SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at a 2010 XC60 T6 with 116k for my son's first car. Condition is fair to good. Any specific things to check out before closing the deal? Maintenance has been kept up. Power seats and memory work, wipers, windows, power lift gate all check out. Engine runs well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looking at a 2010 XC60 T6 with 116k for my son's first car. Condition is not fair to good. Any specific things to check out before closing the deal? Maintenance has been kept up. Power seats and memory work, wipers, windows, power lift gate all check out. Engine runs well.
My car's condition is not fair either!
Take a close look at the fenders, some people on here have reported rust on newer models than the one you're considering, including my wife's 2012. Be warned, the turbo six likes to drink plenty of premium fuel. These things are expensive to fix as they age (speaking from experience).

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Nothing out of the ordinary on these cars. Check all the usual things like brakes, transmission, AWD works, no clunking suspension, etc. I would imagine at these miles the car is due for PCV service if it hasn't been done already. Luckily, it's pretty easy on the SI 6 motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car's condition is not fair either!
Take a close look at the fenders, some people on here have reported rust on newer models than the one you're considering, including my wife's 2012. Be warned, the turbo six likes to drink plenty of premium fuel. These things are expensive to fix as they age (speaking from experience).

Thanks for the info. Corrected the post, it is fair to good. Few dings and light scratches on the exterior. Interior is very good. Took it for an extended test drive and really liked it. As you say they get expensive and that is the big questions. $7.5K purchase can turn into $10+ with a few of the common issues. Was able to talk to the shop that has been doing maintenance and they confirmed the radiator fan was replaced 2017 and valve cover gasket 2018 with a new battery.

Pretty much a crap shoot but it looks and drives really nice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing out of the ordinary on these cars. Check all the usual things like brakes, transmission, AWD works, no clunking suspension, etc. I would imagine at these miles the car is due for PCV service if it hasn't been done already. Luckily, it's pretty easy on the SI 6 motor.
Shop said they replaced valve cover gasket last year which I think would mean the PCV.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Shop said they replaced valve cover gasket last year which I think would mean the PCV.
I wouldn't assume that - two very different things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updated the description. It is fair to good exterior. Some minor dings and scratches. Interior is very nice. All the the electronics checked out and took it on a 10-15 mile test drive with multiple stops and restarts. Your point about the repair costs is the major impediment, $7.5k escalating over $10k pretty quickly. Really nice ride though and solid acceleration.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
According to kbb that would be a pretty reasonable price. Like any used car, assume that you will have to spend some $$ bringing it up to your expectations. I don't think I've ever bought a used car that didn't need something. Repair costs on these cars are a lot more manageable if you can do some of the work yourself and source parts more economically than the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to kbb that would be a pretty reasonable price. Like any used car, assume that you will have to spend some $$ bringing it up to your expectations. I don't think I've ever bought a used car that didn't need something. Repair costs on these cars are a lot more manageable if you can do some of the work yourself and source parts more economically than the dealer.
Yes. The initial price is not a concern. The shop that was doing the work for the last couple of years has a good reputation as well.

I might have trouble giving it to the kid if I buy it though. He was going to get my Mariner hybrid but the breaks are not great and no stability control worries me for a first ride. Will update if I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What shop has been servicing it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts