SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to a dealer with money in hand tomorrow to purchase a 05 s60r gt with 119k miles and I've searched the forums but haven't found a buyer's guide so to speak and I'm asking for your help what are things to look for I know the common stuff like milky oil leaks etc but I've seen love and horror stories with these cars as far as buying used and I could use some help

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
91 Posts
Okay First thing to check would be the angle gear (AWD), then the 4c struts. I'd these two are the most common problems with the Rs and cost a lot to fix. There're other things like slave cylinders depending on what transmission you are getting.

I'd say, take the car to a Volvo dealer (if you are not buying at one), and do a pre-purchase inspection, that cost 160 (and it was sooo worth it) when I was getting my R, and the previous owner was kind enough to cover that. (Cuz I shipped the car instead of buying mine in person) And it turned out the car I was getting had a striped angle gear sleeve and a rear blown strut. The sleeve cost 1.3k to repair because of labour, and strut was quoted 800 each corner. (usually it's better to replace in pairs, so....)

Yeah,so if you're not a pro, trust a volvo technician would be a good idea cuz the Rs are expensive to fix.

Good luck~

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'm not buying from a Volvo dealer so I'll ask if I can have it inspected as there is one nearby thanks if there's anything else you can think of let me know

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also think some of the more experienced members should write up a buyer's guide and make it a sticky as I know it would help people interested in these problematic but loveable cars..... To quote Jeremy Clarkson, " it's like a 3 year old child, really annoying a lot of the time but if someone tried to take it away you'd kill them"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow how did I miss that thank you sorry for being a noob I promise I read through the stickies

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I have always admired Volvo for being so left field and when they released the new r in 04 I fell in love with the performance and subtle good looks also that thread was VERY helpful

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But the one I'm looking at being an 05 the first thing I'd do is stage 0 and pull that ecu and send it to jzw for a stage 1 with torque limit delete...... Also I'm getting a warranty package it's a little pricy but covers any repair to the car including the timing belt up to $15k and it will take me another 3yr 36k

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought my 05 SR 2 months ago and I love it to death although a lot needs to be replaced. If you're looking at an 05, you have less to worry about than an '04. The guy who owned my R before me replaced the following:

angle gear, PCV system, throttle body, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, and redid the vacuum lines as well as a new battery. the things to worry most about are the PCV system, angle gear, and like Ttom said the 4C struts. You can always put in coilovers if you don't like it though.

The biggest, and i repeat BIGGEST thing you need to do if you're going to buy an R is get a DICE unit and the vida software for ~$100 on ebay. people say these cars are incredibly expensive to maintain but if you budget around $100 a month and are semi-decent with car maintenance (oil changes, trans fluid flushes, brakes, etc.) the only thing you'll spend big money on is the catastrophic stuff that, if the car you buy was maintained correctly, will happen a lot later if at all, as long as you do plenty of preventative maintenance.

that sums up my ownership so far, good luck finding a good R!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my 05 SR 2 months ago and I love it to death although a lot needs to be replaced. If you're looking at an 05, you have less to worry about than an '04. The guy who owned my R before me replaced the following:

angle gear, PCV system, throttle body, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, and redid the vacuum lines as well as a new battery. the things to worry most about are the PCV system, angle gear, and like Ttom said the 4C struts. You can always put in coilovers if you don't like it though.

The biggest, and i repeat BIGGEST thing you need to do if you're going to buy an R is get a DICE unit and the vida software for ~$100 on ebay. people say these cars are incredibly expensive to maintain but if you budget around $100 a month and are semi-decent with car maintenance (oil changes, trans fluid flushes, brakes, etc.) the only thing you'll spend big money on is the catastrophic stuff that, if the car you buy was maintained correctly, will happen a lot later if at all, as long as you do plenty of preventative maintenance.

I certainly plan on getting viva and a dice in fact I already downloaded the latest vida but damn this is outdated software I have Windows 10 and the newest it works on is 7 some have had luck with a vm but I think I'll just buy a Craigslist laptop

·
Registered
407 Posts
I certainly plan on getting viva and a dice in fact I already downloaded the latest vida but damn this is outdated software I have Windows 10 and the newest it works on is 7 some have had luck with a vm but I think I'll just buy a Craigslist laptop

if you get your unit from digital-life on ebay he includes new software, updates, dice, and vmware that works perfect with vida.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Search swedespeed via google instead of the built in search function. Like 'swedespeed strut replacement', its the only way to go if you really want to find something.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Check my R thread in my signature, i have a list that says everything i had done to the car since i got it a few months ago. I can tell you already that i changed the whole awd system and much more... it is a car that always require some maintenance each year. I personally will have about 1k in repairs if not more each year. Hope this can help. Other than that maintaining this car is totally worth it, best car i ever had so far and i had a STI before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I messaged the only local Volvo dealer and gave them the vin they said that it had come in about 10k miles ago and it was noted the front struts are leaking as is the pcv system if this stuff hasn't been replaced should I walk away

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Check my R thread in my signature, i have a list that says everything i had done to the car since i got it a few months ago. I can tell you already that i changed the whole awd system and much more... it is a car that always require some maintenance each year. I personally will have about 1k in repairs if not more each year. Hope this can help. Other than that maintaining this car is totally worth it, best car i ever had so far and i had a STI before.
Read your thread thx nice r btw

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
But the one I'm looking at being an 05 the first thing I'd do is stage 0 and pull that ecu and send it to jzw for a stage 1 with torque limit delete...... Also I'm getting a warranty package it's a little pricy but covers any repair to the car including the timing belt up to $15k and it will take me another 3yr 36k

Warranty repairs up to a cumulative $15,000? I'm not sure how these warranties go, but I'd like to assume they source parts from the dealer or elsewhere at full pop, and then labor is marked up as well to quickly chew up warranty? You should find out if you can tell them where to source the same parts for less, and have a choice of who does your labor.

04 and 05 are pretty much the same (transmission, power output, Haldex unit, collar gear etc.). Excluding visual upgrades, the only difference is electronics and wiring...all Volvo techs I've talked to prefer 04's as the 05+ electronics are a mess for them to work on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts