SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm trying to talk my father into a very pretty '98 Coupe that's currently offered on e*ay.

See it here: http://tinyurl.com/9kc3rn7

I've looked up the book values on this car, both nadaguides.com and kbb.com, and they peg its clean retail between $4,750 and $6,400. Asking price (they're open to offers) is just shy of $9k.

I paid over book for my '00 HPT 5M when I bought it in '06 because it was super clean, ultra-low mileage and just what I was looking for. I'm wondering what you feel this silver car's actually worth, and what might be a fair offer, considering its virtues.

If he gets it, I may have to swap a few parts when Dad's not looking... ;)

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I'd sure as heck want a lot more than one picture if I'm going to pay $3k over high book for it. It better be flawless. Otherwise the book values you listed are what I'd expect to pay.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Oh, hehe. I think my work pc blocked it or something, it never loaded the pics when I was looking earlier. That is a very, very nice car so it definitely is worth more than book in my opinion. But I'd probably pay $7500 max, not 9.

On the other hand, if you already have wheels you like, you can immediately sell those tritons for close to a grand, they look mint.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Everything that that dealer has is overpriced.

Ask for service records/history. I'm willing to bet you that it'll need $1500 of work right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
europa sometimes have decent cars. I would check the car over first before buying but you are 400-500 miles away. Dont know how serious you are about this car, but i can be a set of eyes and ears on saturday oct 6. PM me if you need the help.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
These go for peanuts in the U.K. Even in that condition it'd be less than £2000.
Very pertinent info. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Same reason why old american iron is cheap here but gold there. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Try not to pay more than 7 unless you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE IT.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm willing to bet you that it'll need $1500 of work right off the bat.
On a 98

$1500 can buy you
<table id="cart-detail"><tbody id="line_items"><tr class=""><td data-hook="cart_item_description">Volvo Timing Belt Kit and Water Pump Kit - Genuine Volvo TBKIT252WP-OE

</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_price"> $489.88 </td> <td data-hook="cart_item_quantity"> <input class="line_item_quantity" id="order_line_items_attributes_0_quantity" name="order[line_items_attributes][0][quantity]" size="1" value="1" type="text"> Remove Update </td> <td class="right-cap" data-hook="cart_item_total"> $489.88 </td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="left-cap" data-hook="cart_item_image">
</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_description"> Volvo Tune Up Kit (Turbo) OEM VOLTUNEUPKIT2

</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_price"> $184.95 </td> <td data-hook="cart_item_quantity"> <input class="line_item_quantity" id="order_line_items_attributes_1_quantity" name="order[line_items_attributes][1][quantity]" size="1" value="1" type="text"> Remove Update </td> <td class="right-cap" data-hook="cart_item_total"> $184.95 </td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td class="left-cap" data-hook="cart_item_image">
</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_description"> Volvo Brake Kit (ATE Rotors and Pads) 288MMBK4-ATE

</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_price"> $293.25 </td> <td data-hook="cart_item_quantity"> <input class="line_item_quantity" id="order_line_items_attributes_2_quantity" name="order[line_items_attributes][2][quantity]" size="1" value="1" type="text"> Remove Update </td> <td class="right-cap" data-hook="cart_item_total"> $293.25 </td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="left-cap" data-hook="cart_item_image">
</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_description"> Volvo PCV Breather System Kit (850 C70 S70 V70 Turbo) 850T200

</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_price"> $146.95 </td> <td data-hook="cart_item_quantity"> <input class="line_item_quantity" id="order_line_items_attributes_3_quantity" name="order[line_items_attributes][3][quantity]" size="1" value="1" type="text"> Remove Update </td> <td class="right-cap" data-hook="cart_item_total"> $146.95 </td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td class="left-cap" data-hook="cart_item_image">
</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_description"> Volvo Front Strut Kit (Struts, Mounts, Spring Seats) OEM - Sachs VFSK3-OEM

</td> <td data-hook="cart_item_price"> $319.95 </td> <td data-hook="cart_item_quantity"> <input class="line_item_quantity" id="order_line_items_attributes_4_quantity" name="order[line_items_attributes][4][quantity]" size="1" value="1" type="text"> Remove Update </td> <td class="right-cap" data-hook="cart_item_total"> $319.95</td></tr></tbody></table>Total $1,434.98

Front suspension, PCV system, Ignition/timing system, water pump t/b service, and brakes all around.
I would add to this list coolant flush, ECT sensor and thermostat service.

Thats if it needs all this stuff.

I would guess from the photos the brakes are fine.....and since i can, I ran a carfax for you Looks like its a florida car that was for a snow bird, with a well documented service history..

So your bet of $1500 of work right off the bat, might be wrong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts