SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I have some hard water spots that don't want to come of with the chrome polish I normally use.

Any ideas? What are others using?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Seems I have some hard water spots that don't want to come of with the chrome polish I normally use.

Any ideas? What are others using?
Do yourself a favour and get some P21S polishing soap. Very light pressure and it'll come out great. Works fantastic on the exhaust tips as well.

Just be careful with it and don't rub it on the paint.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Don't use any metal polish on those trim pieces. It's just plastic coated in a chrome paint; you will pit the plastic. Just use a synthetic liquid wax and that should help.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PureDrive07,

Is the trim at the bottom of the windows plastic? I know most of the chrome accents are (grille, lower door trim, tailgate, etc.), but the window trim seems to be a different material...maybe highly polished aluminum?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Don't use any metal polish on those trim pieces. It's just plastic coated in a chrome paint; you will pit the plastic. Just use a synthetic liquid wax and that should help.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Are you talking about the lower door trim or the trim below the window? The lower door is plastic but I thought the window trim itself is metal?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Are you talking about the lower door trim or the trim below the window? The lower door is plastic but I thought the window trim itself is metal?
Yes the bottom piece is definitely plastic, but the window trim to me feels just like a harder plastic than real metal. Regardless, I would stay away from using any metal polishes on the trim pieces and would just use a liquid wax which should be more than enough to protect it from water spotting. My parents had a 2010 XC60 that my dad used some Blue Magic metal polish on the window trim and it stained; luckily the dealer replaced the window trim under warranty. It is perfectly fine to use metal polish on the exhaust tips because those are an actual metal piece.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes the bottom piece is definitely plastic, but the window trim to me feels just like a harder plastic than real metal. Regardless, I would stay away from using any metal polishes on the trim pieces and would just use a liquid wax which should be more than enough to protect it from water spotting. My parents had a 2010 XC60 that my dad used some Blue Magic metal polish on the window trim and it stained; luckily the dealer replaced the window trim under warranty. It is perfectly fine to use metal polish on the exhaust tips because those are an actual metal piece.
The polishing soap is pretty mild. Works fantastic on the exhaust. I've used clay bar on the rear Chrome with a safe solution worked great.

Personally I wish they made it easier to delete the bottom chrome on the door.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you go into the what did you buy/do to your XC60 stickied thread you can see the pictures I post of my exhaust tips after a harsh winter and then after using the polishing soap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Want t revive this thread as the silver colored trim under the windows on my car is dulling pretty badly. Still can't decide whether this trim piece is metal or plastic, so not sure which type of polish to use to brighten. Can anyone provide further guidance?

2015.5 XC60 T5 Drive-E

1 - 9 of 9 Posts