SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I own a polestar tuned V60 RD Platinum with every feature/option and while I love the car, it's a 2015.5 with upwards of 82,000 miles on it and I'm always wondering if/when I do decide to get rid of it, what'll be my next purchase. I can't for the life of me narrow down a more practical and comfortable, yet sporty and just over all fun to drive vehicle.

I've had Volvo, Volkswagen, Mazda, Subaru, Jeep, Pontiac, Mitsubishi, Scion as a reference.

What would you consider purchasing or moving onto if you decided to get rid of your S60/V60, etc? Stick with Volvo or choose something else?

·
Registered
187 Posts
82k ain't sh*t. That car has another 100k+ easy in it if properly maintained, and I don't doubt you're capable of that.

That said, if you get bored? Mercedes AMG or Audi S/RS. Go hard.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I'm in the same boat! Given Volvo's recent tendency to lean toward (in my opinion) more "old man" cars and SUVs, I don't think my next car will be a Volvo. I have also become very attached to rebel blue (everyone comments on how fun it is) and don't want to give it up. Once again, Volvo has gone "blah" in the color department. I think my next car will be an Audi A5 in turbo blue. I had an Audi prior to my switch to Volvos and have always missed the interior refinement of it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm in the same boat! Given Volvo's recent tendency to lean toward (in my opinion) more "old man" cars and SUVs, I don't think my next car will be a Volvo. I have also become very attached to rebel blue (everyone comments on how fun it is) and don't want to give it up. Once again, Volvo has gone "blah" in the color department. I think my next car will be an Audi A5 in turbo blue. I had an Audi prior to my switch to Volvos and have always missed the interior refinement of it.
Yeah, I went from a 98 A4 2.8 Quattro to an 04 S80 then an 06 V70, and... The Audi interior was so much better across the board despite being 8+ years older. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Volvos, but it's not the same.

That said, I'm planning to build the S40 big time. Can't say it will happen tomorrow, my budget is definitely limiting, but I have huge plans for my car. Volvo can keep up with "the best" 100%.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
The Volvo Concept Coup, but since that's not happening probably the S60 T8. The Audi A5 is a very close second if only it wasn't a VW.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Volvo Concept Coup, but since that's not happening probably the S60 T8. The Audi A5 is a very close second if only it wasn't a VW.
The problem with VAG (since forever) is there are good ones and bad ones, and you don't know which you have until it's too late.

Back when I had the 98 A4 my sister had practically the same car (year, most specs, etc) except mine was a 5 speed and hers was an auto. Her car was bought off a long time family friend with full dealer maintenance records and almost half as many miles as mine. I bought mine off some guy named Steve in Atlanta. My car was basically problem free to 250k+ miles. Her car was a total sh*t show from about 80k (we bought it with about 60k on it).

In comparison.... Never seen a reasonably well maintained Volvo die under 200k. My S80 was a /garbage/ ex-rental, fell apart around 190k. The V70 was well maintained and was killed by road debris at ~230k with no major issues.

Dear Volvo: please make cool cars again, I don't want to buy potential garbage.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I recently had a 2019 V60 T6 AWD P* as a loaner and really liked it. Even though it was peppy little booger, it still felt like a 4 banger. I really enjoy the torque and feel of the AWD turbo'd inline 6.

I would love to trade up from my 2012 T6 AWD to a fully loaded 2015.5 or 2016 V60 or XC60. Between the hockey bag (3 times a week in the winter) and the golf clubs (3 times a week in the summer), the trunk of the S60 suffers a little. Would love the extra room on the V60's or XC60's trunk.

If I was to go outside the brand, the Audi's are sweet cars. Love the looks and handling of the A4 or A5.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
82k ain't sh*t. That car has another 100k+ easy in it if properly maintained, and I don't doubt you're capable of that.

That said, if you get bored? Mercedes AMG or Audi S/RS. Go hard.

I maintain it regularly and know as long as I keep up on everything, it'll last me. I drive a about 35,000 miles a year so I rack miles up pretty quickly. Part of me is contemplating picking up a runner vehicle for my 100 mile a day work commute so I can dial back the miles on the V60 buuuutt coming from the VAG scene, an RS3 would be awesome! Never really looked into the AMG reliability for higher mileage.

I totally understand - See my comment above. The P3 interior isn't too bad but there's not much like an Audi interior. Mine is also a Rebel Blue so I totally get where you're coming from. For ****s and giggles, I priced out a new V60 Polestar and thought, maaan when I seen the colors!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
2020 Audi RS5

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Mine is also a Rebel Blue so I totally get where you're coming from. For ****s and giggles, I priced out a new V60 Polestar and thought, maaan when I seen the colors!
Driving by a Volvo lot these days is like driving by the Buick lot. No more passion red, rebel blue, or anything resembling sporty and fun. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
307 Posts
It'd be a number of years for me, but something like the VW ID Space Vizzion. I *think* I would want an electric station wagon and this concept is literally the only thing out there that fits the bill.

Otherwise, some other sort of wagon.

View attachment 58097

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Definitely not a Volvo for me. IMHO they are nothing special anymore for the money you pay.
Not sure what I want yet but it's got to be more special/practical than just a FWD (or FWD based) 4-door sedan with automatic transmission. There are many less expensive and/or better built options if I want to go that way again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The problem with VAG (since forever) is there are good ones and bad ones, and you don't know which you have until it's too late.
I have heard this as well, had an Audi A4 before getting the V60. Sold it at 198k miles after driving it for 162k problem free miles, regular oil changes and keeping up on maintenance it was driving as good at 198k as it was at 36k. Even the interior was still incredibly clean for a car with close to 200k, yet someone could have bought the exact same model and have nothing but problems. Seems like a bunch of users on here came from an Audi, or would move to an Audi if selling the Volvo.

As for what to replace my Volvo, hard to say since I have only had it a week, I wish mine had a few more of the options (it's an early 2015 build) but so far I love it. I'll likely still want an AWD wagon, which who knows if any will still be available in a few years and for the driving I do, if an electric wagon was available with 250 mile range and decent performance, then I'd give it serious thought.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Given Volvo's recent tendency to lean toward (in my opinion) more "old man" cars and SUVs, I don't think my next car will be a Volvo.
It's the younger folks who are pushing for the SUVs... In the XC90 class Volvo gets the highest percentage of young affluent market on a per sale basis. Young folks in general don't want wagons and sedans (I'm not part of that group myself... but I would go broke if didn't have SUVs to sell to the young crowd. Nearly every sedan I sell goes to an older person. Wagons are a bit of a mix, but not too many get sold.

If I had to pick another lux brand I think I'd enjoy selling.... Probably BMW simply because they seem to have a focused expectation (even if it's not delivered upon always). I don't care for brands that folks get by accident. Volvo gets so many folks who have been around with the brand for a long time and Volvo is expected to be safe, comfortable, and not over the top, and they are. I'm not sure why someone buys an Audi, Lexus, or Lincoln other than an accident or some sort of weird excel sheet value selection. BMW is a drivers car by expectation. I'd probably cry if I was there as they ended manual transmissions in the 3 series... but a few used ones will be around for a few years. But you sell even fewer of those than you do sedans in the first place! And they do have convertibles, which I personally love.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
It's the younger folks who are pushing for the SUVs...
I guess I should have better written my sentence - the "old man" was in reference to just the cars. I don't mind the SUV lineup, but think the car side of the design isn't targeting young, sporty buyers. But maybe that speaks to your comment, too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
In just this spot. We're trading in our 2001 V70. For a 2020 XC60 T8 - just finalized the order today. Looked at the comparable Mercedes but liked the Volvo better (and they don't have their new PHEV version available). I've got to say, though, that the voice recognition on the Mercedes is fantastic!

It's funny about older people getting sedans. We might well have gotten another wagon except it's a long ways down and back up once the knees start to go.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
I guess I should have better written my sentence - the "old man" was in reference to just the cars. I don't mind the SUV lineup, but think the car side of the design isn't targeting young, sporty buyers. But maybe that speaks to your comment, too.
That could be... I don't see many young folks buying sedans... I don't see many sedans. We look out at the main drag in front of the dealer and it's all trucks and SUVs in our neck of the woods. Most sedans are entry level Versas or Focus

And yeah, they have gotten low to the ground... even the CC wagons are lowish. I've marveled at the early automobiles being closer to SUVs than cars... then we got into the sporty car phase but shift back to SUVs... A 1928 PV4 would not be described by a sedan if you compared it to a modern definition.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Im really liking the Peugeot 508. 225hp, 220 ft lbs but 1400kgs. Its a 1.6L turbo with the same 8 speed transmission as the Volvo. Its a bit slower, but for my drive the 0-60km/h is more important than the 0-100km/h and the weight saving should help with that. The Volvo is just too heavy to have any fun in, and ive got the light one!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Like a couple of others above I'd be loathe to part with my inline 6....

I've always had a hankering to own a Jaguar, but they ain't what they used to be and not sure I'd ever be able to afford one worth buying.. might find it hard to resist looking for a big American V8 when the time comes

1 - 20 of 104 Posts