SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally took the plunge and bought a S60 AWD with the Premium package, DSTC, 17" Thor wheels and the Audio Max stereo. I get it this Wednesday hopefully.

So what can expect in terms of performance from this baby? Will it be similar in 0-60 times compared to the 2.4T?

I hear the stereo is incredibly good so I'm looking forward to hearing it with a range of CD's.

I'm happy to join the ranks of the other satisfied owners here.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Iceman:
Well I finally took the plunge and bought a S60 AWD with the Premium package, DSTC, 17" Thor wheels and the Audio Max stereo. I get it this Wednesday hopefully.

So what can expect in terms of performance from this baby? Will it be similar in 0-60 times compared to the 2.4T?

I hear the stereo is incredibly good so I'm looking forward to hearing it with a range of CD's.

I'm happy to join the ranks of the other satisfied owners here.

Congratulations! So, you were able to find an AWD with DTSC? I thought that the first "DSTC" cars were not to arrive until March.

Acceleration compared to a 2.4T? Not sure but, to me, they almost feel the same. The AWD HAS to be a tiny bit slower than a FWD 2,4T but I don't think it is a big difference.

Enjoy it and send us a pic, if possible!

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
Iceman,

Congrats on the new car! DSTC + Haldex AWD should make an excellent combo for all kinds of weather. Enjoy!


-Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yannis, yep, there seem to be quite a few S60 AWD's with the DSTC option available up here. There were two black saphire ones that just arrived on the lot and at least three more coming in the next month.

The package here in Canada is the Pre-17 package as the dealer calls it. It has the premium package, DSTC and the 17" Thor wheels for $5000 CAD.

From what I've read the Haldex adds 150lbs but the increased traction makes up for most of the increase in weight.

Drew, I'm looking forward to the DSTC and AWD since I live in Vancouver. Over the last year it hasn't rained that much but amazingly we had a fair bit of snow a month or so back which is rare for us. I like the extra added safety that it provides since I have a 2 year old and one more on the way.

If this Volvo is as good as I think it will be then I'm thinking of changing my wife's Explorer to a V70 AWD or maybe even an XC90 if monetary considerations permit.

Oh and I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Pat

[This message has been edited by Iceman (edited 02-26-2002).]
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Iceman:
Yannis, yep, there seem to be quite a few S60 AWD's with the DSTC option available up here. There were two black saphire ones that just arrived on the lot and at least three more coming in the next month.

The package here in Canada is the Pre-17 package as the dealer calls it. It has the premium package, DSTC and the 17" Thor wheels for $5000 CAD.

From what I've read the Haldex adds 150lbs but the increased traction makes up for most of the increase in weight.

Drew, I'm looking forward to the DSTC and AWD since I live in Vancouver. Over the last year it hasn't rained that much but amazingly we had a fair bit of snow a month or so back which is rare for us. I like the extra added safety that it provides since I have a 2 year old and one more on the way.

If this Volvo is as good as I think it will be then I'm thinking of changing my wife's Explorer to a V70 AWD or maybe even an XC90 if monetary considerations permit.

Oh and I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Pat

[This message has been edited by Iceman (edited 02-26-2002).]
Ahhh! Gotcha! I did not realize you are in canada. Here in the US, we have not seen too many (if any, actually!) of them with DSTC.

On a dry road, you are not going to beat a FWD S60 2.4T since it is pretty tough to brake loose the wheels of the FWD car. On a wet road, you will win hands down! You could probably beat a T5 (on wet), at least through the 1st/2nd gears.

Enjoy it and...drive safely (how cliche!) hehehe!

Yannis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Greetings for the Great White North. I have to say that most of you folks probably haven't been able to explore the true wonders of the S60 AWD as I have here in Anchorage. I can just about count on two hands the number of times I've been able to drive on dry pavement since I got my car. By dry pavement I mean ice-free. I took delivery on January 10 and have been continually amazed since.

As far as what to expect with AWD? I've been beating the pants off all sorts of AWD, 4WD and FWD vehicles since day one. The W button is truly overpowering and somewhat scary on ice. If you romp on the gas it will take off all right, barely spinning the wheels. I experienced it on an icy overpass from a dead stop at a traffic light. I thought I was going to end up in the back seat. Needless to say I was instantly 4 or 5 car lengths in front of everyone. Whew!!

Mine is outfitted with Michelin MXV4 Plus tires on 16-inch rims. Not the winter tires I'd like since I'm pretty spoiled by Bridgestone Blizzaks. Hope to upgrade to bigger wheels later. I leased this car from the dealer as is (with nearly everything) because I couldn't wait 4 months for a special order. Got into it for $1500 - a very sweet deal. The dealer here gets a whole three S60's a month or so. Mine was one of three and the first two didn't even make it off the vessel that weekend.

Anyway, you will never know the true virtues of this car until you have it on snow or ice. What a ride it is!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Hi -

I am new to this forum - but another Canadian. Just wanted to confirm how AMAZING the AWD is in the snow. AMAZING...

By the way, ICEMAN, about the Pre-17 package - do AWD with DTSC come with a button to turn DTSC on or off on the dash below the radio? Or does anyone else know?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Calamazoo,

I do believe there is a button to the left of the steering column that turns DTSC on and off but I'll know for sure tomorrow (I hope).

Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
Welcome to the Canadians.


The DSTC button is at the bottom row of buttons on the dash, notice in this picture it is turned on (green light).



-Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Drew -

Thanks. I think that AWD comes with STC but there is no button for that like it would with the 2.4T or the T5.

Also, if you look at the panel on the left of the dash where the headlight switch is located, I noticed that you have two dials. I have only one dial - that is to control the brightness of the dash. However, just below that, I have two small buttons where the picture shows one button. Those two buttons I have are for the front and back fogs.

Can you tell me what the other dial (the dial closer to the headlight switch) is for?

Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Calamazoo:

Can you tell me what the other dial (the dial closer to the headlight switch) is for?

Thanks!!
The second dial next to the 'dash brightness' one is for adjusting the level of the headlights. As far as I know, this feature is not available for North American bound production cars.

This feature is useful if you are carrying a lot of passengers in the rear or towing something so that you can automatically adjust the headlight level to compensate for load.

But note, this is only for 'halogen' equipped cars. The new ones with the 'bi-xenon' option have an auto leveling system as required by EU HID code.

Maybe some UK & Euro owners can explain this option to us further.


-Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I picked up my S60 last night and it took some getting used to but now that I've driven it a bit its feeling really nice. I do have a slight rattle coming from the passenger side. I'm not sure if its the door or the glove compartment.

Anyway, the Thor wheels look as great as I thought they would and the AWD is a little more jacked up than I thought it would be. Looks cool but very different initially.

But, all in all I'm super happy.

Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Pat - Congrats! I am sure you will enjoy it tremendously.

By the way, I experienced the same things that you did ... the sound from the passenger side was slightly improved when the dealer relubricated and tightened a bolt holding the power seat motor on the front passenger's seat.

Yes, I agree that the AWD looks a little "higher" off the ground than the 2.4T that parks near me at work...but the ride seems very good still.

Pat - did you notice a DSTC button on your console and have you tried driving with it on or off?

Take care!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Calamazoo,

Yep, I have the DTSC button on my center console. I've driven with it off but there's no difference I can discern of because the weather here's been great this past while. When it rains a bit I'll give it a try to see its impact.

From what I've read our AWD's are 1/2 inch higher in the front and 1 inch higher in the rear.

The HU-803 stereo is really good. The bass is clear and clean. I installed the fog lights as well and they are really bright. I kind of don't like having them on because I don't want to **** anyone off.

I was able to open it up a bit and it sure goes. I figure in a year or two I'll drive down to Portland and get IPD to reflash my ECU and put in the new exhaust.

Pat
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top