SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
. Competent handling at speeds in excess of 150 mph is an actual engineering design consideration on their average "family" sedans.

They do have a tendency to needlessly over complicate things in the engine bay though. Lots of single components that serve multiple functions. On the Audi B5 platform, I did think it was pretty clever that they use the front structural tube of the front subframe as a boost delivery pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. That area can get pretty cramped on a turbo car.
I agree they do an excellent job at considering speeds well in excess of what any normal driver would drive at 99.9% in a sedan.
As for the B5 platform, ask anyone who owned a B5 S4 how “clever” it was of Audi to wedge in a V8 backwards when it came time do front side work on the engine. When it came time to perform the major service (T-belt, water pump, guides, ...) most owners saw the cost and threw the car away figuratively speaking.

My other car is a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo. The book time for a clutch replacement is almost 24 hours. The phrase "needlessly complex" has been true of German cars for at least 3 decades. It ain't new. =P
While true, it used to only be two maybe three things. Now it’s damn near everything. Porsche for instance routes pipes and lines THROUGH components via relief cuts in the component rather than design it correctly so there’s no interference in the design or make additional allowance for space.

BMW, you cannot visually check your oil level. There is no dipstick and dip tube on their new engines! The owner has to rely on a sensor (great more sensors to fail or send error codes) and a display function buried in an idrive submenu to determine oil life and level.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
"BMW, you cannot visually check your oil level. There is no dipstick and dip tube on their new engines! The owner has to rely on a sensor (great more sensors to fail or send error codes) and a display function buried in an idrive submenu to determine oil life and level."

So just exactly like newer Volvo's then?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
"BMW, you cannot visually check your oil level. There is no dipstick and dip tube on their new engines! The owner has to rely on a sensor (great more sensors to fail or send error codes) and a display function buried in an idrive submenu to determine oil life and level."

So just exactly like newer Volvo's then?
I never implied the "new" Volvo was excluded from drinking the same glass of stupid juice as the others.

In fact, I've been critical of both the complexity of Drive-E 4 cylinder engines and using an undersized, highly stressed motor as the power plant for a heavy 7 passenger vehicle (XC90).

It's a recipe for expensive maintenance, repairs and questionable long term durability.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Volvo Concept Coup, but since that's not happening probably the S60 T8. The Audi A5 is a very close second if only it wasn't a VW.
The Polestar 1 is basically the Concept Coupe. That’s what it’s design was based off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think my next car if I left Volvo would be a Mercedes GLC. Mercedes seems to be the only other brand dedicated to safety like Volvo and I love their interiors.

·
Registered
373 Posts
After I mile out my V60 rdesign I’ll be done with Volvo for myself anyways. We also have a new XC60 that the wife drives. I’ll be moving back to audi for a wagon or onto Mercedes for a C class wagon with the AMG treatment. I’m not a fan of the 4 cylinder engines in the new volvos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Indeed MB interiors are classy and tasteful. You do feel like you're in a luxury car. Volvo is not there yet. I'd put my money on a CPO Mercedes rather than a Volvo.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Competing head to head in all segments is what kills smaller car companies... Volvo does Volvo pretty darn well. That being said, I'd be down with a CMA convertible for some entry luxury fun. I believe Volvo and Saab are still the only companies to make a convertible with top safety pick from IIHS.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Indeed MB interiors are classy and tasteful. You do feel like you're in a luxury car. Volvo is not there yet. I'd put my money on a CPO Mercedes rather than a Volvo.

Different strokes. I test drove the GLC back to back with the XC60 and prefer the XC60's interior. The Mercedes was overly busy and I felt the Volvo's interior was more tasteful. But the GLC was a really nice car!

·
Registered
526 Posts

I love the GLC but I would say the interior quality in Volvo’s is better than Mercedes. I drove a 2018 C-Class for almost a month and noticed the materials weren’t as good as in my older 2016 S60. I even noticed the lower door cards in the Mercedes were made of hard plastic. Whereas, all 4 doors in my volvo are soft touch. It’s not a big deal and nothing that would detract me from the brand but I would say Volvo is on the same level.

Where Volvo falls short is it’s engine. It doesn’t offer and 6 or 8 cylinder engines which I imagine causes it to lose sales.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Would seriously consider an Audi (lushing over the new 2020 RS6 Avant) but I probably would lose sleep over maintenance issues and cost.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm not sure what I'll be in the market for in a few years. Right now the rebuilt S60 T5 is still humming along with 113K and will be passed along to a family member soon.
Right now I've been driving around in our beater car, the 2010 Scion tC which has a 160 HP 2.2 engine that also burns about a quart every 1K.
I guess I might have to look at Lexus, Toyota, Acura or Honda. something that is more fuel efficient and doesn't burn oil. Tired of the dipstick, funnel and oil jug.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My CarGurus search history tell me that I am just a tad different than the rest of all you when it comes to what I'd replace my Volvo with:

Honda Accord Sport: 6-speed stick would be tempting, have read nothing but positive reviews about the 2.0T motor and overall driving dynamics
Buick Regal GS/Regal Tour-X Wagon: If GM had decided to put the V6 in the wagon I'd probably already own one
Toyota 4-Runner: The bulletproof nature of these really intrigues me, but man these things are ancient and obviously not nearly as tossable as a sedan
Chevy Camaro SS: The 6th gen Camaro platform is fantastic, I'd stay away from the ugly 2019 front fascia, probably more likely to sell my GTO and keep the Volvo if I grabbed one of these

I'm surprised at all the Audi responses here, though granted I've never driven one so maybe I'm missing out. I just associate Audi with super sketchy reliability and high cost of ownership. They also are fairly common in Northeast Ohio. One of the things I like most about my Volvo is how unique it is on the roads around here, I've owned my s60 for almost 5 years and I can't ever remember seeing an exact copy of it driving around. Though when it comes to Audi that RS3 or Avant wagon would be very tempting, albeit way out of my budget at this point!

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
I'm not sure what I'll be in the market for in a few years. Right now the rebuilt S60 T5 is still humming along with 113K and will be passed along to a family member soon.
Right now I've been driving around in our beater car, the 2010 Scion tC which has a 160 HP 2.2 engine that also burns about a quart every 1K.
I guess I might have to look at Lexus, Toyota, Acura or Honda. something that is more fuel efficient and doesn't burn oil. Tired of the dipstick, funnel and oil jug.
Toyotas had this same issue in the 90s. My beater (99 Corolla) pisses through oil every 150 miles. Course its sitting at around 210K and is 22 years old, but the problem started long ago and got worse.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My wife and I have a 2016 XC60 and a 2016 V60cc, both with the 5 cylinder engine. We bought them cause it was the last year for that engine. I thought very hard about buying a Porsche Macan but between the direct injection and transfer case problems and the fact we got 2 Volvos for the price of 1 Macan made the Volvo look even better.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My CarGurus search history tell me that I am just a tad different than the rest of all you when it comes to what I'd replace my Volvo with:

Honda Accord Sport: 6-speed stick would be tempting, have read nothing but positive reviews about the 2.0T motor and overall driving dynamics
Buick Regal GS/Regal Tour-X Wagon: If GM had decided to put the V6 in the wagon I'd probably already own one

Toyota 4-Runner: The bulletproof nature of these really intrigues me, but man these things are ancient and obviously not nearly as tossable as a sedan
Chevy Camaro SS: The 6th gen Camaro platform is fantastic, I'd stay away from the ugly 2019 front fascia, probably more likely to sell my GTO and keep the Volvo if I grabbed one of these
I seriously considered both the Accord Sport 6MT and TourX. What led me away from them were the size/form factor (I really wanted a wagon) and the lack of support from GM for the Regal.

Looking back, the Accord would've been more value in the sense of slightly higher cost, but more modern tech, and just more tech. The wagon but I wasn't willing to budge on, though.

Similar story with the TourX with the wagon factor. The tech is there and it's a new car. However, I was skeptical of GM's support, which is validated by reports of people waiting months for replacement body and mechanical parts for their Regals. Also, it's done after the 2020 model year. 3 model years and over. I would've loved the uniqueness of it, but that would've been a hassle. Also, the interior was just not as nice as I was expecting. A lot of hard plastic everywhere. And it's very big, at about 194". While the V60 is on the compact side, I find I appreciate its relative nimbleness over the "land cruiser" feel of the TourX.

Aside from the dream car RS6 Avant, I have no interest in an Audi (or MB or BMW). Honestly, if there were wagon versions of the Optima or Mazda 6 (as they have in Europe), I probably would've gotten one of those. Or a proper Legacy wagon, not the "it's really a CUV" Outback.

For the record, my folks had a mid-90s 760 wagon and I had a 2003 Passat wagon. So yeah, I like wagons.

·
Registered
664 Posts
We were lucky enough to get the 3.6L V6 in the Tour X wagon with AWD in Australia. I had one for a rental car last week. I've always been disappointed with that engine, whether in RWD (Commodore) or now AWD form, it feels completely gutless. Managed to give it a really good push a number of times and while it sounds okish, there is no drama and it feels about as fast as a corolla. Its probably not helped by the 9 speed auto which feels more like a CVT. Id say you will be more than happy with the 2.0T
Like most driving in Aus, the AWD system didn't present itself at all to either myself or my colleague. We thought it was FWD for all we knew, even though the Twinster system is RWD biased.
The interior is fantastic though. Comfy leather seats, great fit and finish, nice materials, roomy boot.
It is a lot bigger than the V60 though and you can feel it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Toyotas had this same issue in the 90s. My beater (99 Corolla) pisses through oil every 150 miles. Course its sitting at around 210K and is 22 years old, but the problem started long ago and got worse.
Yep, I had a 1999 Camry with a 4 cylinder motor that burned oil too. Probably a quart every tank. After the gas fill up I would add a quart of oil like clockwork every 500 miles, yours more extreme.
My Scion tC burns less and is a sportier ride with the Toyota Celica heritage. It's sort of like driving a VW Golf but has a weaker body. My wife tapped someone's back bumper and our Scion's front bumper is bent in half ! Not very reassuring accident-wise. Which makes our Volvos really shine. Some of the beaters I've had during my life make me appreciate my S60 but it's getting old and has 113K.

Back on the wagon front, I like the styling on VW's Golf Sportwagen and have thought of trading my S60 backwards to an older V70 Brickwagon which burns less, but they all burn when they get old.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts