SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting the IPD Track Spec sways, and figure I'll replace the end links while I'm at it.

Whats the consensus on best replacement? I've heard both good and bad about the IPD sway end links. I've heard people say theyd rather replace with OEM than use the IPD links.

Just looking for some general feedback.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
F that, get tki's endlinks. Thank me later.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I struggled with endlinks for a long time before I switched back to OEM.

First, I went with IPD HDs. 2 sets, each lasting less than a year before they started rattling. They just don't seem to hold up well. Not sure if it is bumpy city roads or northern winters or what. I had these installed with the sway bars so I can't comment on their impact on handling/comfort.

Then, I went with the TKi HD endlinks. Very nice looking, but these started rattling even sooner, a couple of months. The ride quality on rough roads also suffered quite a bit and handling was a bit weird because of the stiff link between the front wheels.

I finally went back to OEM just because I didn't have any other option. I've had OEM on for almost two years now without a sound. The handling actually didn't dramatically change either from the TKi's to the OEM. It was very very slightly less responsive, but way better in terms of being able to handle on rough roads.

So if you only track the car, or drive on glass smooth roads, try aftermarket, but the difference isn't that big and OEMs seem to be more durable and make for a less skittish daily driver.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I just got Meyle HD endlinks in the rear at $15 a piece. I'm going to install the fronts over the weekend. The rattles are gone and the handling is awesome. My rear OEM ones were shot.

·
Registered
747 Posts
IPD HD for me. The first set wore out and IPD replaced them under warranty. The set they replaced them with has been great. Going on two years.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I also have had the mehle hds for over 2 yrs now with no issues and great performance.

·
Registered
717 Posts
TKI endlinks front and rear. Mine started rattling because they kept coming loose, even with loctite. I eventually fixed things by using an extra jam-nut and Gorilla Glue on the threads:).

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
iPd HD endlinks here that lasted only a few thousand miles (fronts) :mad: They are sending me new ones that I hope are better... The rears are still hanging in there.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
So once the car is on jackstands and the wheels are off these are like a 10 minute job?

I'm at 112K miles and don't think the endlinks were ever changed... no complaints with them but I'm tempted to try some new ones...

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ Yep, very easy to swap out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So once the car is on jackstands and the wheels are off these are like a 10 minute job?
If you need 10 minutes to swap these, that is either because you went to the hardware store buy a Torx Bit, or you spent 9 minutes drinking a beer... :D

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you need 10 minutes to swap these, that is either because you went to the hardware store buy a Torx Bit, or you spent 9 minutes drinking a beer... :D
Clearance for tools is a bit of a pain though. I remember not having a lot of room for the wrench which added to the frustration factor (I love unscrewing things 1/4 of a turn at a time), but yeah, not hard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. Thanks for all the input. Looks like I'm buying the Mehle End links. What site did you buy them off of? I google searched them but couldnt find a site selling them. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Ok. Thanks for all the input. Looks like I'm buying the Mehle End links. What site did you buy them off of? I google searched them but couldnt find a site selling them. Thanks.
I would suggest buying the mevotech front and rear links from Rock Auto. You should be able to find a 5-10% off discount code for Rock Auto if you do a quick google search. Here is a link to TJM S60R's thread that has some photos showing the mevotech links compared to the stock links: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?165895-End-link-install-with-pics&

The nice thing about the rear mevotech links is that they have re-greasing nipples, so if you have a grease gun you can periodically re-grease them. Also, the ball-joint on the mevotech links is all metal, which means that it should last longer than the metal ball/plastic socket joint found in most links.

I think that FCP (fcp groton and fcp euro) used to carry the Meyle HD end link, but I'm not sure if they still carry them or not.

Cheers,

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts