SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a new Volvo in my family and was wondering what is the best OBD 2 scanner to diagnose Volvo problems?

I am not looking for a generic OBD 2 scanner that read and clear check engine fault codes.

Instead need something to diangose modules such as Abs, Airbag, transmission and other modules that would normally requrie one to take the car to the dealer.

Ideally something in the $100 - $200 range, if such Volvo scanner is even possible.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Of course, Vida/dice with a proper laptop is your best option.

BUT, the iCarSoft Volvo/Saab Specific scan tool is the best OBDII scanner that you can buy. It can do some mild data logging and can pinpoint ABS faults, clear SRS warnings, etc. It usually costs about $90-100 on Amazon. I actually bought mine for $90 through Walmart's website for the (local) hassle-free return if it didn't work as described. But it has been the most useful tool I have owned and is easily stored in the glove box. While Volvo and Saab specific, some of their models can also read/clear basic OBDII codes on other brand vehicles as well.

I also bought the iCarSoft Porsche handheld, which has not disappointed yet. It's one of the only devices that allows you reset certain parameters in Porsches that only dealer subscription software can access. So further proof that iCarSoft knows how to make a proper OBDII scan tool.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I personally use Hyper Tough (HT200) from Walmart, (scanner is actually autels but branded differently) they JUST released the app to operate for 32 bit arch and upon using their app HT200 you get one free download of any make and it kinda goes in depth. I cam show screenshots or something if you'd like, but you can clear and reset codes, read live data, mode 6, all the good stuff... Not Volvo specific but still pretty decent for being around $55-$56 after tax here in texas

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am using the Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app on an Android smartphone (or iPhone). This app shows cca. 130-150 Volvo-specific parameters in modern Volvos (much less in the newest SPA cars, though). Great for monitoring the car when driving (engine, transmission, battery, oil level in VEA engine, etc.)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A lot of the scanners you guys recommended here are just basic OBD2 scanners. For example, @Peter1234 Car Scanner is just an ELM327 adapter. All it can do is read and clear check engine light and view live data that is accessible via the engine control module. This can be done with any ELM327 bluetooth adapter and torque app.
Volvos have gotten very sophisticated these days, and the scanners you mention here can't help you with abs, airbag, transmission, and other systems.

You would need a multi-system scanner to really diagnose a Volvo. There is a good article that covers the pros and cons of various Volvo multi-system scanners. Take a look at this article and you make the call.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have the Icarsoft Vol II and VIDA. VIDA has a lot more capability but is a little finicky to use. For easy stuff I use the Icarsoft. I can get all my stuff done with the Icarsoft and VIDA is still loading, lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also recommend VIDA 2014D - if it can read your vehicle. New SPA-platform requires expensive online subscription, so these hand-held tools for $150-$400 mentioned above will come in handy.

Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app reads quite a few sensors for being a free app, definitely more than Torque. Can be useful just for viewing live data on iOS or Android.
083046.jpg

073004.jpg

083020.jpg

120226.png 082930.jpg 082949.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts