SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How you doing everyone, so recently i bought a 2004 crossfire i love the car sepite everyone elses thoughts on them. But after driving it to work more and more and realizing i need to bring more stuff to work i am quickly realizing i do not have the room at all in this car...So this bring me to this thread, when i HS i worked at a Mercedes Benz/Volvo/Jaquar dealer here in schererville indiana (napelton) for 3 years where i got my chance to drive every car a Serbian/Maso kid dreams of:p (just kidding, the foreign kids around here loves high end cars). While driving all of them i couldnt help but always find myself taking the Volvo's a longer way around the parking lot before parking the car, or taking another turn when filling them up for gas. I had a 1990 Volvo 740GL that i bought for 1600 i loved it, it was ugly, slow, bad on gas, the previous owner treated it like **** so hoses where always going out, they tried using the sealing gunk for the radiator hoses. Needless to say it clogged the radiator and the car overheated, had to replace the motor. But after spending 3000+ on a car that was not worth it IMO or anyone elses i decided to sell it and get into the Vdub game, i missed my volvo. I have been in love with all R designs and particuley the S60R and the V70R (im a ballen soccer dad at heart, even though i dont have any kids) I know i can get a mechanic from work to go with me to look at any volvo i decide to be serious about but I want to know some for my own self. for those just in case moments. Im hoping to get what i can for my crossfire and inturn flip that money to pay it off and put the rest down on a S60. But being 20yrs old (21 july 6) I want to know how do your R's run, would you recommend the 2.5T AWD over the R being as young as i am? How are the auto trans? Id prefer a stick to enjoy this car. How expensive are modifications? I do want a car that is quicker, i like the AWD. I recently read about the nice HWY gas milage since i drive the HWY to work. How many miles is to many for a used s60/R just the whole low down. I did try using the search option before making this thread and didnt come up with to much. Might have used it wrong? But ya some information would be amazing thank you everyone

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Ever heard of paragraphs?

·
Registered
635 Posts
at 20, i definitely recommend the 2.5T. You could even find a T5 if you want a little more power. The S60R is not a cheap car to own, the R specific items are generally fairly expensive....mainly the shocks honestly.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
+1

At 20, you are already fighting the stigma of being "some dumb kid". Take the time to write out full coherent sentences.

Also, note that by putting breaks between your thoughts, your posts become easier to read.

As for the car, an R is an expensive car to maintain and mod.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is a forum not grammer class, correct? Thought so.
at 20, i definitely recommend the 2.5T. You could even find a T5 if you want a little more power. The S60R is not a cheap car to own, the R specific items are generally fairly expensive....mainly the shocks honestly.
The T5 is looking like a nice idea, but i do currently own a car that is not cheap to mod, or to do any type of maintenance on considering it shares the motor with the SLK320. im aware of the cost of maintenance, but that brings me to a new point. Id spot the extra cash for a extended warranty to cover most things. And mod only things that would NOT void the major parts of the warranty

+1

At 20, you are already fighting the stigma of being "some dumb kid". Take the time to write out full coherent sentences.

Also, note that by putting breaks between your thoughts, your posts become easier to read.

Stigma of some dumb kid? You are judging me off of a thread on a forum.....Your falling right into being the typical judgmental asshole that this country is filled with, I asked for advice about a car that we all love not to get a lesson on who you think I am or how you dont like the way I type.

This thread (courtesy of prienzo and a handful of other forum members) may contain some information that would be helpful for you: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...Should-I-Look-For-When-Buyin-An-R-quot-Thread

Cheers,

Jeff
Thank you for giving me something that is actually useful.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I was 20yo when I got my R... Alot of people even on here told me that I shouldn't have it because I was too young. When I posted a question about my timing belt, people imediatelly assumed that I was not taking care of the car, even though I was washing and waxing it on a weekly basis. Don't let people on here get to you so easily. Once you become a full time contributing member, people won't judge your grammar. At least not so harshly :p

I had a S60 T5 when I was 18 and loved it. Actually that's when I first learned about the R. Ever since then, I wanted one, but it was always in our of my price range. After a short unpleasant experience with a WRX, I got the R. All my friends were judging me about owning a "old person car". They all learned to shut up after a ride in it. I love this caR alot.

However, with that being said, last summer I spent thousands in repairs. Slave cylinder included: clutch kit, flywheel resurfacing, fluids etc.. then the angle gear reseal, followed by control arms, tie rods, power steering pump & hoses, timing belt. I mean it was no fun. But after everything was fixed, the caR was perfect. Now my only issue is random boost numbers ranging from 10lbs to 15. I think it's the TCV, but it could be a CBV or something more major.

All in all, if you have money to buy the parts and pay a shop, or experience to do diy on maintenance, the car will be great for you. If however you're tight on cash or don't want to spend $450 a strut ($760 from the dealer), you're better off looking somewhere else. But remember, being able to change suspension firmness settings is amazing!

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Well, you seem like the dumb kid this country is filled with when you fail to complete sentences. It is a forum, but that doesn't mean you should type like you're texting your friend.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would like to add that I help a lot of people on bimmerforums. But anyone who doesn't take the time to make posts that are easy to read do not get my time trying to help. In your defense though, it seems you may have posted that on a cell phone since your mid sentence I's aren't capitalized. Rule of the thumb, easy to read posts get much better help and advice.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You have to watch the way the aftermarket warranty is worded. Most will not cover the sunroof braking if you put a k&n filter in it which is why I do my own work.

I love my R. Out of all the cars I own I use it the most. By my house the main road goes from two lanes to one right after a stop light. Everyone and there dog will try to race you just to be infront of you then do 10 under the limit. The other day a kid in a older dodge pick up got off the free way in front of me. He was doing at least 10 under the limit o when I got the chance I got around him and we end up next to each other at the light. Of course now he's offended and tried to beat me to where it goes down to one lane. I find it super funny when someone takes off as fast as they can launching the truck ect. and all I have to do to stay in front is slowly roll into boost for a sec.

I even had both kid seats in the back.

I wouldn't mind a t5 but you don't get the brembos, nice body, better color choices, six speed ect. If you can swing it, the r is worth the extra. Insurance is so cheap on these it's funny. It's half what I would pay on an evo.

You do need to be willing to work on the car a bit. Turbo cars just require more up keep.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was recently debating whether to get a T5 or an R and decided to get a 2005+ T5 because i was able to get a good deal on a one owner with detailed service records. My major deciding factor was that I didn't care if I had AWD or not and the fact that generally the T5 being FWD with conventional suspension is a cheaper and easier car to maintain since I am a law student with an internship I don't get a lot of free time, let alone time to fix things when they come up.

Other things that ultimately swayed my opinion was the fact that it seemed less likely for a T5 to be modified as an R (read as aimed at two different kind of buyers) despite having a similar engine (nearly identical). Plus, the fact that it can be tuned to be as fast as an R, and everything the R has that I wanted like Bembos and Pegasus wheels I could eventually add my self, if I really want them.

To sum it up it depends on what you really want/need and what's available.

I will add with the T5 doesn't have the same panache as the R but that can be both a good and bad thing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was 20yo when I got my R... Alot of people even on here told me that I shouldn't have it because I was too young. When I posted a question about my timing belt, people imediatelly assumed that I was not taking care of the car, even though I was washing and waxing it on a weekly basis. Don't let people on here get to you so easily. Once you become a full time contributing member, people won't judge your grammar. At least not so harshly :p

I had a S60 T5 when I was 18 and loved it. Actually that's when I first learned about the R. Ever since then, I wanted one, but it was always in our of my price range. After a short unpleasant experience with a WRX, I got the R. All my friends were judging me about owning a "old person car". They all learned to shut up after a ride in it. I love this caR alot.

However, with that being said, last summer I spent thousands in repairs. Slave cylinder included: clutch kit, flywheel resurfacing, fluids etc.. then the angle gear reseal, followed by control arms, tie rods, power steering pump & hoses, timing belt. I mean it was no fun. But after everything was fixed, the caR was perfect. Now my only issue is random boost numbers ranging from 10lbs to 15. I think it's the TCV, but it could be a CBV or something more major.

All in all, if you have money to buy the parts and pay a shop, or experience to do diy on maintenance, the car will be great for you. If however you're tight on cash or don't want to spend $450 a strut ($760 from the dealer), you're better off looking somewhere else. But remember, being able to change suspension firmness settings is amazing!
That is my biggest perk about the R, the option to tune the suspension how you want and have the AWD under you to accommodate any way you want to drive. I do currently own a car that isnt cheap to maintain probably not as bad as a R but nonetheless gave me experience on having a car that is not cheap (2004 Crossfire) I can do most basic things myself but being short on garage space make that more difficult and not knowing the newer volvo's like i knew my old 740, there really is nothing to the B230f, Ive read up on the slave cylinders in the 6sp going out, i know about the timing and have skimmed across some of the strut problems. I wont lie however, having to have a car in the shop more than my driveway would really piss me off. But if the car is a reliable car and can be ran to the ground than putting 4-5g into a car that will last you into when other people need to buy another car and spend 10g+ seems worth it to me. Being a former employee at a Volvo dealer helps with parts cost and theres a mechanic there who loves vodka. I am into "trading" stuff alot so why not buy him some vodka to work on the car outside of work? ex, Labor = $300 alot of Vodka =$150....save $150. Id more than likely buy one from the forum and read all posts the previous owner posted. I have a warranty on my crossfire thans transferable so if the new owner whenever i sell it doesnt want to pay the extra for me to transfer it to them it will get transferred to the new car
I would like to add that I help a lot of people on bimmerforums. But anyone who doesn't take the time to make posts that are easy to read do not get my time trying to help. In your defense though, it seems you may have posted that on a cell phone since your mid sentence I's aren't capitalized. Rule of the thumb, easy to read posts get much better help and advice.
Posted off my galaxy note...the space button is oddly positioned and coming from a smaller phone ahving such a big keyboard you'd think Id be better at typing. *false....lol

You have to watch the way the aftermarket warranty is worded. Most will not cover the sunroof braking if you put a k&n filter in it which is why I do my own work.

I love my R. Out of all the cars I own I use it the most. By my house the main road goes from two lanes to one right after a stop light. Everyone and there dog will try to race you just to be infront of you then do 10 under the limit. The other day a kid in a older dodge pick up got off the free way in front of me. He was doing at least 10 under the limit o when I got the chance I got around him and we end up next to each other at the light. Of course now he's offended and tried to beat me to where it goes down to one lane. I find it super funny when someone takes off as fast as they can launching the truck ect. and all I have to do to stay in front is slowly roll into boost for a sec.

I even had both kid seats in the back.

I wouldn't mind a t5 but you don't get the brembos, nice body, better color choices, six speed ect. If you can swing it, the r is worth the extra. Insurance is so cheap on these it's funny. It's half what I would pay on an evo.

You do need to be willing to work on the car a bit. Turbo cars just require more up keep.
The six speed the the big thing, there is a guy around here when i used to work at the volvo dealership that has a 850R with the pegasus wheels on it ill probably get in touch with him and see if he'd like to do a trade + cash for the stock ones if i go that route , i have tons of buddys with Evo's around here. all mommy & daddy bought. So they dont care about insurance and what goes wrong with it since some moaning and groaning to mom and dad will get the car fixed. I however have old fashioned parents...Moms 100% polish (only positive is she can cook) dad was raced with very strict parents and is italian (no positives) at 18 they told me i have to pay for my insurance, ok no biggie. i see the point there. i pay for my gas and my insurance its my car. Than i wanted to get a new car, of course i have to pay for that, so i am paying for that and cell phone and whatever else i need, im grown acustom to it i guess you could say. If you dont mind me asking what do you pay for insurance? I really dont care what it costs....lol i have a clean record with one speeding ticket. ( was 143 in 75, trying to top my crossfire out) the cop laughed since it was at night i wasnt swurving between cars or anything, there was no one on the road, and told me he did the same thing when he was a kid but they were more dumb back than, gave me a pep talk about all the "what if" situations and wrote it for 10 over.

I was recently debating whether to get a T5 or an R and decided to get a 2005+ T5 because i was able to get a good deal on a one owner with detailed service records. My major deciding factor was that I didn't care if I had AWD or not and the fact that generally the T5 being FWD with conventional suspension is a cheaper and easier car to maintain since I am a law student with an internship I don't get a lot of free time, let alone time to fix things when they come up.

Other things that ultimately swayed my opinion was the fact that it seemed less likely for a T5 to be modified as an R (read as aimed at two different kind of buyers) despite having a similar engine (nearly identical). Plus, the fact that it can be tuned to be as fast as an R, and everything the R has that I wanted like Bembos and Pegasus wheels I could eventually add my self, if I really want them.

To sum it up it depends on what you really want/need and what's available.

I will add with the T5 doesn't have the same panache as the R but that can be both a good and bad thing.
How do you like your T5? Smooth acceleration, braking, handling? I have yet to test drive one on my own, i did when i worked the Volvo dealership but never in the mindset of buying it so didnt pay alot of attention to it. I understand you completely on the time being a major factor and that is something I will have to take into consideration

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you seem like the dumb kid this country is filled with when you fail to complete sentences. It is a forum, but that doesn't mean you should type like you're texting your friend.
The nice thing about "this country" is the freedom in it. I can type however i want to type, say things however I want to say them & do just about what ever i want since it is my life. But this dumb kid happens to fight for the country you live in. Although this country is nothing but politics and it feeds directly into the military life I have an obligation to fulfill to serve this country and everyone in it. People come in all shape, colors, and forms, and to judge someone based off how they type makes you no better than anyone else. Infact you taking the time out of your day to tell me what I do wrong just shows me how unpleasant your life is that you have to talk down to people on a forum to bring your moral up. Dont like what i post, dont read it. Have a good day

·
Registered
614 Posts
+1

LOL

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You have to rember that I'm on the other side of the hill on the getting boned by car insurance train. I'm 27, married, we live in the country, all of my cars are garaged, we have several cars, I work from home, I've been with progressive for a long time and get a bunch of discounts. I pay like 40-50$ a month for full coverage with 500/500 deductible.

Since your so young the insurance would be even worse for you on an evo. I ran it before, and I can get a Porsche 911 turbo and pay the same insurance rate as an evo. To give you an idea I pay more to insure my wife's 04 civic than either the R or my 300zx twin turbo because the civic is in a high theft class for insurance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have to rember that I'm on the other side of the hill on the getting boned by car insurance train. I'm 27, married, we live in the country, all of my cars are garaged, we have several cars, I work from home, I've been with progressive for a long time and get a bunch of discounts. I pay like 40-50$ a month for full coverage with 500/500 deductible.

Since your so young the insurance would be even worse for you on an evo. I ran it before, and I can get a Porsche 911 turbo and pay the same insurance rate as an evo. To give you an idea I pay more to insure my wife's 04 civic than either the R or my 300zx twin turbo because the civic is in a high theft class for insurance.
lmfao! how does that make you feel paying more for the civic? and 40-50 a month is nothing...i pay 180 now for my crossfire. you suggest progressive? i have statefarm now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts