SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on finding parts for my volvo! Right now I have a high flow air intake from EuroSportTunning, ipd TCV and ipd CBV spring. Its hard finding parts for this model because its not the most popular I'm guessing. I really want to get a new exhaust but not sure where from! If anyone has the same car or has some tips for me please let me know! :thumbup:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Depends if you want to have a handling car, or one with a more powerful engine, or both.

Suspension:
F&R sway bars, biggest bang for the buck
upper strut bar - helps take some flex out of the chassis
new links for sway bars, need stronger ones with new sway bars

Engine:
downpipe, then cat back exhaust will help the engine be ready for better breathing.
then get a good tune - see ardtuning.com, Lucky is very good at tuning these cars. He now does the ME 7.x ECU, and can tune it to whatever you want, from mild, to balls to the wall.
turbo upgrade, if you want more power. Your turbo is likely a 13T or 14T, and what will really make that car wake up is a 16T turbo. Careful, your engine is an LPT engine (low pressure turbo) and the 16 T turbo comes on HPT (high pressure turbo) cars, so you have to have a tune that works with it, again, see Lucky.

NGGreenBud has done something similar, and you can see him is this specific forum for what he has done. Nice job, and if you pick and choose from what he has done, you can have something very nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the tips, I have looked at ardtunning a little bit but I will look more into it for a ecu upgrade.
I want this car to have a decent suspension so It's not so floppy and I want to put lower springs on it. I want it to be a sleeper tho, I want people to look at it and think "psh thats just some soccer mom volvo" then blow them out of the water.
As far as buying a new turbo, I have seen them on viva performance but thats it.
Downpipe I was thinking from EST.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the tips, I have looked at ardtunning a little bit but I will look more into it for a ecu upgrade.
I want this car to have a decent suspension so It's not so floppy and I want to put lower springs on it. I want it to be a sleeper tho, I want people to look at it and think "psh thats just some soccer mom volvo" then blow them out of the water.
As far as buying a new turbo, I have seen them on viva performance but thats it.
Downpipe I was thinking from EST.
ARD tuning will be having a black friday sale on their tunes according to their facebook page.

Turbo's can be bought from viva if you want a brand new turbo, however a properly rebuilt used turbo or a used turbo in good condition will do the trick I would suggest a 16t as a good upgrade which is the turbo from the s60 t5 and it is a direct swap.

As far as downpipe there is a member selling an elevate downpipe in the classifieds which is a great downpipe for 400 plus shipping which is a great deal, there is the CNT and OBX ones on ebay, then the IPD downpipe. Not saying the EST downpipe is a bad downpipe it's great just giving you some options to pick from if you werent aware.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I buy the tune first before the bigger turbo or try and buy them both and install them at the same time?

·
Registered
785 Posts
As far as exhaust goes, I would get a cheap OBX system off ebay. It's an 01 after all. No sense throwing $2000 into a super exhaust.
Does IPD's CAI fit the 2.4T?

Do the tune after upgrades.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah see that's what I was thinking as well. They dont have much parts for this model, because I mean its not a R model or even t5 so I'm not going to go too crazy on it as far as "high end" parts goes. I was just looking on ebay at obx and I think I am going to do that. A lot cheaper and is better than stock haha
I dont think any of the ehaust from ipd fit my car as it says on the sight.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Even tuned these cars aren't anything special really. New v6 mustangs have 300hp and run 13s in the 1/4 mile, new bmw 328s run low 14s in the 1/4, hell even the 07+ civic si will run low 14s with headers and a tune. Save your money and buy an s2k or something you will truly enjoy. If not you will be like many of us and literally throw thousands upon thousands away on a somewhat hopeless chassis.

I love my car, but its not a good place to start if performance is your goal. The only hope they have is making passengers think they are quick.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
keep it simple. DP + ARD tune.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I don't know what all the bashing is about the '01 2.4T?? I mean it's one of the best engines Volvo has made and the car is essentially the same from '01 to '09. Obviously in stock form it's not meant to be raced competitively but with a few tweaks you can make it into a very fun car. Are you looking to build a race car or are you looking to improve your current S60? I mean sure if you want to go all fast and furious you would be better with a Honda or DSM but if you are looking to enjoy the S60 a bit more than you have almost unlimited options.

I don't have much concern on the difference between the 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 blocks, almost identical and all can be made quicker with the same bolt ons. If you wanted to you could build any of them with rods and ported heads, get a big old turbo and start putting down serious HP numbers.

Parts for the '01 are gonna be the same as any other S60, IPD exhaust will certainly fit as well as any other of the common brands like EST, OBX, BSR, etc.......

For the 16T turbo upgrade you would want to look for a used unit from another member on here or volvospeed, forget about spending $1600 on a new turbo from ViVA. I just sold a wicked awesome 16T on here for $400 so they are definitely around.

You guys make me laugh, seriously dogging an '01 S60 as some useless car, go look at the cars on VS, they have 240s and 855s, S70s and such that are from the 70's, 80's and 90's that have more work done in the engine bay than what an '01 S60 costs these days.If you want to build a monster you can do it, if you want to make it more fun to drive you can do it.

End Rant.

Enjoy the car man, whatever you end up doing to it.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Not bagging his car, just bagging p2s in general. Yes, even my T5.

The 94-97 850 turbos were pretty quick when they came out... 18 years ago, even 10 years ago they were basically just as capable as s60s were. Now that our cars are around 10 years old(same engine..few refinements), technology is starting to show age and our cars aren't nearly as competitive as they once were.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I know what you mean but that doesn't mean this guy can't mod the S60. My comment was mostly directed at OP anyways as he seems to be under the impression that the 2.4T isn't as "popular" as the T5 or R, which is incorrect, far more people have the 2.4T/2.5T and the market is as big if not bigger than for the T5/R motor. I just wanted to say that you can do the same things to a 2.4T that you can to the T5 or R motor, literally the sky is the limit.

Now like you said, are you gonna be blowing the doors off modern M3s? Not a chance. But the 2.4T can be modded like any other of the whiteblock 5 cylinders and yield impressive results for what it is.

·
Registered
877 Posts
In the end its how much money your willing to dish out to mod the car. The s60 is a great car, personally I was partially given this car by my parents (I paid for a portion of it) and thats what I got and I worked with what I had. There are days that I wonder why I spent so much money to get it to where it is but then I remember there is a small percentage of modified volvos in the U.S. so it makes it unique, its a fun car, and I get strange looks which i love. I will say if I were to sell the s60 today I would most likely get an s2k or an e39 m5 if I could find one decently priced. But for now I will continue to mod the s60 and love every bit of it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I know what you mean but that doesn't mean this guy can't mod the S60. My comment was mostly directed at OP anyways as he seems to be under the impression that the 2.4T isn't as "popular" as the T5 or R, which is incorrect, far more people have the 2.4T/2.5T and the market is as big if not bigger than for the T5/R motor. I just wanted to say that you can do the same things to a 2.4T that you can to the T5 or R motor, literally the sky is the limit.

Now like you said, are you gonna be blowing the doors off modern M3s? Not a chance. But the 2.4T can be modded like any other of the whiteblock 5 cylinders and yield impressive results for what it is.
In the end its how much money your willing to dish out to mod the car. The s60 is a great car, personally I was partially given this car by my parents (I paid for a portion of it) and thats what I got and I worked with what I had. There are days that I wonder why I spent so much money to get it to where it is but then I remember there is a small percentage of modified volvos in the U.S. so it makes it unique, its a fun car, and I get strange looks which i love. I will say if I were to sell the s60 today I would most likely get an s2k or an e39 m5 if I could find one decently priced. But for now I will continue to mod the s60 and love every bit of it.
+1 to both. Very well put.

Modifying Volvo's isn't about trying to make your vehicle the best out there, but being a part of such a small, tight-knit enthusiast community. Personally, most of the appeal for me is trying new things that haven't been documented/commonly done yet with this platform. It's all about being unique and avoiding stereotypical car scenes. I always appreciate it when someone compliments my car or does a double-take and asks them self "is that a Volvo?!"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I am just doing all this for fun not for racing haha
It's a great car and love everything about it. It's a 01 and only has 120k miles. I love crusing around in it and I love embarracing people when it comes to speed.
My frriend has this honda prelude with full exhaust, lowerd, new wheels and yet he couldnt beat me in a straight even if his life depended on it. I love that about my car. so I just want to make it alittle more faster and I want that nice low growl that volvos make. I actually named my car Darth Vator because of that est intake it has haha you can hear it breathing all the time!

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts