SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I were talking about our cars and the conversation eventually led to the idea of what was next. He didn't hesitate to say that his next car would be an F-150, as he's a Ranger Owner, but I was completely clueless.

Though i've only owned my SR for a few months, there are very few cars out there that fit what I desire. I don't ever see myself owning a BMW, (newer) Audi, and definitely not a Benz. Furthermore, I've come to the conclusion that I like niche cars that aren't a dime a dozen on the road.

Naturally, the logical thing to do would be to purchase a new R-Design, but they don't make it in a stick. The only thing that I could come up with that was somewhat similar would be a Saab 9-3 TurboX - something I wouldn't want to mess with given Saab's status.

That being said, if for some reason you had to replace your R, what would you consider?

·
6,436 Posts
I'm going to own my R for a few more years, but once done here's my list:

1. Hopefully a new true VR with a MT (Wishful Thinking)
2. Volvo XC60 R-Design (hopefully by then there'll be a new model)
3. Mercedes E350 Wagon
4. Some sort of a diesel-sipping car for the wifey

·
Registered
136 Posts
Cadillac CTS-V. done or the new ATS or an S5

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Going to try and keep my R a few more years. Although repair bills are starting to rack up even after fixing a bunch of stuff, found out my Haldex rear diff is leaking.

1. Volvo XC60 R-Design (not really to replace, but to be my DD along with family hauling).
2. Volvo S60 R Polestar (if it ever comes) or an Audi A4/S4(if budget allows, damn those things keep their value)
3. Used 2006-2009 Mercedes CLS550 or 2006 CLS55 AMG (one year only!)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
GTR w/Alpha 9/10 Package... I know I am dreaming :p

·
Registered
236 Posts
Volvo S80T6 or V8 because I hope to be already an old guy when it needs to be replaced....
BMW1M if i'm not old when I have to replace it

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Prefer: S4 Cab with an M6, 996 Cab with an M6 (hopefully AWD, but no biggie of not),

Or if I realize the fam needs more room: then possibly an AWD S80, XC90 V8, XC70 T6, A6 3.0T, or A8. Outside chance for a Wrangler Unlimited M6.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would love to get another Volvo someday. Every time I'm at the dealer, the sales guys are on me *right now* asking if I'm ready to trade her in. I keep telling them that they don't have anything to sell me though.

Maybe a Cadillac CTS-V wagon.
I wouldn't mind one of the V50 wagons with the diesel up front and the electric motor in the back. That could be an interesting daily driver.

I would like to see Volvo start moving into the diesel car niche in America. I don't think they will take the risk. Things are looking bleak. Last week the Wall Street Journal had an editor wonder why they don't just pull completely out of the North American market.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is what I ended up with last month. The inly thing I miss is the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Perhaps no more new Volvo. Drove the new S60, V70 R-design, c30 etc... After having an R they are sooo boring. Perhaps i would go for an used RS4, RS6 would be a beast. V10 Turbo.. :D

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'd trade it in this second for an older RS4 if they weren't so insanely expensive...

But I love the R, I think I'd change my mind when it came time to hand over the keys

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Perhaps i would go for an used RS4, RS6 would be a beast. V10 Turbo.. :D
I'd trade it in this second for an older RS4 if they weren't so insanely expensive...
If only those B7 motors were a bit more reliable, I would consider it. Opting for an RS4 would be like asking for a higher maintenance to run than an R.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
CTS-V Wagon

·
Registered
635 Posts
The only thing i'd consider is a CTS-V Wagon like ^^^^^. I think it's something in the water here in Texas. I bought an old BMW E30 last week, the R is probably the newest car i'll own for the next 10yrs or so. Back to when they overbuilt cars, like this E30 :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Something that has a plug and play stand alone ECU available. Probably a turbo Vette with the new AEM Infinity.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If only those B7 motors were a bit more reliable, I would consider it. Opting for an RS4 would be like asking for a higher maintenance to run than an R.
Except the suspension components aren't as complicated and the AWD is stronger...

It's a trade off, trade suspension/drivetrain reliability for engine reliability.

If you want reliability you can always buy a Honda :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
1. Lotus Elise and keep R for winter and get mean snow tires.

2. New taurus SHO if they make it a little smaller and faster. Or MKS ecoboost

3. M5 or an AMG Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts