SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep searching for the stock speaker size in my VR without having to pull the door panels but can't find it anywhere. Someone had responded to my car thread and stated the fronts are 8", 3.5" and 2" tweeters but when I measure the grill opening, it's only a bit over 5". Can anyone confirm the front and rear speaker size and if anyone has upgraded their entire systems (including speakers), please post some photos or links.

If there are already threads on this, please let me know but I searched speaker size, stereo upgrade, stereo, checked the FAQ's etc and came up with no posts or threads about upgrading to aftermarket speakers using stock sizes. I have also checked crutchfield etc and it just says no vehicle info for the R's.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Front door woofers-8"
Rear door woofers-6.5"
Rear shelf woofers-8"
Center surround speaker-5.5"
Tweeters-1"
Mids-3"

It might be easier to make a 8"->6.5" adapter instead of trying to find a replacement to the 8" stock speaker.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was hoping. I definitely plan on using 8" mid drivers. Have dreamed of making a system using 8's forever :)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The stock speaker holders I believe are riveted into the door panel so they need to be removed before you can replace the speakers. I also believe the speakers themselves are riveted into the holder.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Front door woofers-8"
Rear door woofers-6.5"
Rear shelf woofers-8"
Center surround speaker-5.5"
Tweeters-1"
Mids-3"

It might be easier to make a 8"->6.5" adapter instead of trying to find a replacement to the 8" stock speaker.
What about the dash speakers (along the windshield)?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What about the dash speakers (along the windshield)?
? only speaker in the dash is the center surround speaker which is 5.5" I think what you are referring to are air vents.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the VR have 8's in the rear corners as well? You had mentioned 8" rear shelf so assumed that was the SR.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Does the VR have 8's in the rear corners as well? You had mentioned 8" rear shelf so assumed that was the SR.
No clue. I have the SR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Why would you want a stereo upgrade? Do you not have the 850?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Why would you want a stereo upgrade? Do you not have the 850?
Cause he wants something better? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I admit the stock stereo is great but I want more and I don't just mean the factory sub option.. Car audio is a huge industry so it's not like I am nuts for wanting to upgrade. I want a nice 3 way component setup up front, a nice 2 way system in the rear and either a single DVC 10" or 12". In my BMW, I have a Kenwood KIV-701 4v head unit, Polk 1100.5 5 channel amp and Polk MM5251 components front and rear with a 10" Kicker square L7 in a sealed box. My musical taste is extremely diverse so I need a loud, clean system with good punch. Don't need a ton of boom. Since a wagon is the best platform for a killer system and I drive a lot, I want something incredible that outperforms my BMW stereo. At home I have Definitive BP series towers. I love music when you hear it through the right system.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I have a GROM unit hooked up to the stock HU-850 and I also added an 1000watt amp and 2 10" inifinty subs and the sound is very good but if I had the time (and money) I'd totally redo my whole stereo system also.

The door panels are easy too take off so I would say just remove them and measure the speakers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
? only speaker in the dash is the center surround speaker which is 5.5" I think what you are referring to are air vents.
Really? So they put speaker grilles on vents? I did not know that.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
After a nice drive today I notice my Right Rear speaker is gone. I have not noticed upgrades for factory speakers with stock head units so does anyone with Vida have a part number ? Might as well do both since it will be in the shop. I am not thrilled with the factory HU but like the function and look. Whats really funny is I have become the reason I got out the the Auto Stereo Biz

TIA

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Really? So they put speaker grilles on vents? I did not know that.
I could be wrong. I always thought they were speakers also but I don't have sound coming out of mine, only the center speaker and I only ever see the center speaker listed as the only dash speaker.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
After a nice drive today I notice my Right Rear speaker is gone. I have not noticed upgrades for factory speakers with stock head units so does anyone with Vida have a part number ? Might as well do both since it will be in the shop. I am not thrilled with the factory HU but like the function and look. Whats really funny is I have become the reason I got out the the Auto Stereo Biz

TIA
I'll see if I can find the PN# but it would be cheaper to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The photos limked to show speaker for the HU stock head as it has a blank. The premium speakers actually have two speakers at the bottom of the front door, one facing to the radio and one towards the rear of the car. I bought a set of salvage premium speakers from an R and installed for my HU upgrade like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S70-R...eo&hash=item35be87ce0c&vxp=mtr#ht_2039wt_1135

Ebay shows the speakers well. Note the premium speakers and non premium speakers share the same dash center speaker, so no need to replace it if going from HU to premium.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I still don't see the point in an upgrade, there's very little that would actually make it sound better. Just saying, and most will agree that the HU-850 is one of the best factory car stereos in just about any mid-range car.

If anything, a little more bass would be nice with some good quality subs, but it's loud enough to make you go deaf. Why do you want to go deaf faster?

Was anyone aware then when you have the speakers replaced at the dealer they do a procedure that calibrates the speakers specifically to your car, because of the Dolby PLII? Just like you would calibrate a new Bose lifestyle system to your house.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts