SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having thoughts of just getting an extended aftermarket warranty on the R just for added piece of mind in case something huge like an angle gear, slave cylinder, or a huge repair bill comes up. What are your thoughts on this guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
You may find that for an old R the cost for any plan that will cover the serious stuff like clutch and AWD system will be high enough that you would just be better off keeping that money in a savings account for when you need it, or saving all together if you don't.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Route 66 Warranty. Not only have they covered all the claims our shop has submitted. One claim last week wasn't worded correctly so the adviser on the phone instructed us to word it this way and it would be covered. Here is their homepage. Other than Carmax, this is the best one we have to deal with. Way too many of these warranty companies never cover ANYTHING. https://www.route66warranty.com/asp/index.asp

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I would personally keep your money and use it as needed when something requires repair. Sure there are a lot of unknowns with these caRs, but with an '06 I would expect you are unlikely to have major issues. Knock on wood, but my '07 has 140k with the last 15k+ having the Cavalli turbo installed. I'm the original owner so I've taken great care of the car. All in all, the only non-maintenance items that have gone bad are the DEM (replaced under factory warranty), radiator (replaced under factory warranty), MAF (~$100, likely due to K&N filter oil), propshaft (~$600), and the trunk latch wire harness (~$150). I replaced the clutch just prior to the turbo upgrade, but the old clutch had plenty of life left. Otherwise, for me it's been the usual stuff: timing belt/pulleys, water pump (preventative while doing timing belt), struts, bushings, ball joints, wheel bearing, tie rod end, engine mounts, swaybar end links, brake pads/rotors, tires, filters, fluids. I also had a halfshaft replaced under warranty, but it appeared to have sucked up a garbage bag which wrapped tight enough around the boot to sever it. Aside from replacing some bent OEM wheels thanks to wonderful MI roads, everything else I've done has been performance related (tune, exhaust, sway bars, shimmed the block, turbo upgrade, injector upgrade, FMIC, meth injection, clutch/flywheel). I also replaced the collar sleeve with the upgraded one from PDV when I did the clutch only as a preventative measure in prep for the turbo - OEM sleeve looked fine. So, looking back, an extended warranty wouldn't have done much of anything for me as it does not cover wear/tear items. That's my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts