18" long in the middle, and two 5x8x18 ovals at the rear. No cats, and an X pipe. Thing cruises in peace then screams like a tuned supercar @ 24 psi WOT.. Also used to have a very modded (twin GT28RS) 300ZX TT with a sick exhaust. Much louder, but great sound.. There was a lot of trial/error leading up to two great systems...

·
Registered
129 Posts
LOL thats kinda cool, I had 3 z31 300zx's shortly before going the volvo route. never really got into the newer 300zx's as they were such a PITA to work on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the Z was awesome & fast. I do miss it sometimes. But now having the Audi with AWD and awesome grip, I don't mis the ass getting squirrely in 3rd gear at highway speeds even in the dry..

Any chance you have a video of the 14" body Magnaflow? I don't have a cat tho, so your cat will make yours a bit quieter.

So anyone got an 18" body Magnaflow in there??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, that's a 14" body. I know 14" units fit. I need to know if 18" BODY units fit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally decided to jack up the car and take a better look for myself. I made some cardboard cutouts of the muffler sizes. It looks like an 18" body MIGHT fit, but would be on a wacky angle and take creative bends for the in/out.. Decided to just give in and get a 14" body for the stock location and the 18" long body at the rear.

If still too loud I can put a 4" or 5" round unit where the cat used to be..

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't think a 18" would work in there. Mine's (14") a very tight fit.

I would think you'll be OK noise-wise with the 2 mufflers.

If I were to do it again, I'd try first without a muffler in the first position (suitcase muffler) and see how loud it is, with just the rear muffler.

Note: I have 3" turbo-back

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to follow up on this. Had my exhaust installed yesterday (separate thread w/ pics/vids to follow) and the 18" will definitely not fit. I used an 18" at the rear, so we test fit that in the middle & no way. So the end result is a 4x9x14 body in the middle where the suitcase was, and a 4x9x18 at the rear. VERY happy, its VERY quiet. Seems to breathe much better. It's been raining off & on here, so I haven't had the chance to really test it. But very happy with the results.. I would not have needed the 18" in the middle even if it did fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts