SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Whats the best way to wash our cars? (Dharam66)

Owner's manual says to not run it through a mechanical car wash during the first year. The paint has to cure or something. Not knowing sh*t about cars, I take the owner's manual as Word -- including not washing it in bright sunlight.

I use Dawn liquid dish detergent and a soft cotton rag on the exterior. I spray a degreaser from Home Depot on the wheels -- gets all of that brake pad dust off and leaves them shining. Drying it with a chamois cloth leaves it spot-free.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: Whats the best way to wash our cars? (jev7266)

Quote, originally posted by jev7266 »

I use Dawn liquid dish detergent.

not a good idea, unless you are looking to remove old layers of wax because you are going to reapply immediately. I am sure your paint loves you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: (FBplaya0085)

You should NEVER go to a drive through carwash. First, they don't do a very good job and second, the the rails on the tracks that guide you through will scratch the wheels. I don't recommend washing at home either. Depending on where you live, hard water from the garden hose will leave water spots no matter how much you chamois the car. Best suggestion is the DIY carwash that has "spot-Free" water for the final rinse. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Re: (cmy4x4)

Quote, originally posted by cmy4x4 »
You should NEVER go to a drive through carwash. First, they don't do a very good job and second, the the rails on the tracks that guide you through will scratch the wheels. I don't recommend washing at home either. Depending on where you live, hard water from the garden hose will leave water spots no matter how much you chamois the car. Best suggestion is the DIY carwash that has "spot-Free" water for the final rinse. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I have some issues with those DIY carwash places - they might have spot free water but they also typically re-cycle their water which sometimes means you're damaging your paint with particles from other vehicles that were not properly filtered out.

UKMatt

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Here's some actual advice on washing your car:
Start out with a small bucket of soap and some kind of rag or mitt. Wash the lower panels of the car first and then do the wheels.
Next get a fresh bucket of soapy water and do the rest of the car with a different mitt that isn't used on the wheels. Rinse and dry top to bottom. If you follow this you'll be in good shape. And detergent isn't so great for normal washing. Try an auto soap because they're usually milder. But as said above, right before waxing you can use detergent to get of the old wax.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

This thread belongs in Swedespeed's Detailing Forum...

Tom.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: (Marcus)

Quote, originally posted by Marcus »
Anti Swirls!

what is the best way to fix up Swirls ?!
I don't dry my car after washing so then it already avoid friction from cloth to paint.. but i still get swirls from using sponge
I wax the car whenever I have time.. but swirls are still visible

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: (Big Will)

Quote, originally posted by Big Will »
.. And detergent isn't so great for normal washing. Try an auto soap because they're usually milder.

As was said above, use dish detergents *only* if you want to get rid of old wax. Dishwashing liquids have emulsifiers to break down grease... this will also get rid of your wax.

There are a lot of soaps that are specifically made to wash your car, you really should get a product that is designed for cars and their specialized paints.

You can also buy -in large quantities- the same products used in detailing shops.

http://www.gliptone.com/prod/sds.asp
http://www.gliptone.com/prod/brush.asp

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The best way to fix up swirls is with a swirl remover: a light compounding polish. Do it by hand if they're just light by following directions on the bottle. I like malco products for this but many bodyshops use 3M-they're just more difficult to use by hand.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Re: (makonyy15)

I like that Mr. Clean Auto-dry thing. Even if you don't like their soap, you can use your preferred soap and then just wash the car off with the Mr. Clean thing. It really does come out spotless. After that, wax the car and the car will look fantastic.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: (eurotrash)

Quote, originally posted by eurotrash »
I like that Mr. Clean Auto-dry thing. Even if you don't like their soap, you can use your preferred soap and then just wash the car off with the Mr. Clean thing. It really does come out spotless. After that, wax the car and the car will look fantastic.

+1

I have washed my car every Saturday since I bout it 11 months ago and have always used the Mr. Clean. It is very easy to use and works as advertised.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

The way I do it:
2 buckets
Meguiar Sponge (it'll go through the emblems without ripping the sponge) and a couple of other sponges
Meguiar Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner
Sonus RimBright for the wheels (better for wheel finish)
The Absorber Chamois
Meguiar Quik Detailer
MrClean Autodry.

I wash the wheels and the body kit first using the other sponge. Then the body using Meguiar Sponge, top to bottom. Then I sprayed the "dry mode" part of Mr.Clean (filtered water), then dry them using the Absorber. Finish off with the Quik Detailer.

Usually takes 1-2 hours alone throughout the whole process, from hosing down to drying the little details (door jambs etc). Now that's with a silver car
. The Black R, .... that's another story.

Interior also another story..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts