SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just put my "winter" wheels on my R. Calling them winter wheels is a bit misleading however. The previous owner bought a new set of Potenza all seasons when he got the car. Less than 1000 miles later decided he didn't like the badly curbed 17" Pegs the car came with and bought some 18" Nebulas and slapped a set of 225 summers on them. As such I didn't realize until I switched to these wheels that I would have an issue with rubbing with the correct 235 width tires.

So, what is the minimum size front spacer I can get away with to prevent 235/45R17 Potenza RE970AS Pole Positions from rubbing when I turn the wheel past one full revolution in either direction? I noticed in a previous spacers topic that the front track of the R is wider than the rear, which means I should probably get one size up in rear spacers from whatever I get for the front, but first things first.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I believe people have gotten rid of rub with as little as 5mm spacers, but it depends on the tires. I'd go with 10mm to be safe.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
12MM is a recommended width

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
So I just put my "winter" wheels on my R. Calling them winter wheels is a bit misleading however. The previous owner bought a new set of Potenza all seasons when he got the car. Less than 1000 miles later decided he didn't like the badly curbed 17" Pegs the car came with and bought some 18" Nebulas and slapped a set of 225 summers on them. As such I didn't realize until I switched to these wheels that I would have an issue with rubbing with the correct 235 width tires.

So, what is the minimum size front spacer I can get away with to prevent 235/45R17 Potenza RE970AS Pole Positions from rubbing when I turn the wheel past one full revolution in either direction? I noticed in a previous spacers topic that the front track of the R is wider than the rear, which means I should probably get one size up in rear spacers from whatever I get for the front, but first things first.
I assume these are on the 17" Pegs? If so, I recommend 10mm front, 10mm or 15mm rear spacers. Contact me if you'd like to order them!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't have any issues with rubbing in the rear with 15mm? I saw a couple mentions of people having that issue with 15mm in the rear.

And yes, 17" pegs.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I won't have any issues with rubbing in the rear with 15mm? I saw a couple mentions of people having that issue with 15mm in the rear.

And yes, 17" pegs.
No, not if your suspension is not lowered and you are using 17" Pegs with factory-spec tires.

15mm spacers rub on the rear axle on bumps, on lowered cars when you have 2+ people in the backseat

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I almost never have anyone in my backseat and I don't intend to lower the car... so 15mm it is I guess! Will have to wait until after the Christmas shopping though :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
North shore, Ipswich to be specific. I normally just say North shore though because nobody knows where Ipswich is :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts