SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this as R related as possible, but I've just got to vent to fellow enthusiasts. It takes a heck of a lot to make me angry, but my R is my baby and any of my friends know that the one thing you do not mess with is my car.

I was driving in a line of 3-4 cars, nobody behind me, approaching a crosswalk. A girl was just standing at the crosswalk with a sour look on her face, but I noticed as each car passed in front of me, her arm would move. As I passed (before I could put 2 and 2 together), I saw her throw a small rock, which bounced off my windshield. Luckily, I don't think there's any damage.

I immediately slammed on my brakes (thank you Brembo) and came to a screeching halt, pulled over, and got out, and yelled something like "excuse me ma'am, you just threw a rock at my car." She just gave me a look from across the street like I was at fault and jogged off, no apology, no answer. I had to get back in my car before I did something stupid.

I considered calling the police, but figured they'd have better things to do, and with no witness, she could always say she was in the crosswalk (which she was not) and I might get a $200 ticket.

What would you have done?

/rant

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wow.... I am not one to get mad easily. But I honestly have no idea what I would have done. I think I would be in shock. I have thought about getting a dash camera to have running whenever I'm driving so then if something ever happens I have evidence.

One thing I always remember is, people are crazy!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I'll try to keep this as R related as possible, but I've just got to vent to fellow enthusiasts. It takes a heck of a lot to make me angry, but my R is my baby and any of my friends know that the one thing you do not mess with is my car.

I was driving in a line of 3-4 cars, nobody behind me, approaching a crosswalk. A girl was just standing at the crosswalk with a sour look on her face, but I noticed as each car passed in front of me, her arm would move. As I passed (before I could put 2 and 2 together), I saw her throw a small rock, which bounced off my windshield. Luckily, I don't think there's any damage.

I immediately slammed on my brakes (thank you Brembo) and came to a screeching halt, pulled over, and got out, and yelled something like "excuse me ma'am, you just threw a rock at my car." She just gave me a look from across the street like I was at fault and jogged off, no apology, no answer. I had to get back in my car before I did something stupid.

I considered calling the police, but figured they'd have better things to do, and with no witness, she could always say she was in the crosswalk (which she was not) and I might get a $200 ticket.

What would you have done?

/rant
I had some kid intentionally throw a volleyball at my car twice which I shrugged off because I'm a Customer Service Supervisor and patience is virtue but when the ball was drop kicked in the direction of my car and slammed down on my roof the kid went down as fast as the ball did..../end story.

I would have done exactly the same thing, and yes THANK YOU BREMBO, I have done a few tests to confirm that you can accomplish from 50 to 0 in about 20 feet. It comes in handy and makes kids that flip you off on their bicycles scared $hitless.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I think you handled it the best way you could. It would make me mad as hell too, but your hands are tied unless you were lucky enough to have a cop see it. And even then that probably would not have done any good. You handled it smartly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow.... I am not one to get mad easily. But I honestly have no idea what I would have done. I think I would be in shock. I have thought about getting a dash camera to have running whenever I'm driving so then if something ever happens I have evidence.

One thing I always remember is, people are crazy!
I run a dash cam.

What happened to my old car. Skip to the 3 min mark if you want to skip the music

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I run a dash cam.

What happened to my old car. Skip to the 3 min mark if you want to skip the music

Somebody call the Brinks truck
The boss back, somebody call the Brinks truck

RICKY ROZAY!

Dude that blows though

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I run a dash cam.

Ouch! Sorry to see this. But what model dash cam is that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is a Canon G12. I had bought a Go Pro, but returned it because I got this camera as a gift (like to take pictures). Then I used my headrest to put the camera in for a couple months, and then bought a suction cup window mount (PanVise 809) from Amazon.

You can buy a cheap point and shoot camera that records in 720/1080p and use the sunroof as a mount. But you have to angle it so it doesn't point at the rearview mirror. I didn't have a sunroof in that car, so I put it on the windshield.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well, there is what I would like to have done in that situation, and what I actually would have done. Odds are the MOST I actually would have done is what you did, though it would have been incredably more profane due to the frustration of such a random senseless act against me. Her defiance about her cnnt (<= flip the second letter upside down) like actions are infuriating and would have stuck with me for a while. I'd love to know what this girl was thinking, it makes no sense.

Its sad, over the two decades I've been driving I've noticed a marked change in pedestrian behavior, towards the passive/agressive to downright beligerant attitudewise. One recent example is when I was driving down a 4 lane road that was nearly empty, except a guy who was leisurely crossing the street, diagonally, coming towards me as I approached, with zero regard for the fact that I had to hit my brakes in order to not run him over. When I gave him a honk, he flips me off. A pack of wolves would raise someone with a clearer concept of what living in society entails. When I was a kid, most pedestrians made the connection between two tons of steel moving rapidly and massive bodily injury. Nowadays though people strut across the street, daring you to hit them... Wonder what it will be like in another 20 years. I'm still the guy who waits for traffic to clear before crossing, and is quick about it, especially if a motorist waves me through.

And then there are the bad drivers... ugh

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I run a dash cam.

WOW!! That's almost exactly how my S60 T5 died last year. Only it was the middle of the summer and I came to a dead stop in the fast last. My T5 came off the ground and was thrown forward into the car about 6-8 feet in front of me. It was a sad moment as I was the original owner. :facepalm: But, it was the perfect excuse to buy an R. :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I run a dash cam.

WOW!! That's almost exactly how my S60 T5 died last year. Only it was the middle of the summer and I came to a full stop in the fast last. My T5 came off the ground and was thrown forward into the car about 6-8 feet in front of me. It was a sad moment as I was the only owner. :facepalm: But, it was the perfect excuse to buy an R. :D

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
If someone threw a rock at my R....

The R has a big trunk... all I'm going to say.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry to hear about that happen to your car....

I have tried that with my convertible, but that was several small rocks..... my buddy I was going down a 2 lane road in my convertible, my buddy was driving because I have a headache the size of mount rushmore.....
5 20-25 year old guys stood at the intersection and just as we passed one of them threw several rocks at my car.... see my buddy's temper is NO joke... it is worse than mine and that saids something.... he slammed the brakes, put it in reverse and let loose.... all 5 guys ran and in over a parking lot and we caught them easily.... see the nice part is that we where very close to get into a fight, but before all that the cops came...
The sweet thing was that they had already receive two complaints from other commuters about their stone throwing. I yelled at one of the guys and call him an asshole and asked why he did it... the answer "F-ing cracker (not sure what that means, I am from Denmark) and all your money" Baltimore sure is a classy place.

I was lucky enough that I really could not find any stone chips on my car, so they took the one guy to the station and that was it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
WOW!! That's almost exactly how my S60 T5 died last year. Only it was the middle of the summer and I came to a full stop in the fast last. My T5 came off the ground and was thrown forward into the car about 6-8 feet in front of me. It was a sad moment as I was the only owner. :facepalm: But, it was the perfect excuse to buy an R. :D
How fast were you hit? He said he was going 60-70mph before he saw me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I carry my XD.45 between the center console and the passenger seat in a holster. Rock + my car= gun removed from holster.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
When I was a kid, most pedestrians made the connection between two tons of steel moving rapidly and massive bodily injury. Nowadays though people strut across the street, daring you to hit them... Wonder what it will be like in another 20 years.

This is what happens when trial lawyers run the justice system!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The sweet thing was that they had already receive two complaints from other commuters about their stone throwing. I yelled at one of the guys and call him an asshole and asked why he did it... the answer "F-ing cracker (not sure what that means, I am from Denmark) and all your money" Baltimore sure is a classy place.

I was lucky enough that I really could not find any stone chips on my car, so they took the one guy to the station and that was it.

Racial slur. Now that I see you were in Baltimore, I understand better what happened. Just think about all the riots in Paris 2 years ago and the looting in London last year & that's basically what you experienced...but on a much smaller scale.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I'd say you did right, make a point to scare them but don't over react.

Just the other day I had a dip**** teenager jump into the opposite lane and throw his arms up screaming "Wha!!!" as I drove by, threw a tennis ball. I checked the rear view and then hit the brakes, quick u turn and some WOT put me right behind them as the 2-3 shift occurred, CBV vented and nice POP in the exhaust note, apparently loud enough to make the whole crew of 3 jump off the side of the road into the grass. I just laughed and took a small detour home.

I think it's important not to lose your cool, be the bigger person and make sure you don't stoop to their level. Just jealous they don't have a nice ass Volvo and have to walk everywhere IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts