SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, for a little background I have a 2013 S60 T60 fwd that I bought used with 86,000 miles on it about a year and a half ago. I purchased it from a dealer as a documented one owner that was serviced by a Volvo dealer regularly the whole time the first owner had it. The car now has 118,000 miles on it and I've performed the following since I've owned it: 87,000 miles new Volvo Iridium spark plugs, Mann filters and regular oil changes every 5,000 miles with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w30. Around 106k the pcv/oil filter housing needed replaced and finally around 110k the drivers side door lock actuator had to be replaced. I even sent off for a Blackstone oil analysis after 5k miles at 114k and it reported very good and less than normal engine wear.

I do all my own work and am meticulous about servicing at or before recommended service intervals. The main problem I've always had with the car is since I've owned it its always burned about 5-7 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles! I check it weekly and top it off as needed. I specifically avoided the 2011 and 2012 models when looking to buy a Volvo since they had a known oil consumption TSB issued with the only "repair" being to replace the engine rings.

Well, as of February of 2019 the same TSB has been issued for the 203-16 2.5L's and I'm starting to feel the wrath of all of the oil consumption. Started getting a cylinder 3 misfire next week and pulled all of the plugs only to find all except for the #1 cylinder to be horribly oil fouled. I erased the code and replaced the plugs with 5 Denso Iridium plugs, which has shown a noticeable improvement in performance.

Haven't done any compression tests yet but knowing the plugs were in that bad of shape in 30K miles, the engine's days have to be numbered. I still owe $8500 on the car and am sure I couldn't get that out of it even though its in very good condition otherwise. I have the mechanical ability and could make room to rebuild the engine myself but at this point it feels like a losing battle with a lemon. Plus, parts aren't cheap and a good chunk of repair info has to be bought as per subscription from Volvo.

Has anyone had any luck getting dealers to pay for repairs on TSB's with Volvo? (unlikely since its not a recall)

Would running an oil catch can help enough to prevent issues such as O2 sensor fouling as the engine gets worse or clogging the cat converter over time?

If the answer is NO to the above two questions, should I just bite the bullet and trade it or sell it outright at a loss on another car?

This is my first time owning anything European or Turbo and it is't sitting too well with such a major issue surfacing at what I would consider low miles if it were a Honda or Toyota. (I know, an apples to oranges comparison but that's the bar for reliability I'm used to.) The drive train and interior refinement are definitely a step above similar Japanese or Domestic manufactures.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just over a year ago I noticed my MY 2014 5-cyliner was down on oil AGIN in a short period on time, told dealer, they said "don't add oil we'll check it out". One owner, me. Car was 6 months out of warrenty, maybe 42K miles. They did a check said it was bad rings, replaced them under 'goodwill", zero cost to me. As a second owner, with 118K, but have all doc's from 1st owner you may have leverage to get it fixed free. I'm sure there's others here that went thur this, on 2014 cars. Do a search, there's more the one thread about this issue. Try to make Volvo fix this first. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
A new TSB. Hmm. How do I check if my T5 falls under the same vin range?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just over a year ago I noticed my MY 2014 5-cyliner was down on oil AGIN in a short period on time, told dealer, they said "don't add oil we'll check it out". One owner, me. Car was 6 months out of warrenty, maybe 42K miles. They did a check said it was bad rings, replaced them under 'goodwill", zero cost to me. As a second owner, with 118K, but have all doc's from 1st owner you may have leverage to get it fixed free. I'm sure there's others here that went thur this, on 2014 cars. Do a search, there's more the one thread about this issue. Try to make Volvo fix this first. Good luck!!
I don’t see any goodwill related to the engine taking place at 118K. Docs or not, 118K is well past the goodwill stage in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Hey everyone, for a little background I have a 2013 S60 T60 fwd that I bought used with 86,000 miles on it about a year and a half ago. I purchased it from a dealer as a documented one owner that was serviced by a Volvo dealer regularly the whole time the first owner had it. The car now has 118,000 miles on it and I've performed the following since I've owned it: 87,000 miles new Volvo Iridium spark plugs, Mann filters and regular oil changes every 5,000 miles with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w30. Around 106k the pcv/oil filter housing needed replaced and finally around 110k the drivers side door lock actuator had to be replaced. I even sent off for a Blackstone oil analysis after 5k miles at 114k and it reported very good and less than normal engine wear.

I do all my own work and am meticulous about servicing at or before recommended service intervals. The main problem I've always had with the car is since I've owned it its always burned about 5-7 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles! I check it weekly and top it off as needed. I specifically avoided the 2011 and 2012 models when looking to buy a Volvo since they had a known oil consumption TSB issued with the only "repair" being to replace the engine rings.

Well, as of February of 2019 the same TSB has been issued for the 203-16 2.5L's and I'm starting to feel the wrath of all of the oil consumption. Started getting a cylinder 3 misfire next week and pulled all of the plugs only to find all except for the #1 cylinder to be horribly oil fouled. I erased the code and replaced the plugs with 5 Denso Iridium plugs, which has shown a noticeable improvement in performance.

Haven't done any compression tests yet but knowing the plugs were in that bad of shape in 30K miles, the engine's days have to be numbered. I still owe $8500 on the car and am sure I couldn't get that out of it even though its in very good condition otherwise. I have the mechanical ability and could make room to rebuild the engine myself but at this point it feels like a losing battle with a lemon. Plus, parts aren't cheap and a good chunk of repair info has to be bought as per subscription from Volvo.

Has anyone had any luck getting dealers to pay for repairs on TSB's with Volvo? (unlikely since its not a recall)

Would running an oil catch can help enough to prevent issues such as O2 sensor fouling as the engine gets worse or clogging the cat converter over time?

If the answer is NO to the above two questions, should I just bite the bullet and trade it or sell it outright at a loss on another car?

This is my first time owning anything European or Turbo and it is't sitting too well with such a major issue surfacing at what I would consider low miles if it were a Honda or Toyota. (I know, an apples to oranges comparison but that's the bar for reliability I'm used to.) The drive train and interior refinement are definitely a step above similar Japanese or Domestic manufactures.
1. If vehicle was always serviced at Volvo, it couldn't hurt to make a go around and ask for assistance. Do you have meticulous records showing all services?

2. Did you buy the car from Independent Lot or a Volvo?

3. 2015, 2015.5, and 2016 also have a TSB about oil consumption and bad piston rings. Luck of the draw. Seems Volvo had a stent of bad years with rings.

Change Salutations. Email Both Emails for Mr. Casey. Send each one their own email.

Scott Doering ([email protected]) as well as Bill Casey ([email protected] and also [email protected])

Dear Mr. Doering (Mr. Casey),

On X date, I purchased a 2013 Volvo S60 T6 (if from a Volvo Dealer state name) with 87,000 miles. The car was a one owner vehicle serviced at Volvo for the entirety of its life prior to my purchasing. See attached maintenance records. Unfortunately, even a meticulous maintenance history was not enough to prevent this vehicle from developing an oil consumption problem (TSB #). And at 118,000, the car runs through 5-7 quarts every 5,000. With the vehicle now misfiring on cylinder 3. After pulling the plugs, I found all plugs, except for cylinder #1, to be horrible fouled with oil.

Therefore, I am reaching out to Corporate in hopes something can be done to help resolve my problem. I understand this vehicle is a 2013 and has some age, but it was also a Volvo Only serviced vehicle. Which again, concerns me since the car received the best of care.

Respectfully,

Name
Phone Number

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
sorry to hear about your predicament, I have heard a prior member report of a 2013 S60 T5 2.5T with the oil consumption issue, disturbing.

I'm not sure there has been a "Technical Journal" besides the original TJ-29871 which Volvo themselves issued back in February of 2015 but it only covers the 2012 S60 T5 only..not 2013s as far as I know.

I know because I have one and it consumes a quart every 500-1000 miles like clockwork. Mines is apart right now because the belt skipped on me causing valve damage. At least yours runs.

Here's the TJ-29871 to replace the piston rings :

https://images.firstcallonline.com/parts/img/motor2/130443.pdf

My car is in pieces and I have considered dropping the pan and popping out the pistons and changing the rings now. Big job. If the dealer covers it...do it. They only wanted to cover me for half of the cost. Obviously taking off the head and getting to that point is a huge decision.

If dealer does not cover costs I would try to trade it in at the dealer where you bought it with any comparably priced car....if they will

Tough decision..sorry to hear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the responses so far! The TSB that covers the 13-16 2.5L is essentially an extension of the original TSB for the 2012 models; the updated TSB is 29871.3.0. I would attach the PDF file but can't attach a PDF and don't have the Word document converter to convert the document. Essentially its the same exact TSB that has been referred to and posted on this thread.

I've reached out to Mr.Casey and Mr.Doering, so fingers crossed Volvo will step in and take care of this oil consumption issue as some of the 2012 owners have been granted. Haven't taken my car to the local dealer yet since I'd like to see if I make it anywhere with corporate first. Hopefully the process moves along quickly enough since I've got over 118K on the original Timing belt and drive belts, the last thing I need at this point is for the engine to jump time.

I'll keep everyone up to date if progress is made with corporate. Keep the good info coming, cheers! :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts