SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats more reliable between the V8, 3.2, or T6? And fuel efficient? I want to buy one used at a Volvo Dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my 07 3.2 has been super reliable so far. mpg wise i dont mind it at all. getting a combined 26mpg consistently

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 3.2 will likely get better gas mileage. Reliability will be similar however all things being equal the naturally aspirated, front wheel drive S80s have less to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
After nearly 4k miles with the V8 I've gotten about 26-27 MPG normal highroad driving (best I've achieved is 32 MPG, cruising around 70-85 km/h on an empty back road). Combined average is about 20 MPG while my best combined so far was about 22. I've yet to drop below 18.

Edit: While I've never driven a 3.2, I would overall claim that for any of these three engines the main factor is the driver. I've driven both the 304 hp T6 and the V8 a lot and I'd dare say the same goes for the 3.2: they're all pretty inviting to put your foot down since they make some really good noises. Though if I had the money today, I'd probably rather get a 2011-2012 T6 over a 2010 V8 (last year for the V8). Reasons: a) T6 has a sports mode and for some reason better transmission software (my S80 2007 seems to have bad days where it shifts hesitantly. In my T6 experience the downshifts are fast, lock-up is instant and power delivery is quick whereas hesitant too on my 2007 S80). The 2011 T6's were updated with lowered internal friction => better fuel economy and they also got a performance bump, 400-440 Nm and 285->304 hp (can be polestared to 315/329 hp respectively but apparently more worth it on the 285 hp one due to its torque curves).

As MPAvictoria says, a FWD car is better. No haldex to fail and some weight savings from not having the haldex unit, propshaft to the rear etc. AWD's nice but for most people it's not as much of a necessity as many like to make it out to be. In a lot of cases I'd attribute more gains to having appropriate and good tires rather than AWD even though it does have some indisputable advantages in some situations (though not really situations you're frequently in, and I say that living a mere 60 miles south of the arctic circle).

Overall: There are very few situations for which you need AWD. If I were you I would simply look out for any 3.2/T6/V8 and pick a well equipped one. T6's and V8's in general have an advantage there as they were sold as more of flagship models and typically have nearly all the optional extras whereas finding an equally well spec'd 3.2 might be trickier. Not sure how all that would reflect on pricing, even less so in north america.

Edit again: sorry for the rant, I got carried away. I'd say get a V8 or T6 if you can afford it. T6's are better in fuel economy but if you're in to cars then you probably wont mind the extra gas money for a V8. But overall, I would prefer a well equipped 3.2 over a poorly equipped V8. Reliability wise, early model years are usually more prone to have issues. MY08 got the new AWD version, haldex gen IV whereas MY07 has gen III which I think is enough reason to get a 2008 or newer model. I've heard many more gen III failure stories than gen IV ones.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Sensus graph display on our S80 says long term fuel consumption has been around 29 miles per gallon. A Toronto friend who has spent a lot of time commuting on their congested roads told me that he does fine with FWD vehicles and does not think AWD is really needed there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
All else being equal, the most reliable used car is likely to be the one with the fewest moving parts and the most mature owner demographic. So 3.2, obviously. That was my choice, and I'm really happy with it.

That said, fans of the T6 and V8 will tell you that both are highly reliable too. If you like performance and can determine the vehicle's ownership & maintenance history, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of these models.

One issue you will read about is oil consumption issues on the 3.2 and T6. Take this with a grain of salt. In an article about oil-burning cars Consumer Reports indicated that the percentage of affected Volvo owners was extremely low, and the S80 was not even mentioned specifically. It's the Kim Kardashian of car problems, getting way more attention than it deserves.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
It's the Kim Kardashian of car problems, getting way more attention than it deserves.
:D
I have a 2011 T6 and I don't see a sport mode. If there is one, do you know how to activate it?
I'm not sure what style gear shift lever the MY11s have but move the lever to the side, either right or left from Drive. S should appear instead of D on your dash. It'll rev a bit higher, use lower gears and be overall a bit more bonkers.

·
3,391 Posts
I've driven S80s with all 3 engines. Obviously, the 3.2 is slower, but still perfectly adequate. The T6 and V8 feel just about the same. They all get marginally similar gas mileage from what I've personally observed. My theory on this is that the less powerful engines have to work harder, so you end up giving the car a bit more gas to accelerate at the same rate.

I can't speak for the reliability of the 3.2 or T6, though I personally don't know anybody who has had a major problem with either. My mother has an XC60 T6 and is approaching 100k miles without a single issue. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased, but I'm a huge huge fan of the V8s. I'm extremely happy with the reliability I've experienced with my V8 Volvos. They're the best cars I've ever owned. I'm continually impressed by the gas mileage, too.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If I shift the lever right, I get the Manuamatic shift mode where I can change gears. Is this also a sport mode?
Inside of the screen of the tach (RPM-dial) there's a letter indicating where your gear lever is, P/R/N/D. If your car has sport mode, which I believe all T6's have, moving the lever from D to, in your case, right the letter should change to S indicating sport mode is selected. If it doesn't say S but instead the gear which you're in, you don't have sport mode. If you do have sports mode, shifting manually will take you out of sport mode and into just plain manual.

·
Registered
288 Posts
They all get marginally similar gas mileage from what I've personally observed. My theory on this is that the less powerful engines have to work harder, so you end up giving the car a bit more gas to accelerate at the same rate.
+1 All an engine upgrade really gives you is the option of using your right foot to convert more fuel into energy. Leave those extra horses alone and you shouldn't notice much difference.

One nice thing about all of these engines is that their real-world MPG is pretty decent for a 3,800 pound car with so much power. My daughter's Hyundai Elantra is rated an astounding 58 imperial MPG on the highway, but in real-world mixed driving it doesn't do much better than my S80.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts