SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed my emission test, The exhaust place replaced it for free, but they said it would be a 1 time thing. I'm not getting any mis-fire codes, the very very odd rough idle, upon start up.

Car is a 2000 c70 LPT. Plugs are a year old. I'm thinking of replacing all the coils with the IPD HD ones.

Pictures can be found here... http://imageshack.us/g/718/img7737i.jpg/

Thanks

shaun.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Most catalytic converters fail when leftover fuel that hasn't been burned up enters the mesh and ignites. If you have been running rich for a long period of time or generally do a lot of racing/flooring it then this can happen. It looks like parts of it are melted.

If your old one was clogged/melted it would also affect performance since it's basically a huge blockage in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most catalytic converters fail when leftover fuel that hasn't been burned up enters the mesh and ignites. If you have been running rich for a long period of time or generally do a lot of racing/flooring it then this can happen. It looks like parts of it are melted.

If your old one was clogged/melted it would also affect performance since it's basically a huge blockage in the exhaust system.
Yeah, I figured it was the unburnt fuel going there. I hope if I get the IPD HD coils it will ignite all the fuel in the cylinder. Hopefully preventing this from happening. As for driving style. I've got an V70r as well, so that sees the spirited driving. This car just get some easy cruising. The pics are of the old one, after it was replaced... I get my emission test in a year, so I'll be keeping my eye on it at that time.

Is it misfiring? Throwing codes?
It gets rear 02 sensor code, since day 1 after getting the exhaust put on. Other then that, the dash stays dark....

Shaun

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you have a turbo bearing go out I think it will send oil into the cat and cause a lot of internal heat burning even though the exhaust looks okay when hot, it would still be a smoker upon start up.

Just a comment from the peanut gallery,

P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts