SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. It's been a few years since I've been here on Swedespeed. Had my 98 V70 as a daily driver for 5 years now. Have put 120K on the V70 - it has almost 200K miles. Air is going out, odd noises from the right front suspension - it's just old!<p>I think I'm going to donate it or sell it for peanuts and pick up an 03 or 04. I used to own a 2002 S60 (from new) which was very reliable. I'm sure the V70 I pick up will have 60K-100K miles. What should I look for in a used vehicle of this vintage? What are the problem items on these cars?<p>Thanks guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This might sound silly but when buying a used car, make sure to inspect the keys before you sign. It should have 2 working keys and key fobs. I recently bought a 2005 S40, the car was perfect, the price was great, and after we signed and they delivered the car, guess what, only 1 key. <p>A replacement key fob all programmed can run $300 at the dealer. I had been haggling all day with these guys over a couple hundred bucks so needless to say I was pissed. In the end, they contacted the previous owner and got me the second key.<p>See if it has all the useless Volvo On Call stuff. My V70 had the keypad, driver headrest speaker, and handset in center console. I had the dealer remove the keypad for free and replace it with a cubby hole. Then I had to remove the useless handset from the center console. I still have the speaker in the drivers headrest and useless steering wheel controls, whatever.<p>Here is a list of things fixed on my 2003 V70 in the last few years.<br>Rear wiper (warranty)<br>Fuel pump (warranty)<br>Joystick for power mirrors was cracked (warranty)<br>Upper motor mount<br>Front brake pads<br>Fuel door blew off in the car wash (this hardware is notoriously weak. At our local car wash when any Volvo comes in they use packing tape to secure the door)<br>Front end alignment.<br>Tires.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: What to look for in used 03,04 V70. (BigSteve)

Basically the same things you would look for in any Volvo with those miles.<br><B>Service records</B><br>Condition of angle gear (leaking) and is the AWD itself functioning<br>Brakes, rotors<br>Engine mount(s)<br>General condition of the vehicle, is it clean, is the interior trashed or was it respected, etc.<br>If you can't tell, havce someone look to see if it's had any major paintwork<br>Naturally Carfax it, at least for continuity<p>If you want me to find you a good one, contact me.<br>You will be looking at 04s, VERY FEW 03s around, (short model year, 7 months).

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Re: (timewstr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>timewstr</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Joystick for power mirrors was cracked (warranty)<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Funny that you mention that, I've seen that thing get cracked as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts